Embedded audio directional not working

Q&A about the latest versions
DMcKinney

I've got audio embedded into a scene but the directionality isn't working. Strange thing is that if I create a new project, the audio directionality works just fine - but it's not working in this project.

Check out http://www.vu-real.com/tours/7250-st-pe ... a-18062-2/ , and look for "memorial park" under the category "features and follies".

The audio is placed on the bench, but as you drag the scene around, you'll find no directional variation at all.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
audio.png
audio.png (625.54 KiB) Viewed 5579 times
k.ary.n
Gnome

Hi!

Strange. Is this the only directional sound? Because I'm not hearing directional sound in any of the nodes. In the new project you create, does it also have the menu and skin elements?
DMcKinney

This is the only scene where directional audio is being used, just as a demo to show it's not working for this particular project. All the other sounds are non-directional background sounds.

And, yes, if I create a project with the same skin and menu elements, directional audio works fine!

Maybe I'll try creating a new project and importing the old one into it, to see if that clears up this glitch? Still a bit new to Pano2vr! Or maybe just rebuild it from scratch...
DMcKinney

I created a new project, dropped in one panorama, and then imported the entire project into the new one, and that seems to have solved it! Audio direction is back! Which is great, because a lot of these scenes would benefit from it, for sure.
k.ary.n
Gnome

Oh great! Glad you got it working! It could have been that the project file got corrupt somehow...
MajPG

Hi!

I had kind of the same issue for days: As soon as you left the "Start Panorama" for a tour, each and every sound (of the active panorama) was "non-directionally" playing in the background - even if you came back to the "Start Panorama" where the directional sound was working fine before "touring".
What did it for me was (with despair un/checking every possible box regarding sound by trial and error), deactivating the "Sounds" transition in the HTML-5-Output option "Transitions".

Now it works like a charm... except for iOS. Of course.

On iOS 13.5.1 the directional sound is still not "directional". As soon as you open the panorama in which the directional sound was placed, you still can hear it everywhere (even if you leave the browser).
Is that something that I can fix in Pano2VR or does it depend on the next iOS update?

And on that note: On the iPad Pro (iOS 13.5.1) the sound doesn't even start at all, neither does the embedded Video (via Patch). Which is very unfortunate. Is there a way to fix that?
Note: On the iPad the Browser seems to be opening the non-mobile version of the menu (hence of the whole pano?). I no that because I de-/activated some buttons on iOS and the other way around (regarding the fullscreen and mute issues the iOS has).

Thanks for a fast response everyone!
DMcKinney

Interesting! I need to try the sounds transition option. Right now, in the old project, I have sounds set to crossfade. Maybe these sound transitions "break" directionality? I'll check it out! Thanks!
DMcKinney

Yes, that's the bug! Enabling audio transitions breaks direction for embedded sounds.

Created a simple 2 panorama project. Pano 1 had a directional, embedded sound. Pano 2 had a background sound. Directionality works fine until the audio transition crossfade is checked, then audio directionality disappears.

Can anyone else replicate this?
MajPG

„Glad“ you can confirm that.

I still have the issue of the directional sounds not playing directional on all the iOS devices and browsers (at least on iOS 13.5.1).

Anyone?
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
We had to remove WebAudio from iOS as Apple decided to drop it.
We had this working for a long time which they support it.
They dropped this some time back which completely broke sound on iOS without any warning.
So to get sound working again we had to drop this feature.
We hope this feature will return in iOS.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
MajPG

Hopki wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:15 pm Hi,
We had to remove WebAudio from iOS as Apple decided to drop it.
We had this working for a long time which they support it.
They dropped this some time back which completely broke sound on iOS without any warning.
So to get sound working again we had to drop this feature.
We hope this feature will return in iOS.
Regards,
Hi!

Thanks for your reply!
Good to know. WebAudio means everything regarding "special" audio content (like directional audio)?
Because audio in general (playing in the background) works on iOS.

Some well-intentioned feedback: Maybe you can have a warning in the program or at least in your documentation (something like an easy to find list of "current bugs" or something). I tried fixing such issues on my own for a few days (while not having time for that regarding the project I was working on), because I thought that I was doing something wrong.

Best regards!