Flash 10

Q&A about the latest versions
Peter Stephens

Hi,

I've just produced an image with Flash 10 and it feels really slugish, much worse than what I've done before in Flash 9. Here it is -

http://www.sphereworks.co.uk/vr_haytor_ ... flash.html

Settings:

I've turned on Flash 10 Export in settings.

Cube Face Size: 2100
Image Quality: 70 Down: 50

Render Quality: 10

Output Format: Flash 10

All the other settings are left alone.

How does the image feel to anyone else? Have I done something wrong or is it my computer?

Cheers,

Pete
hum@no.id

What monsters we here must meet? :roll:

ImageImage
Gumir J | VR Panoramic Photographer | mobile: +77055717171 | skype: gumirj
website: gumirj.com | google.com/+gumirj | facebook.com/gumirj | twitter.com/gumirj
360Texas

1st load fast [<less 10sec... rotates good with Flash 10.

[adsl 6mbps, Flash 10, PC Vista Ultimate SP1]

2nd load - instant from cache.

Both trials... no autorotation ?? Hmm must be a still photograph.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
Peter Stephens

When I say 'Slugish', I'm talking about when I'm rotating it, it's much more jurky that Flash 9 - which I find quite smooth. I will try on another computer tomorrow.

Pete
epoc

Click on the Advanced Setting Tab in the Flash output window. Increase the sensitivity tab to around 16. This will produce a more free flowing pan action.

Hope this helps
E
hum@no.id

Click on the Advanced Setting Tab in the Flash output window. Increase the sensitivity tab to around 16. This will produce a more free flowing pan action.
I'm sliding to full power (which there is) - Advanced Settings\ Control\ Sensitivity: 20 (high)
Gumir J | VR Panoramic Photographer | mobile: +77055717171 | skype: gumirj
website: gumirj.com | google.com/+gumirj | facebook.com/gumirj | twitter.com/gumirj
Peter Stephens

Changing the sensitivity to 20 helped a lot, thank you. Though I must say that it still doesn't feel as nice as the VR's I've done in Flash 9. I've uploaded the image now on the same link as above, you can see it here to - www.sphereworks.co.uk/blog.php I opened that one plus the Flash 9 image a few posts below at the same time to compare. To me the Flash 9 image runs really well, nice and smooth - the Flash 10 image is still a little jurky to navigate. A lot of people are saying how good Flash 10 is so I must be doing something wrong?

Has anyone got a good example of a Flash 10 image produced with pano2VR?

Cheers,

Pete
erik leeman

'Smoothness' or 'fluidity' or whatever you want to call it is just one quality of a VR image. Geometry ('waviness') is another. Geometry quality of Flash 9 VR images can, by design, only be on a scale of 'not very good' to 'bloody awful', while default geometry of Flash 10 VR images is almost perfect. That's one significant improvement!
Another important difference (in theory) is that Flash 10 is capable of using the GPU on the video card for some of the work necessary to show VR images. This, however, still does not work as good as it probably could. Plugins like DevalVR prove that hardware acceleration can be MUCH more effective. According to Adobe's Flash developers this will improve in time. We can only hope it does!

Regards,

Erik Leeman
Peter Stephens

Ok this is where I'm confused then. :?

You say 'Geometry quality of Flash 9 VR images can, by design, only be on a scale of 'not very good' to 'bloody awful', while default geometry of Flash 10 VR images is almost perfect'.... I disagree. All the images I've created on this page - http://www.sphereworks.co.uk/gallery.php are in Flash 9 and I can't see any waviness in the images. I would appreciate it if anyone could let me know if you can see waviness in them. I find these images very nearly as good as DevalVR and have had the same experience on other computers. I have seen images produced with FPP in Flash 10 for example on the panormas.dk website which run well, but again don't appear much different to what I have in Flash 9. The image I produced in Flash 10 with pano2VR is if anything worse than before.

Cheers,

Pete :)
Firefoxer

Sphereworks wrote: I can't see any waviness in the images.
Sphereworks, note that waviness is less or more visible depending on image and panorama settings, but they always are on Flash 9 panoramas. I had many troubles with this ugly effect on my panoramas, visited link you gave and found it on yours. See it on straight horizontal or vertical lines (better seen on high contrast zones) when quickly moving the view.
makiedog

Here's the first one that I converted to Flash 10, still experimenting to get the optimum settings: Fall Color in Minnesota.
http://www.aerial-xp.com/vr_flash/coon_ ... index.html

On my computer, I feel it is a significant improvement from Flash 9, no more wavies, especially on high-contrast straight lines.

Pat L
360Texas

Yes, looks great from here. Try setting the Autorotate to a slow .2 after 5 seconds and gravity reset to 1. This will rotate very very slow. And after tilt down or zoom in too far... after few seconds the panorama will auto restart and return the horizon.

Colors look great.

A friend of mine Mark at Hawkeyemedia.com does the same type of flying. His latest is Bolivar Peninsula Galveston Texas shortly after Hurricane IKE. He showed me his flying gear. You can see the results http://www.hawkeyemedia.com/default.asp
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
makiedog

Hi Dave,
Yes, I know Mark from a different forum. That dude has mad Flash skill! My work is partially inspired by him.

Pat L
Peter Stephens

Yes I see the waviness now. Still.... I prefer the feel of the Flash 9 panos with pano2VR. The Flash 10 panos with Flash Panorama Player feel better, why is this?

Makiedog, the buttons on your pano look good !

Cheers,

Pete