How do I reduce file/folder numbers and sizes?

Q&A about the latest versions
Branigan

Hi, using Pano2VR Light, exporting a very simple 7 node tour and it's 616 files in 472 folders, even thought it's only 32.3 MB in total.

That's a lot of files and folders, and folders are quite slow to access, especially when some of them just contain more folders with no images.

I initially tested the demo, so I had all the Trial text on everything (just bought it today though) and as it was refreshing the images in the background after the initial load, so the Trial text changed on various segments, but the images and their quality did not. I grabbed screenshots as it was doing this and could not tell the difference between the 'before' and 'after' sections. It seemed like it was loading in 'higher-res' versions that were actually the same res as the 'lower-res' because of the initial size of the panorama.

I'm not using particularly high-res images - 6080x3040 from an Insta360 One X - so I'd be happy to have it just use one, possibly two sets for mobile and desktop and many fewer files.

By contrast, the PTGUI viewer uses 14 images files ( 2 rows of a Hex 'sphere' and a nadir and zenith) and one tiny ' buffer/loading' image all in one folder and I'd like to get it closer to that for speed of loading and navigation.

Where might I start pruning and tuning to get it to only use the optimum number of files/resolutions/folders for the size of panorama I'm using?

Note: I may in future also be using some 30000 x 15000 source 'stitched' images, but I'll probably reduce their final size to 8000x4000 or so to match the others.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Branigan,
Multi-resolution will create folders and files.
The way Pano2VR handels multiresolution is the same as MS Deep zoom.
This prevents too many files in one folder which will result in a problem if you're going gigapixel.
As for speed, this is faster than using a single resolution image as the initial load is the resolution best suited for the viewport.
As you zoom higher resolution tiles will get loaded.
If you look into the output and tiles folder you should see the folders in order of nodes in the tour, then cube faces, I know it says cf 6 but that's the preview track.
Then inside each cube face are the levels for that cube face.

I would always recommend using the highest resolution panoramas you have as this will not slow down the download but will allow for a deeper zoom.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Branigan

Last edited by Branigan on Tue May 26, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Branigan

Never mind, found the Multi-image option and turned it off. :)

OK, now tuning to the 'correct size' produces some issues. Image width was 1520px ( 6080 width /4 cube sides) with an 'Optimum' option of 685px.

685 turned out very blurry and low-res, so optimum in what way?

I worked my way up through 1000 to 1200, to 1400 and decided that looked almost the same, so I've stuck with that at a small size saving. Left quality at 90.

Problems on the way were that at 1200 and 1000 the stitching wasn't working properly and seams were showing duplicated sections.