Pinning an alpha channel - my technique

Q&A about the latest versions
digitalnoodle

Well, I don't think it's possible to have alpha channels directly in PANO2VR, but I use this technique with Adobe After Effects to quickly create the pinned videos that match up nicely. Let me know if this helps anyone, or if there is a better way to accomplish this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoSxcAY ... e=youtu.be
digitalnoodle

For those doing the pinned video to match background, there's a quirky thing with more recent versions of Chrome and Safari on MacOS (video is brighter than the background panoramic) - the way I've solved this (not sure how perfect it will be in the field, but it works on the machines I've tested) - is to render out a version of the video that is darker. I created an acv file in photoshop to match, which can also be used in After Effects - attached here. I created it by making a 12 step grayscale pattern as the panoramic and put the same 12 step pattern as a pinned video, then compared the values and assigned the curve to adjust. From there, I had to create a mac version of the pano.xml file and determine browser and OS, then load the appropriate xml file (the xml file had all mp4's renamed to match the color corrected ones.

I tried for a couple of days with rendering with different color profiles, since I believe the issue is that jpgs and pngs are rendered with sRGB and hardware acceleration on the Mac assumes videos have 601/701 color profiles depending on their size.

I know that browser detection isn't perfect, nor is assuming that the user has hardware acceleration, but I think it will correct the issue in 90-95% of cases. So far, the color issue doesn't appear to affect Windows 10, Android or IOS.

Attachments
macOS-color-VideoCorrection-v2.zip
(228 Bytes) Downloaded 103 times