What about WebXR?

Q&A about the latest versions
tksharpless

The addition of WebVR support to v. 6.1 comes a bit late, given that it has been deprecated for a couple of years and may be dead soon.
Google and FB have both now officially dropped that API from their browsers in favor of WebXR only. Some of us are lobbying to get it restored to Oculus Browser because that has been a major channel for viewing millions of exisiting 360 photos in VR. Fortunately two other browsers that run on Oculus Go and Quest still support WebVR.
But its time is over, and WebXR is now required for any new work to be viewed immersively. It has been working in krpano for at least 6 months. When will P2VR catch up?
thomas
Chief Gnome

We are currently working on it. I was hoping, that they keep WebVR around for longer, as they only implemented WebXR with their previous version, and WebXR is still changing and not very stable. WebXR had some breaking changes and I always try to ship something that "works". I avoided it to not cause too much trouble, and a mixed WebXR/WebVR implementation was not feasible.
As WebVR is now very much dead, we can just have one implementation, but it may take a week or two.
MfG, Thomas
tksharpless

A week or 2! Impressive if you can deliver that fast.
Is it possible for the player to automatically select the WebVR API when it is available,and WebXR is not? It seems that may be the case for a while. Mozilla have announced they will be removing WebVR, but they have not yet released WebXR AFIK.
The most critical target is Chrome, because Oculus Browser is a Chromium branch, and most VR headsets are Oculus Go or Quest.
thomas
Chief Gnome

This issue is now fixed with Pano2VR 6.1.6.

We use the WebXR polyfill so, in theory, it should also work with browsers that only support WebVR.
MfG, Thomas