Pano2VR crashes created HTML5 Output

Q&A about the latest versions
zwikel

I moved the cache to the SSD that has 400 GB free. The HTML5 output processing still crashes.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
With the output already built, if you click the Generate Output button again, it will only process nodes that are not already processed.
If it wizzes through them then they are all there.
With regards to the crash, convert the panoramas to TIFF as suggested and then try again.
If it works then it still points to a storage issue.

How many nodes does the project have in total?
What you sent me was that all the nodes?

How much RAM does your system have?
I have tested this on two separate computers and each is OK!
Please convert to TIFF and test, let me know how you get on.

With regards to how much disk space you have and performance etc, your OS will have this information.
I did a quick Google and found this: https://www.howtogeek.com/school/using- ... o/lesson6/

Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
zwikel

Hopki wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:22 pm Hi,
With the output already built, if you click the Generate Output button again, it will only process nodes that are not already processed.
If it wizzes through them then they are all there.
With regards to the crash, convert the panoramas to TIFF as suggested and then try again.
If it works then it still points to a storage issue.

How many nodes does the project have in total?
What you sent me was that all the nodes?

How much RAM does your system have?
I have tested this on two separate computers and each is OK!
Please convert to TIFF and test, let me know how you get on.

With regards to how much disk space you have and performance etc, your OS will have this information.
I did a quick Google and found this: https://www.howtogeek.com/school/using- ... o/lesson6/

Regards,
Pano2VR does not wizz through the processing. It seems to continue where it left off when it crashed.

The project has 27 nodes. I sent you all of them. You should have observed that when you loaded the project and successfully generated the HTML5 output.

My system has 32 GB of memory. I monitored it during the HTML5 output processing and it never went above ~ 20 GB in use.

I will convert the images to TIF if necessary but that will consume roughly 20x the disk space for storage. I would like to avoid that if possible but will use TIF if absolutely necessary.

I would really appreciate some definite evidence that it is a disk space availability issue that is causing the crash. The fact that Pano2VR is able to continue and finish the HTML5 output processing after I reopen the project and generate output again indicates to me that it is not freeing up work space as it does the processing. Otherwise it would not be able to continue successfully after restart. It also seems to me that Pano2VR should be monitoring work space as it does the processing and warn the user if there is an issue. It should not crash.

I know how to measure disk space on a Windows 10 system. One of your previous posts says "Once all the images were loaded 197GB was cached". I am asking how you knew this amount was cached. Could you please explain?
zwikel

I would appreciate answer please?

Thank you
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Please convert to TIFF and test.
I can not reproduce your problem and I know we have many customers making Gigapixel tours and not having this problem leaves me thinking this may be a local issue.

As a test, I am using an MS Surface Go, Pano2VR and the project is on the 128GB internal SSD, C Drive and I am using an old spinning disk 2TB external HDD for Pano2VR's image cache location.
The Surface Go has an Intel Pentium 4415Y 1.60 GHz processor and 8GB Ram.

I won't lie, it takes an age to open but the point is it is opening the nodes as should.
As soon as it finishes loading I will see what the cache size is, remembering it only has 8GB Ram.
Then click the Generate Output button.

For your project, to see how large the image cache will be, create a folder on your D drive which has the most free space, I believe you said you have 400GB free.
Set this folder to be your image cache location.
Now load your project, after all, the images have opened in the tour browser, open the cache folder and see the properties of the temp file made by Pano2VR.

Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
Howard

Hi Hopki,

I've been seeing the "the pyramid message," followed by the app hanging, repeatedly since the last update. Quitting the program, and restarting it, seems to fix the issue.

Howard
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Howard,
Can you also do the same thing, make a folder and monitor the cache file size.
My little Surface Go is maxing out at 217GB cache.
I am using a 2TB spinning HDD and so far it’s fine.
Looking at the overview panel how large is to your images in GB and how much fee space do you have?
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
zwikel

Hopki,

I think Pano2VR may need to do a better job of managing its resources. The fact that is able to continue processing from where it stopped from a crash and finish would imply this. Also, it should recognize that it is running low on resources and either recover or generate a message warning the user before crashing. Does that make sense?

Thank you
Dean
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Dean,
As a follow up my little MS Surface Go with is 128GB C drive and its spinning 2TB external HDD processed your tour and created a fully working output.
It did take many hours as the speed of this device is really slow.
The cache file peeked at 217GB.

Using TIFFs generated from Pano2VR, did this solve your problem?
Please let me know.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
zwikel

Hopki,

I haven't tried the TIFF yet.

Could you please respond to the comments and questions in my previous post?

Thank you
Howard

Now... I cannot replicate the problem.

If memory serves... last week the crash was occuring when I was working with a tour that combined cylindrical and equirectangular images.

If it happens again, I'll let you know.

Howard
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Dean,
Ok, I needed to speak to Thomas first as I needed to check my understanding of disk space reporting before I answered you.

Pano2VR starts remapping where it left off because the tiles are built and are in the output folder, there is no need to remap and create new tiles if they are already in the output.
So, in theory, you could start Pano2VR building the output then stop it say after 5 nodes, then start it again, it would skip past the already built tiles and start remapping the new nodes.
This would save on the cache file size.

Disc management.
Pano2VR has a second process that askes the OS about the disk space, Pano2VR is looking for about 5GB, if the OS says it's running out Pano2VR will stop and ask you you to make space.
However, this was implemented some time back and now both Windows and macOS report this incorrectly.
You see it all the time in Device Manager, it reports disc size, use space and how much is left, often the numbers do not add up.
I also see the same in macOS.

When Pano2VR is told there is enough space it tries to write to it, more than likely its the OS that shuts down Pano2VR causing the crash.
I get the same thing with Photoshop, it also does not know when space is running out.
That said on my Mac I do see sometimes the message your hard drive is running low make more space, but sadly it is not reporting it back to the applications.

Pano2VR also has memory management for large file tours, "Large Projects", this is found under the Advanced tab of the Settings.
The default is Load all images immediately, selected, and Unload images to save memory, deselected.
If you swop them around this may also solve your problem.

But, converting to TIFF will mean you do not need to do any remapping when opening a project, as soon as it opens all the nodes will be there.
So after asking many times now, have you actually tried it yet?
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
zwikel

Hi Hopki,

Thank you for investigating. What you found out seems to explain why Pano2VR may not be able to detect a low disk space issue and crash in some situations. Hopefully, there will be a solution to this in the future.

Re: the Advanced Setting for Large Projects I already have "Load All Images Immediately" deselected and "Unload Images to Save Memory" selected.

I ran a test converting to TIFF files in Pano2VR and did not get the crash generating the HTML5 output. Unfortunately, as I said previously, that may not be a feasible solution for me as the TIFF files require about 16x the disk space vs JPG. In the case of the 27 node project I was testing, that equates to 10.9 GB for JPG files vs. 164.9 GB for TIFF files (154 GB TIFF + 10.9 GB JPG). That project is about 1/2 the size of each of my actual projects. I'll do some further testing with TIFF files. What I may have to do is use JPG files and restart Pano2VR if it continues to crash during generation of the HTML5 output. That seems to have worked for the test project.

Thank you
Dean
Truckscan

I'm having the same problem:

After running the app as admin and setting compatability for win 8 I had no more issues.

Also, don't know if this is related, getting your skin and/or html files from a synced folder (nas oder GoogleDrive...) seems to cause issues from time to time.

Greetings
Hopki
Gnome

HI,
If you start to create an output you can click the cancel button say after 20 nodes.
When you select the create output button again, Pano2VR will skip already created files and start where it left off.
It can do this as Pano2VR looks at the time stamp of the input image, as long as the output files are newer it will not remap existing output images/tiles.
Of course, if you edit the input image, this now becomes newer than the output and will get recreated.

As for warnings of low disk space, the OS should tell Pano2VR this but we have found that especially Mac OS it does not report accurately.
There should be tools in your OS to show disk space, on the Mac I just use finder and the disc properties, it tells my total, used and free space.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com