Pano2VR crashes created HTML5 Output

Q&A about the latest versions
zwikel

I'm having a problem generating HTML5 output for a project. It gets to where Pano2VR is "Calculating image pyramid" and then crashes. Any idea what might be causing this and how to correct it? I'm using 6.1.4 Pro 64-bit for Windows.
zwikel

I reduced the the project from 27 nodes to the first 10 nodes. Now it seems to hang at the part where it is "Calculating image pyramid". See screen snip below.

Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (104.72 KiB) Viewed 4416 times
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Dean,
Firstly the next major release is quite a way off and I do not have any dates.
To recap you are saying that each panorama opens ok individually, but when you have a few in a project you see the error.
I can not say I have seen this before in support, to this end, can you send in your project?

Can you make a tour with the minimum number of nodes that still shows the error then use something like Wetransfer or if you have our own server even better, zip the project up and send the download link to the e-mail below.
I doubt it is Exiftool causing the problem but can not say for sure until we see the project.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
zwikel

Hi. The problem is not with the panos opening. It is during the generation of HTML5 output. Pano2VR crashes towards the end of the processing while "calculating the image pyramid". I tried to isolate the problem by creating various subsets of the project and generating output but the problem only seems to occur when generating output for the entire project. I will upload the project and email the link to the files. Thank you.
zwikel

Hopki wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:55 am Hi Dean,
Firstly the next major release is quite a way off and I do not have any dates.
To recap you are saying that each panorama opens ok individually, but when you have a few in a project you see the error.
I can not say I have seen this before in support, to this end, can you send in your project?

Can you make a tour with the minimum number of nodes that still shows the error then use something like Wetransfer or if you have our own server even better, zip the project up and send the download link to the e-mail below.
I doubt it is Exiftool causing the problem but can not say for sure until we see the project.
Regards,
Link to download project files was sent to support@ggnome.com. Please confirm receipt. Thank you!
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Rather than sending an invite to the folder can you please just send a direct download link?
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
zwikel

Download link was sent to support@ggnome.com

Please confirm receipt. Thank you!
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
I downloaded your project and opened OK.

Things to check, the cache image location, is it large enough, not forgetting Pano2VR makes copies of the images in memory for speed.
The cache image location is it an external HDD, USB 2?
Is it on a network drive?

The only time you would see the pyramid message is if it is taking to long to write to the temporary cache location.
Please try these things and let me know.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
zwikel

Where you able to generate HTML5 output?

Image cache location is on internal SSD and has 200GB of free space.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Yes as said, it opens ok for me.
As a test can you select A folder on the c drive for the image cache location and test.
I will test with different machines when back in the office.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
zwikel

The image cache location is already on the C drive. The C drive is the internal SSD I was referring to.

Sorry, when you said "it opens OK" i didn't know what you meant by "it". I thought you meant the project not the generated HTML.

How do we determine what cause the problem?
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
I just clocked what you said, you have 200GB free!
Well that’s your problem right there.
You are running out of space.
It’s late here so switching off for the night, but process the project you sent to me but this time monitor you disc space.
As said Pano2VR makes copies of the files in memory to speed things up.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
zwikel

Available space on the C drive where cache is located remains at approximately 200 GB throughout the HTML5 output processing. Available space on the D drive where the project files are located remains at approximately 400 GB throughout the HTML5 output processing. Both drives are SSDs. Does not appear be running out of disk space. Pano2VR still crashes while calculating image pyramid.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
The project is using a lot of image cache, and you are at the very limit if you only have 200GB free.
Be aware, how computers report disk space is not accurate and don't forget all those hidden system files as well as how much Ram you have.

As a test to help explain I attached a 500GB SSD via USB 3 port to my Mac and used this for the image cache location.
Once all the images were loaded 197GB was cached, now my system has 64GB Ram, if I had less ram, then cache would be more.
So you are boarding on your 200GB limit of free space and hence why you are getting this issue.

You can do one of two things, first move the image chase location to your other drive which has the 400GB free.
Or and probably the best thing to do is convert all your panoramas to TIFF using Pano2VR.
Pano2VR will convert to Tilted TIFF's which will not require any loading or caching.
To do this Open your project, while the images are still loading select, Tour => Edit Master Node from the menu.
In the Properties Panel select Convert, make sure it's using Equirectangular and TIFF, then click Convert.
Once done your project will now open in less than a second rather than the minutes it takes when loading the JPGs and will not require the cache.

Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
zwikel

Thank you. How can I see how much disk space is actually being used for cache and how much disk space is actually available? Also, why doesn't Pano2VR monitor the cache and issue a warning message?

As an aside, after the last crash, I restarted Pano 2VR and opened the project file. It gave me a warning and then opened it. I clicked generate output. It completed the remainder of the output processing successfully and opened the tour in the browser. Can I trust that the output is correct?