Offline Android

Q&A about the latest versions
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Sebastian,
I have added your app to my Pixel3 phone using the Play Store, How do you add a PPGKG?
I have tried using Chrome to download a GGPKG but when I open your app it says no support files.
Can you give me the steps on how I should add a GGPKG.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
360Texas

Yes I too used my Samsung S9 to download your app from Play Store.
Maybe next version will have english HINTS as to how to make it work.

I used Chrome browser.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
sebastian_knopf

Hi together,

there's no possibility to open the GGPKG file directly from a file eplorer or download dialog actually. This is because Android does not know a file type "GGPKG". One device assumes a GGPKG to be a zip archive, another device does not know the type at all.

To make the app working this way, I'll need to find a way to achieve this, since more and more users are asking for this feature.

To open the GGPKG in the app, set into a location into your device storage, for e.g. where the pictures and videos are stored. When you open the app next time, it should find the GGPKG file on your storge system and display the preview image. When you tap on the preview, the panorama will be loaded.

@360Texas: I'm working on a translation for English, since most users seem to speak English actually.

Best regards,
Sebastian
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Sebastian,
On the Pixel 3 I have used File Transfer on the Mac and copied the ggpkg file to the Root Download Folder.
This shows up as a .ggpkg file.
However, when I open the App it says no compatible files found.
I have looked to see if there are any file permissions that I need to set but can not see any, that said I may have missed one.
Any thoughts?
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
sebastian_knopf

Hi Hopki,

that sounds not good at all... It could be an issue with the Android MediaSacnner. This is a background task in Android which scans the whole file system continuous and creates something like a dictionary of each file. The app fetches only this dictionary, not the file system itself.

Did you try another directory? Maybe restarting your device could be the solution, since this triggers the MediaScanner do work.

Regards
Sebastian
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Sebastian,
Here are some screenshots.
I am on the Mac so using File Transfer I placed the GGPKG in two locations:

Screenshot 2020-02-18 at 20.56.03.png
Screenshot 2020-02-18 at 20.56.03.png (70.18 KiB) Viewed 4236 times

I restarted the Pixel 3 and opened the App, this is what I see:

Screenshot_20200218-205824.png
Screenshot_20200218-205824.png (36.38 KiB) Viewed 4236 times

Testing on the Galaxy S7 I do see the preview in the app, but when clicked, the app crashes, I have sent the crash reports.
If we can be of any help please contact us at support@ggnome.com
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
sebastian_knopf

Hi Hopki,

I found an error message inside the Play Store, but I'm not sure, if this is yours, since this error must lead to an app crash even when loading the
preview images. I pushed another update to the Play Store, hopefully it goes online the next few hours. If this doesn't solve your error, I'll send you an email.

Regarding to your Pixel 3 mobile: This seems to be an error with the Android MediaScanner. I'll need to find a workaround for that, but it will take several days, since I never dealed with the MediaScanner on Android.

Regards
Sebastian
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Sebastian,
I updated the Galaxy S7 from the PlayStore. I can now see the panorama. :D
However one of the packages I have has pinned video when I open the panorama in the app the video plays but as soon as I touch the screen it stops playing.

With regards to the Google Pixel 3, when I opened the PayStore I see there was an update. But it would not update. I had to remove the old build then install the new build.

Now when I open it I get this:

Screenshot_20200221-135556.png
Screenshot_20200221-135556.png (72.59 KiB) Viewed 4192 times

Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
360Texas

YES... that is the same Message I get after clicking on the Android Panorama Viewer "GardenGnomeViewer Version 1.1.4" icon.

Samsung s9 with Android version 10 the build number is too long to write here... but we updated system last week.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
sebastian_knopf

Okay, sounds great! :-) I'll take the issue with the video into my todo list. A language support for English is also on the top.

The screen you posted above is a permission request screen. The app requires access to your local device storage and if you hit the button, it should ask you to grant the storage permission, doesn't it?
After you granted the storage permission, the preview images should load - or at least an "empty" message should be shown.

Regards
Sebastian
360Texas

It did as you say.

Your app displays only local storage location listed "Storage"
I did grant permission for your app to use it.

And I also have a 64GB memory card but it does not show on your app page.
Both do show as Local and CARD" on Android storage location browser.

I need to put a pano2vr .ggpkg on the smart phone to continue testing.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com