VR and general web users

Q&A about the latest versions
SRibas

On my website I deal mainly with the interpretation of monuments, buildings, towns and landscape. I have been using VR for this since 1998. Although VR editors have evolved, I notice that there is a void in the usefulness of VR, and the difficulty of many people to use it effectively. In this sense, my suggestion goes to the creation of control of the various aspects shown in a VR through the text outside the VR; the text we use to describe the theme we show in VR could be used as a link to show the part of VR that shows that word (Link)
For example, if I talk about roman cradle vaults of a particular chapel in the descriptive text of the html page, it would be a good experience for the user to click on that word "cradle vault" to position VR at the node, angle and zoom that showed this vault on the virtual tour
TheRealMojoJojo

I had to reread your post a few times before I realized that when you say VR (Virtual Reality) you are actually referring to a VT (Virtual Tour). Typically VR refers to a user wearing a VR headset.

You used to be able to do this using javascript api calls, but that was all flash based. I came across a post about this a while back but now can't find it. I'll keep looking. If I find something I will post it here.
TheRealMojoJojo

Found the post, here it is https://ggnome.com/wiki/JavaScript_API_%28Pano2VR%29 Not sure if it will help but maybe someone else will have some ideas.
BParker

If you aren't already familiar with it, this link on "direct node access" describes how to access an individual tour node using an external hyperlink:

https://ggnome.com/doc/pano2vr/beta/dna/

Full control over the pan, tilt, fov, and projection is supported.

This should let you link directly to any part of a tour from external text.
TheRealMojoJojo

BParker wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:48 am If you aren't already familiar with it, this link on "direct node access" describes how to access an individual tour node using an external hyperlink:

Sweet! Thanks for sharing BParker! Might be just what the doctor ordered :-)
SRibas

BParker wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:48 am If you aren't already familiar with it, this link on "direct node access" describes how to access an individual tour node using an external hyperlink:

Full control over the pan, tilt, fov, and projection is supported.

This should let you link directly to any part of a tour from external text.
Perhaps I should explain my point in portuguese no? ;-)
When Apple started with QTVR in 1997 we use the term VR or QTVR to our work in general.
Yes I use the direct node access with my site everyday to divide the "Virtual Tour".
I divide the "Virtual Tour" and use a html page for each of the most important nodes, and I use the direct node access for this (http://www.mywebsite.com/VirtualTour.ht ... ,tilt,zoom).
But the ideia is to control this Virtual tour from it´s own html page, but without having to reload all the page, just controling the pan,tilt,zoom inside the "Virtual Tour".
If you know how to code this URL to control the Virtual Tour without reloading all the page, than it would be great
Bostjan

There it is a lot of misunderstanding what "VR" is... even from the beginning of publishing "immersive images" on the internet. The first term for 'that' immersive images was VRP or Virtual Reality Panoramas. So some are referring "VR" to that first term. As that immersive images - I am using the term 360° Surround Photography or 360° Surround Video (that term was also used with presenting Yellow Bird 360 video camera about 15 years ago. So 360° Surround Photography (or image) vs 360° photography (or image) or 'panorama' when 360° image is with the mathematical projection to sphere, cylinder... and get the minimal element when it can be (barely) named "VR" (still not 3D but 2.5D after the projection)... I consider the first step into VR (with the photography - no need for 360°) when using stereo and sure the second step when used with HMD.
SRibas

This discussion is not about VR, but about controling or not Pano2VR Virtual Tours from a html page.

If you have any doubt regarding VR and QTVR you can read : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuickTime_VR
TheRealMojoJojo

Bostjan wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:33 pm There it is a lot of misunderstanding what "VR" is...
Bostjan wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:33 pm If you have any doubt regarding VR and QTVR you can read : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuickTime_VR
Lol, for sure, however I think that the fact that Pano2VR has an actual VR mode that has nothing to do with the typical tour unless you include it, that it would be easier to separate the two when talking about Pano2vr (as QTVR is no longer even an option) to keep from confusing conversations such as this one :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's all about the specifics right? So when someone that is looking for information in the forum regarding the actual VR function, they will unfortunately have to read through a ton of posts that have nothing to do with actual VR because the posting title wasn't specific to the subject ;-)

I've started digging into the javascript code to see if there is anyway to hook the nodes through api. I like your idea of being able to click on a word in the html page and have the node orient itself to that location..... it would be really cool to be able to do this from outside an iframe or something on your webpage.

I'll keep you posted on my findings :-)

Hopki might pop in and shine a light into this dark corner :-) He's pretty good at that!
SRibas

[quote

I've started digging into the javascript code to see if there is anyway to hook the nodes through api. I like your idea of being able to click on a word in the html page and have the node orient itself to that location..... it would be really cool to be able to do this from outside an iframe or something on your webpage.

I'll keep you posted on my findings :-)

Hopki might pop in and shine a light into this dark corner :-) He's pretty good at that!
[/quote]

Thanks, It would be great if you could achieve that kind of interaction with the nodes. It would give a lot more usability to our Virtual Tours.
I have to use each VRTour inside an iFrame because I use Rapidweaver to create my site, and I divide each node per page (only one Virtual Tour, using #node access) and at the first page of a monument, I let people navigate traditionally using text and photo linked to each page. But than each node has so much visual information.

Thank you and regards
BParker

SRibas:
While I suspect the JavaScript API will give you the best overall control of your panoramas, there is another approach for having text-based hot links reposition a panorama’s point of view. A company called Esri has a set of tools that can be used to produce what they call “Story Maps”, which are web-based presentations that can mix text, pictures, maps, videos, and 360-degree panoramas. Here’s an example of one that has hot-links in the form of bulleted “Highlights” sections that change the associated panorama’s perspective to specific points of interest. Scroll down in the left-hand text column to get to the Highlights links.

http://lookabout.maps.arcgis.com/apps/M ... b0dec2b85f

Not sure if this style presentation would meet your needs. Because Esri cloud-based tools are used to produce these story maps, switching to an approach like this would have a big impact on your development process. Then there is the cost to consider also. I get access to the tools using a personal, non-commercial, home-use license that runs about $100 US per year. My understanding is that non-profit organizations can usually get a similar rate. Commercial customers pay significantly more and I’m not sure what the rates are internationally.

Anyway, just another approach to be aware of.

Ben
SRibas

Thanks Bparker!

It´s another option, and it´s interesting, I will take a look to the cost, perhaps to much for me.

Regards
Santiago Ribas
TheRealMojoJojo

I have been searching all over the documentation/help files but can't find any apis in Pano2vr docs aside from those created for flash. I'm not sure that they even exist and I have no idea how to begin writing one so this one is above my head :-)
Esri has a set of tools that can be used to produce what they call “Story Maps”
It's too bad that the image just jumps into place as opposed to panning or tilting into place, However that's a helluva lot closer than I got :-)
BParker

That would be a nice enhancement for a future version of Pano2VR, namely providing a transition/pan effect when using direct node access to reposition the view within the current panorama. Maybe allow specifying both "from" and "to" values for the pan, tilt, and fov numbers, along with a transition time. Version 7 anyone?
TheRealMojoJojo

BParker wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:43 pmVersion 7 anyone?
It's got my vote :-)