SOLVED - Live Tour Image/Patch Replacement?

Q&A about the latest versions
TheRealMojoJojo

Hi,

I have a customer that was sponsored by Nike. Nike lost their most recent bid so now they are going to be sponsored by Adidas. The exchange doesn't take place for another couple of months so Nike is still their sponsor. I have already created the tour. I created a patch over a Nike banner thinking that I would be able to swap out the patch later on without having to go through the entire build and re-upload process ( I understand that I can set ftp to only overwrite newer files )......soooooooo, I created a patch as a placeholder over the Nike banner and my thought was that I could:

1. Name the patch banner-active.psd (or whatever extension you selected in Pano2vr)
2. When the time comes, download the patch banner-active.psd from the tour and open it if Photoshop
3. Replace the Nike banner with the Adidas banner
4. Save the patch with the same name and extension and re-upload it to server overwriting the original patch file..... voila!

In a perfect "all about me world", this would have worked, but it doesn't :-)

The file name is the same, the patch is the same size dimensionally so I can only surmise that the file is the wrong kb size or that it's because of some meta data that is not matching up with the original file info in xml or wherever the data is stored.

Is this possible? I know that I can create a hotspot and portal an external image file from the skin to it......but have you ever tried to line up an external image in the skin editor to perfectly fit a dimension that is not squared and is skewed up, down, left, right? The attempts to rotate perspective, X, Y and Z axis take FOREVER and sometimes spending more than three hours on something as simple of a concept as this just doesn't feel like a win win :-)

Anyone have a solution or suggestions? Thanks!
Last edited by TheRealMojoJojo on Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheRealMojoJojo

just a lil bump :-)
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
I have read through your post but still, don't understand how you added the patch.

If you added the patch using the patch tool, on export this becomes part of the panoramas.
When you extract a patch, a patches folder is created in the project folder but not in the output.
This is just for Pano2VR. When you create the output the patch image is hard written into the tiles.

A good way to do this is by using the convert patch to image feature.
The image has to be a web-friendly format so use PNG or JPEG.
Then the patch image will be in the media folder.
As its, an external image pinned in the panoramas, changing this image will change the image being used as a patch.

Make sure you use the Edit Master Node feature to add the patch, then convert to image.
When you convert a patch to an image in the edit master node, the pinned image is not seen in any of the nodes in Pano2VR's viewer, however, it is there in the output.

You can then just upload a new image to the images folder.

Open the attached project and create the output. It will use the block image for the pinned image being used for the patch.
Open the output folder and rename the patch image, copy in the patch_red image and rename to patch.
Open the output, you will probably need to clear the cache before you see the red patch.

Regards,
Hopki
Attachments
patch.zip
(35.87 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
TheRealMojoJojo

Your instructions worked perfectly! I was having my doubts about the whole "patches get flattened into panorama image" because I distinctly remember a while back where sometimes the patch would completely disappear after building output. Like it would be there.....then pan around.....and BLIP....it would vanish. I take it that that was done away with at some point and is now just flattened onto the image? Then again, I could be thinking of Panotour too.

Anyhow, that worked perfectly! Thanks for the solution!