1st order ambisonics

Q&A about the latest versions
JDawson

Looking for some help and advice please. Does anyone have experience with Ambisonic audio in virtual tours? My main interest is presenting 360 ambisonic audio field recordings within my pano2vr tours, but from what I have researched so far, it appears that Ambisonic B format audio mixes cannot be used in Pano2vr, which is very disappointing. It is no problem to use ambisonics audio in 360 video, and use the video to showcase the ambisonics mix, with head related transfer functions. But, as per Pano2vr documentation, only MP3 can be placed within a tour. I also see that you can pin separate audio files as directional sounds, which would fade in and out according to movement within the sphere, and orientate left/right as the view changed. But this suggests pinning separate mono files, and would not give the 360 sound sphere that fully immerses the user, the up/down information is missing. I would like use ambisonics B format mixes, with head related transfer functions, within the 360 images shot on a DSLR, which would give a realistic and fully immersive interpretation of the recordings I am making. Can anyone advise me on how to achieve this, or is it a limitation of the software that it is not possible to achieve? Thanks for any help in advance.
360Texas

I think this is more than audio mono left and right, stereo, 5.1.

It appears that it takes more sophisticated recording equipment and sophisticated playback equipment.

For those not familiar with this recording and playback type you might view

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambisonics
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
JDawson

360Texas, yes, that’s why I am asking the question, I want to do more than just left and right stereo. I am already recording ambisonic, with Sennheiser Ambeo VR mic, into sound devices mixpre6, which records A format and converts to B format. I then bring this into Cubase 10 and can then add further ambisonic tracks to the mix, which would be 2nd order ambisonics, and mix down as ambisonic b format. I only want to use the 4 channel 1st order though. I am specifically recording soundscapes of the environment, nature etc. My current project involves tours of local interest, where I am trying to achieve full audio immersion within my pano photo’s, with head related transfer functions, in other words, you move your head in any direction in the pano, and the sound changes to suit. I am incorporating my recordings into 360 video no problem, in Premier, but can’t see how to add same to the pano nodes. This would be invaluable for the future of virtual tours and audio, it’s the real 360 deal.
Goshi

Hi JDawson,

I´m having the same problem. I was looking for a 360°-Foto-Panorama Software, which is able to playback ambisonics. To my actual knowledge it is not supported in pano2vr, but would be a really important feature to have it in the future. In my opinion the sound does have a lot more impact on the immersion or impression you will get from a picture with real ambisonic sound.

Right now, we do a fake spatial audio. We are recording ambisonic, looking into the panora where was north and panning our sound sphere also to north (you also can orientate your microphone to that point on set). After that I mix it down to stereo and pin it a little bit higher than eye level into the panorama on the north direction. Then I will use the pinnend soundsource as surround or circular effect with a high degree level 90°-270, depends how loud the atmosphere is. After this I pin keysound elements also to the panorama and use it the same way. I know it´s not a real option, but that´s my fake way to implement a little bit of interaction on the sound side.

Maybee it helps,
greetz Goshi