Is Pano2VR right for me?

Q&A about the latest versions
badaboom55

I need to produce several VRs for a project. I would like to be able to load and present these VRs from my own Flash "shell" presentation. Example, I have a full blown interactive presentation with Video, Audio, Animation, etc. And, in one section of the presentation, there's a blueprint of a crime scene showing the locations of various witnesses. Now, when the user clicks on one of the witnesses, I want to load the external VR swf into a placeholder movie clip and have it work properly. Now, I know how to load external swfs, so I don't need help with that.

What I guess I need is a program that will take my panoramic image(s) and spit out a VR in SWF format that I can then load into my shell presentation. One of the problems I've noticed with the "Flash VR Players" out there (Immervision), is that they are constructed to play the swf embedded in an HTML page... which won't work for this project.

1) How does Pano2VR output the flash VRs? Does it output a single .SWF file that I can launch from "anywhere" and have it fully-functional?

2) I see that you can create custom "skins" for the panorama. However, can you "hide" certain controls that you don't want... for example, if I don't want the info button, but I do want all the others?
Or, conversely, can I control the panorama with buttons outside of the panorama.swf? Example, I want a zoom button that lives in my shell presentation to be able to "talk to" the panorama.swf and make it zoom. (This way I could just output a SWF from Pano2VR with no skin, and then just have buttons in my shell presentation that have custom ActionScript to control the panorama)
thomas
Chief Gnome

badaboom55 wrote: 1) How does Pano2VR output the flash VRs? Does it output a single .SWF file that I can launch from "anywhere" and have it fully-functional?
It is a single SWF and should work just fine in the presentation. Best way is I guess to just test it. Pano2VR creates watermarked images in trial mode.
2) I see that you can create custom "skins" for the panorama. However, can you "hide" certain controls that you don't want... for example, if I don't want the info button, but I do want all the others?
Just open the skin in the skin editor, delete the buttons you don't like an save the skin with a different name.
Or, conversely, can I control the panorama with buttons outside of the panorama.swf? Example, I want a zoom button that lives in my shell presentation to be able to "talk to" the panorama.swf and make it zoom. (This way I could just output a SWF from Pano2VR with no skin, and then just have buttons in my shell presentation that have custom ActionScript to control the panorama)
You can control the pano from outside but this is not documented yet. I will document it when I am back from Siggraph (and have overcome the jet lag) within in the next week.
MfG, Thomas