Assistance needed, bribe you with lunch

Q&A about the latest versions
BHanson

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone here lives in the Chicago area. I created a tour for my local nursery (https://www.countrysideflowershop.com/) and if you look at the ceilings, you'll see that I just can't get the panos to line up perfectly. Am I being petty or should they align better? In any event, I've fiddled with my camera and nodal ninja endlessly and just can't see to get it any better.

If anyone lives in Chicago, I'd love to bribe you with lunch, talk shop and have you take a look at my setup. Please let me know

Sincerely,

Bob / 847-890-3793
bhimagery.com
360Texas

Hi Bob, yes, I can see you panorama head/camera is not quite calibrated to remove the parallax. That is where all your image edges come together at the nadir (bottom) and zenith (top). The no parallax point calibration is usually done on the panorama head holding the camera.

It appears that you might be taking 4 spherical images around the horizon? What camera/ lens and version Nodal Ninja panorama head are you using ?
NPP
NPP
countryside.png (328.6 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
BHanson

Thank you for your reply. I actually take 12 images, 6 pointed up 30 degrees and 6 pointed down 30 degrees. I do that because when I try to take them on the horizon and then point my camera straight up for 1 shot to capture the zenith, I can never get that to work. I use Hugin sw to stitch.

I use a nodal ninja 3, rokinon 12 mm lens
360Texas

You of course have reviewed this URL link about panorama head and finding the no parallax point setup . It works with a fisheye as well as other lens types.

Be sure to take pictures of your rig showing the final position of your NN3 vertical and horizontal rail tick marks for future use in reassembling the head and camera.

Care should be taken to get the calibration alignment down to 1/2 millimeter. Taking the original images correctly goes along way towards proper stitching.

Take a test panorama to see the stitching results. Testing should reveal IF you really need the zenith shot.

https://www.red-door.co.uk/pages/produc ... point.html

Note below: We use a Canon 5D full frame sensor with a Sigma 8mm full circle fisheye lens Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1. We use PTgui 10 for stitching and Photoshop CS 6 for chromatic aberration removal and white balance correction.

About 2 years ago we added a Ricoh 360° Theta V. The Theta V is lesser image quality but more easily transported.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
missingman

My comment would be that as a user of PTGui I have never been able to make Zeniths align perfectly. I take 12 images at 30 degrees down, and 12 at 30 degrees up, with an 18mm lens, full frame on a Nikon D700. I take great care to check that what is above and below me can easily be patched in Photoshop.

The fact is that we all have to paint out tripods, and a bit of pre-planning makes such tasks very quick.
360Texas

I will be the first to say:

I dislike TILE : ceiling, floor and wall. Too many post processing issues.
I get the ceiling and wall tile fixed by making sure my pan head /camera/ lens is properly calibrated. Yes Ptgui and control points fixes small tile issue. I am satisfied with Pano2vr cubing the panorama and then editing the nadir cube face by using an overlay showing our company logo and the clients logo and contact information. Seems reasonable. Clients like the free advertising.
I take 12 images at 30 degrees down, and 12 at 30 degrees up, with an 18mm lens, full frame on a Nikon D700.
Oh I thought you were using a
Both lenses 12 or 18mm will have a different NPP and need to be re-calibrated between photoshoots to accomadate.

We also use our 5d in portrait orientation to get max vertical field of view. Our 5d Sigma 8mm mounted on the pan head bracket is also tilted up 7° to get more ceiling. As mentioned we use an advertising tripod cap image to cover the tripod head. Its a trade off for not having to mess with floor tile.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
missingman

360Texas wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:43 pm I will be the first to say:

I dislike TILE : ceiling, floor and wall. Too many post processing issues.
I get the ceiling and wall tile fixed by making sure my pan head /camera/ lens is properly calibrated. Yes Ptgui and control points fixes small tile issue. I am satisfied with Pano2vr cubing the panorama and then editing the nadir cube face by using an overlay showing our company logo and the clients logo and contact information. Seems reasonable. Clients like the free advertising.
I take 12 images at 30 degrees down, and 12 at 30 degrees up, with an 18mm lens, full frame on a Nikon D700.
Oh I thought you were using a
Both lenses 12 or 18mm will have a different NPP and need to be re-calibrated between photoshoots to accomadate.

We also use our 5d in portrait orientation to get max vertical field of view. Our 5d Sigma 8mm mounted on the pan head bracket is also tilted up 7° to get more ceiling. As mentioned we use an advertising tripod cap image to cover the tripod head. Its a trade off for not having to mess with floor tile.
You're quoting two different people. I'm not the OP, I just added a comment to mention my kit and why I never worry about covering the nadir or zenith.
360Texas

Opps! Yes, you are correct, my oversight.

Then certainly there would be 2 different and separate NPP's - no doubt.

And I still avoid any grid work featires like tiles
Dave
Visit 360texas.com