Preferred panoramic equipment

Q&A about the latest versions
MSchneiter

Hi guys,

Just wanted to launch a conversation on the equipment people use for shooting their panoramas (photos).

While there are all sorts of consumer 360 cameras these days, it seems to me that their resolution is just not up to scratch if you are looking to do some professional tours. I have myself one of these small Samsung Gear (2017) camera, and while it is doing the job to take 360 photos (and video), the result is far to be convincing, due to the overall small resolution... But since I don't know all of them I might be wrong..

So I'd like to hear about you guys on what you think is some good equipment for doing professional tours. It would be good to hear the goods and the bads when/if you list your equipment, as well as the final resolution and weight of files. I'd like to hear about solutions that can take top resolution panos of actions.

I'll start
- Samsung Gear 2017: 1 photo per pano - 5472x2736 (14Mpix), 2.85Mb - Bad: not good enough for pro tours in my view (lack of details) - Good: can take pano during action (given only one shot)
- GH5 with 6.5mm fisheye+pano head: 4 photos per pano - 12394x6197 (76Mpix), ~25-30Mb - Bad: due to 4 photos shoot, can't really do a pano during action - Good: Resolution much better (4 photos x 20Mpix camera sensor)
- DJI P3 (aerial): 19-25photos per pano - 14048x7024 (98Mpix), 38Mb - Bad: no action shoot, takes time (shoot, stitch), prone to stich issues - Good: excellent resolution
Mark360

I use a Nikon D750 FX with a sigma 8mm EXDG fisheye.
GEO Tag for obvious reasons.
Several pano tripod heads 2 use most are Atome 360 and Nodal Ninja. Both good heads give great results.

Thinking of trying a 28mm lens to see about getting deeper depth to images on zoom. (If someone has tried it and its not good let me know please)
If it looks impossible you just have not found the right angle to view it from.
BParker

I’m afraid my approach to shooting panos is not very well suited to “action” situations but I do like the results I get in calmer environments.

I use an Olympus Pen-F camera, a 12mm f2 M.Zuiko lens (24 mm equivalent), a Nodal Ninja 3 with a Mk II rotator, and a Gitzo GT0531 tripod. The whole rig, including the camera case, comes in at around 6 pounds. The Olympus 12mm lens’ ability to focus manually using the distance scale on the lens barrel is a real plus, as is the associated depth-of-field scale.

To create a panorama I typically take 27 shots (3 rows of 9 portrait orientation pictures at vertical angles of 60, 0, and -60). The Pen-F has a 20 megapixel Micro Four Thirds sensor which through this sequence of pictures can produce a 22,720 x 11,360 pixel final equirectangular image. In tif format, that’s about 700+ megs. In jpeg format, about 70 megs.

If you are interested, you can see panoramas produced using these techniques on my website, https://lookabout.net .

Ben
Mark360

Neat pictures and very clear.

Credit too you.
If it looks impossible you just have not found the right angle to view it from.
keith@fachwen.org

I’m still mostly using an Olympus EM1 Mk 2 with the Oly fisheye. Gives me a resolution of the final image of around:

14632 x 7316 = 107mp

I keep on thinking I could try, say the 17mm or narrower lens to up the resolution, but haven’t tried this yet. This gives me the quality I’m after, but takes some time, 6 shots horizontal and then one or two up and down. 7 shots at 2ev gaps for HDR too! As well as the long processing times at home of course. I have a 360 Precision Adjustate head, which is great, most probably the best, but no longer available? I like the Gitzo Tripod with built in levelling.

I’ve been asked recently to shoot a large number of panos for a shop tour, so I tried the Xiaomi Mi Sphere. The resolution here is:

6912 x 3456 = 24mp

A lot fewer pixels, but fantastically quick and easy. I bought this to try out 360 video when I go away on outdoor trips where its not possible to carry my normal kit. The shop owner had a look at both qualities and was happy with the output from the Xiaomi. To use this easily I bought some Manfrotto 360 tripod kit, basically a long pole with a tiny tripod at the bottom. Very good really, with a levelling mechanism in the base. This makes the tripod appear small in the final shot, easy to clone out. I might even risk using this for my normal setup. It just about works, but toppling has to be carefully managed :D

Here is a photo of it all in action.
512621AC-752A-4B03-BD9E-DB35CD5DF593.jpeg
512621AC-752A-4B03-BD9E-DB35CD5DF593.jpeg (4.91 MiB) Viewed 2731 times
The tripod cost more than the camera!!

I am watching what the Iris360 pro people are promising, but one good looking camera has now been cancelled. The spec was very good I think:

13800 x 6900 = 95mp, 27ev range

https://www.nctechimaging.com/iris360-pro/

I have documented my workflow here:

http://www.fachwen.org/about_me/workflow/

But it probably needs an update by now!