How to get a Stereo Pano from VR Stripe? (5.1beta)

Q&A about the latest versions
Micha

Hi,

today I tried to get a side-by-side stereo pano from a rendered 12 cube face image (Vray rendering) but I don't understand the workflow. Could someone tell the needed steps please?

Like this example:
http://3dv.nl/pano/stereo/vianen/

Ciao,
Micha
www.simulacrum.de ... CAD and 3D visualization service for designers and architects
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Have you see this page.
If you select stereo pairs this means you add left and right panos in the tour browser, Pro only.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Micha

Hi Hopki,

would the Pro version allow to use an Oculus Rift for viewing? Is flash support planed? Is there a tutorial how to get a 12 cube face image running in VR?

My idea is: my render software allow to render stereo panos from virtual scenes and my clients like to see interiors with stereo devices like Oculus or shutter glasses. I'm looking for a solution now.

I think stereo VR are the big deal of the time. But it's quite difficult to find the right infos and tools. I have seen some stereo panos from krpano yet.

Best-
Micha
www.simulacrum.de ... CAD and 3D visualization service for designers and architects
3DV

Hi Micha,

The example above is from me, I rendered the image with VRay but chose 'Spherical' as camera type, with an Override FOV of 360. Together with the VRayStereoscopic Helper you then get an image with two equirectangular images next to each other.

I've split these with Photoshop and saved them separately as left and right images so I could import those as two panoramas in Pano2VR. If you then choose the cardboard output and put a checkmark at 'Nodes are stereo pairs' the tour will assume the first panorama to be for left and the second panorama for the right eye and so on.

Edit: The 'Strip VR' input type in Pano2VR matches the 12x1 strip output from VRay, but Pano2VR only takes the first 6 faces (left eye). So you have to split the 12x1 into two separate 6x1 strips to import left and right eye panoramas.
When the strip is imported in Pano2VR make sure to put Properties for the Input Image Type to: Strip VR.
Ruud van Reenen
3DV - Real estate artist impressions and animations
VR Tourviewer - Experience Pano2VR tours on Oculus Go, Quest, Rift, Pico and Cardboard VR headsets
Micha

@3DV: thank you very much for the detailed description.

It looks like the stereo functionality isn't well integrated yet, only first steps are gone and the user need to use tricks to get it working. Paying 300 € at this state looks like no good deal.

It could be great if 12x1 images would be direct supported. Stereo panos could be direct and easy used like standard panos. I see no need for workflow changes at the users side. At the output it could be great to choose between sid-by-side and anaglyphic display. VR glasses like Oculus should be on the support list.

My question to the support team - will a better stereoscopic support be implemented in v5? Will the pro version be needed or will the standard version get stereo support?

Best-
Micha
thomas
Chief Gnome

Micha wrote: My question to the support team - will a better stereoscopic support be implemented in v5? Will the pro version be needed or will the standard version get stereo support?
This is high up on the todo list, but this will happen after Pano2VR 5.1.
MfG, Thomas
Micha

Sounds great. :)

What will be approx. the time frame it can be seen at the beta versions? I ask because my render software starts to support stereo panos and my client's are very interested to get stereo panos from me.
Micha

Today I tried to create a stereo pano but my opened VR stripes are not shown (2 times 2000x333 pixel). Only in "auto" mode I can see something. Do I need to convert the 2 stripes before? I tried it but it doesn't work, the created files can't be read.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Make sure you select Strip VR as image type.
This should work ok, if not can you send me a reduced quality version for testing.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/