Why are my Panos looking so low in quality ?

Q&A about the latest versions
JezUK

I am a 3D Visualiser, and I create computer generated photo-realistic images of office interiors.

We create Panorama VRs and I render those out at 3500px x 1750pxs.

At full screen, they look poor.

when I bring in the same Spherical image into an iPad App, that same image looks very crisp.

I set all the quality settings in Pano2VR to their highest, but this doesn't seem to fix things.

The ONLY thing which fixes it, is to not sure the Pano at full screen (but at a much lower resolution of say 1000 x 600 pxs.

But I'm confused. How is a $2 app able to show that same image as a Panorama yet beautifully crisp, but Pano2VR doesn't ?

Please can someone advise as quickly as possible as I need these visuals to look nice for an upcoming client presentation ???
Boothy

Hi JexUK

Can you upload a sample to your server for all in the forum to consider or upload a project file? FYI I normally render in VRay\NXT or equivalent at a minimum of 8000x4000, many photgraphic tours are much higher. are you outputting as a multi resolution tour ? It may be you have a very slow bandwidth and the tour is taking various times to load depending at highest resolution on browser\device ? Try using multi resolution and not largest size attainable. Using multi resolution the tour will only load to the required zoom initially. On a slow load you may only be seeing the preview?. There are many things that can effect the process, guessing blind without a sample to analyse is really difficult. Is it hmtl ? flash ? what browser ?

Boothy
JezUK

Hi Boothy,

Yes I use VRay too, and yes, my renders are much lower than 8000x4000, 3500x1750. Yet, when I look in Pano2VR, before exporting, the Panos look good. And, as I already said, if I use an App on iTunes, called 360Viewer, my spherical images (remember, 3500x1750) look fantastic.

Yes, it is HTML and no, it's not the bandwidth. It's as though my image has been processed before tiled and its quality has been compromised as a result. Doesn't matter which browser, they all look poor. (not seeing the preview)
Boothy

Hi

Its still really difficult to analyse without any imagery\detail, can you point to a URL ? or upload project to look at settings ?

Boothy
JezUK

I can't post images, sorry.
Hopki
Gnome

HI JezUK,
The problem would be the input image resolution.
3500 x 1730 is VERY low resolution indeed.

The Layer Marney Tower Tour used 10000 x 5000.
The Ricoh Theta with is classes as a bit of a toy outputs images at 5376 x 2688.

Don't forget your only seeing 1/4 (using standard settings) of the image in the player as its a 360, so in your case your viewing 875px.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
JezUK

Thanks Hopki for the excellent explanation. I use Pano2VR for our office Interior 3d renders, so having to bump up those renders to something like 10,000 will increase render times, render costs etc - but the results will look even more beautiful.

As a side question, I would like to know, how to be able to output my Pano files so that I can play them directly from my computer hard disk rather than having to upload them ?

I've tried simply double clicking the index.html file that gets created by Pano2VR but that doesn't work.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Hopki
Gnome

HI JezUK,
Local browser security will cause you a problem. The only browser I know that does open the HTML page directly is Firefox.
However we have a TIP document regarding desktop applications for both PC and Mac.

Its the NW-JS Project which works well but we can not guarantee all functions. That said the last update saw popup images work so I think its more or less cover ion all now.
The standard things like hotspots and transitions all work.

The framework is quite large, some 70 odd MB but then it if its for the desktop then it can be packaged on a DVD or memory stick.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
JezUK

Thanks Hopki,

I'll take a look at that when I'm next back in the office.

In the meantime, could you tell me please, would it allow the Gyroscope function ? That and Hotspots are the only functions that we'd really ever need :)

Many thanks.

Jez
Hopki
Gnome

HI Jez,
Not that I know of because its for desktops.
The Hardware needs the compass or magnetometer and then to be able to pass the information to the browser.
I don't know many desktops or lap tops that do that, so even if it did support it, would the hardware.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com