Google Maps buttons on Touch Devices?

Q&A about the latest versions
M. Kräckmann

Hi there,

when using a Google Map (build with P2VR 5 from the Toolbox) and viewing it on a touch device, the user can not "click" on the Buttons [Map], [Satelite], [+] and [-]. It seems the device accepts the touch, but nothing happens. He/She can zoom the map with a two finger gesture, however the mentioned buttons are not working.

Is this just in my panos / did I miss something?

Cheers,
Matthias
360Texas

You wrote
and viewing it on a touch device,

Which device(s) are you using ? Operating system ? Android 6.0?, microsoft etc. Your test URL so we can also try with our hand held device.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
M. Kräckmann

It does not work on my Android mobiles (S7 and S5). Just checked an HP-Tab with win8.1 and here it works ok.

Is it working for your Device(s), or are you not using google maps in your tours?
360Texas

You are suggesting that Pano2vr OR Google maps have an issue, we use our cell phone to test your URL webpage with showing your map. Please provide your Google map page URL please.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
M. Kräckmann

The Tour is not online yet. I am testing it on my local Server...

Anyways, if somebody would test my tour and comes back with a positive or negative response, what would this help me? Still it does not work for me on my (out-of-the-box) Samsung S7 and an older S5.

This is why my question was "Is this just in my panos / did I miss something?" => or if this a known issue i.e. somebody else has experienced this as well.

Thanks!
360Texas

Thanks for that information about testing Google Maps locally on your computer.

I think its necessary for the project to be uploaded to your server in order for the Google maps to work properly. The Google Maps are served from Googles Server not your server.

Try again and please let us after you upload your work to your server..
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
M. Kräckmann

360Texas wrote:Thanks for that information about testing Google Maps locally on your computer.

I think its necessary for the project to be uploaded to your server in order for the Google maps to work properly. The Google Maps are served from Googles Server not your server.

Try again and please let us after you upload your work to your server..
I wrote local Server, not local Computer. It is not necessarry to be uploaded to any other Server. As Said, it is working perfectly on PC (Chrome, IE, ...) and on a Windows tablet...

Again: are the Google maps Buttons working flawlessly on your touch-devices? In another thread you wrote you are using S7 ....
360Texas

We do have 2 s7's but I do not know or have IP access to your private local Server.
Your local private server firewall would have to permissions set up for outbound Pano2vr Google Maps software to access the internet and Googles server to acquire and download the maps.

The way you discussed this issue... I assumed your site was on an external hosting server... not on an internal office LAN server.
Any extra computer box can have an Office local area network (LAN) server software installed on it. But it probably its LAN security is not set up to permit external internet access.

This probably also explains why you are not providing us an external hosting server and your website URL. Your internal LAN has an IP number like 192.168.1.x which I can not access.

Ok if this is the case.. I can not test your internal server nor help you further.

BUT, Pano2vr does have an built in server module specially for testing. You would need to make sure it is turned on in the
|FILE | Settings | WEB SERVER | [x] Use integrated web server and [x] only Local host and Port AUTO.

Maybe other forum members might be able to help.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
M. Kräckmann

360Texas wrote:We do have 2 s7's but I do not know or have IP access to your private local Server.
Dave,
thanks for your efforts in responding and willingness to test, but this is not making any progress.

As I wrote earlier, Google Maps works PERFECTLY fine in my environment. Only my Samsung S7 & S5 both do not recognize the buttons in the Map window... It's as simple as that.

If you have never tested Google Maps with your S7 in your tours (or not using Google Maps at all), I am afraid you simply can not contribute to the solution.

Therefore again my question to the forum:

Did anybody ever experienced this behaviour, i.e. the buttons in the Google Maps windows are not working on a Touch device (in particular Samsung S7 and S5)?

Or, can somebody please confirm that the buttons in the Google Maps windows are working on their Samsung mobile.

Cheers,
Matthias
360Texas

Should have done this earlier. Since I can not see your work on your internal server, I found one that both of us can view:

http://ggnome.com/samples/pano2vr_5/tower/

Using my s7 connected to our outbound router:
I viewed this page with Firefox and could not get the toolbar Map icon to open the map icon... hence no google maps

I viewed this page with Google Chrome and tapped the Google map icon in the tour toolbar below... AND it did open in Satellite mode. I tapped the black/white tear drop marker and it did zoom in and displayed a tear drop with a check mark. However, the buttons for [Map | Satellite ] when tapped just gray out and do not function. Same results for the [+ |- ] button set. However, the other panorama hotspots do work normally.

So your issue might be a browser issue. FireFox does not display google maps.. but Chrome does partially work.

Hope this helps
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
M. Kräckmann

Dave,

thanks for confirming the issue I described in my first post. I do however disagree with you conclusion that this is a Browser issue.

Why?

I did another round of testing on my Pano with the S7:
- Firefox: OK
- Chrome: NOK (+/-, Map/Satellite are not working)
- Dolphin: ?? - Panorama not working at all! (stuck at very first "picture"; not able to move/pan; all skin buttons are dead)
- Opera Mini: NOK (+/-, Map/Satellite are not working)

Now take a look at this website which also embeds a Google Map via API Calls (same method as P2VR does):

http://a-bc.co.uk/latitude-longitude-finder/

Open the URL in your Chrome Browser on your S7 and you will see that besides the fact that the map is displayed very large and the buttons are hard to hit, they do work!

I tested the website on my S7 and it runs smooth in all the browsers:
- Firefox: OK
- Chrome: OK
- Dolphin: OK
- Opera Mini: OK

So my conclusion is that the issue is related to P2VR.

Looking at the HTML code, the only difference I could spot - other than the order of the inline styles which shouldn't matter - is the div wrapper placed around the map...

Note: the div "gm-style" is generate by the Google Maps API call and the divs "mapdiv" and "ggskin ggskin_map" are generated by the respective website / P2VR.

http://a-bc.co.uk/latitude-longitude-finder/

Code: Select all

<div id="mapdiv" style="width: 800px; height: 750px; overflow: hidden; font-family: arial,sans-serif; position: relative; background-color: rgb(229, 227, 223);">
	<div class="gm-style" style="left: 0px; top: 0px; width: 100%; height: 100%; overflow: hidden; position: absolute; z-index: 0;">
P2VR 5

Code: Select all

<div class="ggskin ggskin_map " style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0); height: 100%; left: 0px; position: absolute; top: 0px; visibility: inherit; width: 100%; transform-origin: 50% 50% 0px; overflow: hidden; transform: translateZ(0px); background: rgb(255, 255, 255);">
	<div class="gm-style" style="position: absolute; left: 0px; top: 0px; overflow: hidden; width: 100%; height: 100%; z-index: 0;">
Maybe it's the (IMHO) superfluous "transform: translateZ(0px)" which causes the map to behave strange in some browsers, but not in all...

Anyways, what's next? Where do we go from here?

Cheers,
Matthias
M. Kräckmann

Nobody?
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Matthias,
Ill write up a bug report for this, as its on the list it will defiantly be looked air by the developers.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
M. Kräckmann

Thanks Hopki!

Please let me know if you think it makes sense if I would dig further into the translateZ statement, i.e. to find out if this causes the issue in the Chrome browser... Just thinking loud: Maybe I could inject a small "hack" to the panoplayer.js to not generate that statement and see if it cures the problem.

Cheers,
Matthias