Cardboard/HMD: how to create multiple hotspot menu

Q&A about the latest versions
GIOLETS

I need to build a tour for Cardboard or Head Mounted Display user.

The tour is composed by 3 interior stereo 360° view.

My intention is to have, in each scene, placed on the groud, 3 images/icons seeing each of one the user can jump from one scene to the other.

Let me show what I mean with this simple example:
example.jpg
example.jpg (186.46 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
Can anyoune kindly suggest me how to proceed, since I've tried all the day, reading post, documentation, .. with no success.

Note:
I'm using 5.0.1 pro 64bit version
cardboard.ggt template
BParker

One way this could be done is to use a Pano2VR patch to insert the thumbnail images and then put a hotspot on the middle of each to trigger the transfer. If you don't like the circular hotspot target, you can uncheck "visible" in the skin to turn that off.

There's a very rough example with a single thumbnail image here:

http://lookabout.net/test2/

You should be able to view this in a cardboard viewer and transfer to the second panorama by staring at the thumbnail.

Ben
360Texas

The split views have a small almost impossible to see characters + fixed mid center called a gazing pointer.
Move the center gaze pointer + over the thumbnail and it will go to next panorama.

I did not find a return thumbnail to get back to initial node pano. But thats ok. I think I can see what your are doing.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
BParker

Yes, just a one way trip on this simple demo. No return hot spot.

Ben
BParker

GIOLETS:

There's another way multiple thumbnail images can be used as gazeable links to other panoramas. Rather than using a patch to add the thumbnails to the base image, the individual thumbnails can be added to the skin as image hotspots. They can then be placed where desired and provided with a coincident gazeable hot spot to provide the linkage to the associated panorama.

Here's another example, this time with three panoramas fully linked in this way:

http://lookabout.net/test3/

One advantage of this approach is you can associate text with each image hotspot and it doesn't suffer from scaling like text embedded in the base image might.

Ben
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Guys,
Yep use thumbnails as point hotspot images and have the open next pano action in the hotspot template.
However what would be cool and I have had a play and works well is have a menu pano.
So the first pano has a funky image, example black withe Matrix stile green characters running down.
You would then add all your point hotspots with thumbnails that would open other locations/nodes.
SO again to quote the film have a loading page...

Once in the digital world...
You can have a home hotspot to take you back to the loading page.
This can be hidden until you look down or up or in a particular direction.

All you have to do is set a logic block to the visible property of the point hotspot.
It would react to tilt or pan, so example when tilt = -50 it becomes visible.

Of course you can have it so you have a radar with an exit sign, so the viewer knows to turn to that direction to see the exit hotspot.
Imagination can run wild with this when using the the pan and tilt logic blocks. Use Alpha to fade in and out hotspots thumbnails. Also use png images and Stereographic thumbnails.
Just some thoughts.

Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
BParker

Hopki:

Thanks! Very interesting information.

I had thought that two point hotspots were needed for each thumbnail, one to display the thumbnail image and one to handle the transfer to the target panorama. I see now that both functions can be handled by a single point hotspot.

I hadn't tried using logic blocks before but it sounds like they offer some interesting capabilities, especially in the cardboard environment.

Ben
GIOLETS

Ok great ideas here, that I've tried to realise in my test project.
I've enclose here:
Test Tour Cardboard.rar
(3.81 MiB) Downloaded 299 times
Good start point.
I've used alpha transition, as suggested, whit a logic block (active alpha 1 when tilt is < -50)
Someone coud teach me how to align the thumbnails?
PTosolini

Regarding gaze-controlled navigation, is there a special configuration that enables some sort of visual feedback to the viewer that after a couple of seconds the hotspot will be triggered? A common practice in VR is a circle that rotates and fills up, or similar. Thanks!
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Nope, but I will add it as a feature request.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/