VR-Mode: Lense distortion

Q&A about the latest versions
Alain

Hi

When switching the VR-Mode and using a HMD (Cardboard) then I see slightly camera distortion (bendings) at the left and right side of the image.
I've seen VR's (done with Panotour I guess) which correct this corrections by bending the image to the oposite direction in VR-Mode to get straight lines when watching it with a HMD.

This it how it is now in Pano2VR 5.0.1:
is.jpg
is.jpg (409.4 KiB) Viewed 7862 times
And this is how, in my opinion, should be:
shouldbe2.jpg
shouldbe2.jpg (340.49 KiB) Viewed 7861 times
An here is a grid that shows the needed distortion more clearly.

Is there a way to get a correct imagedistortion for HMD's ?

Kind regards
Alain
360Texas

Normally you are correct... when attempting to directly remap 6 cube faces to the inside of a sphere.

Most 180° fisheye lens records a spherical curved image. The viewer maps the image texture to the inside of surface of the sphere. I am thinking the projection is to the inside of a soccer ball surface like your remapping the 6 cube faces. However, the viewer (read software) straightens this mapped cube texture to match the real life straight edged objects like walls, windows and tables surfaces.

Hope this helps
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
Alain

Here is explained how the panorama has to be distorted to be viewed correct through a HMD (for example Cardboard).

I just wanna know if Pano2VR can do that, yes or no ? ;-)

Kind regards
Alain
360Texas

Before I answer your question.... do you currently have a demo page on your site where we all can see your "shouldbe" split side by side panorama with the barrel distorted corners ?

Please provide your URL .
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Alain

See here, they have the correct distortion in VR-Mode.
360Texas

Hi Alain, Interesting link. I checked looking at it using our desktop and with our Samsung s7 edge Gear VR.

Desktop found site... clicked the Cardboard icon on lower right and saw a normal 2D side by side split panorama.

On s7 smartphone... using Samsung INTERNET browser version 4.0.1-53 browsed to same page vtour01/tour.html and bookmarked page for use with Gear VR.

Inserted s7 into Gear VR and opened Samsung INTERNET.
Browsed to http://www.onetwo etc and it opened as a standard 2D panorama
Found and tapped the cardboard icon lower right on tool bar

Then something awkward appeared:

Top row text was above the top of the browser window edge (portrait and landscape orientation) so could not read what it read.
then read in VERY LARGE text:

Device: Unkown
Screen size: 5.0
IPD 63.5mm
The gyro seemed to work... so didn't try to calibrate (would require removing the s7 from the Gear VR just for testing).

VR Head Set Selection:
Cardboard A: curved and distorted
Cardboard B: Appeared best as vertical at wall /ceiling corner were straight read not curved - one that I would choose to view a split screen panorama.
Color Cross: zoomed in wall top curved
No Distortion: zoomed out top curved
Gear VR: worst - vertical wall top very curved
VR One : zoom in somewhat very noticble vertical wall curvature
HOMIDO: zoomed out top curved

Had a bit of confusion as to how to select the head gear type option. Found that staring at the <- or -> and taping on the GEAR Tap pad... I noticed the selections would appear (like next flavor). To add to the confusion I did not find an [OK Done] button to tell this set up software was finished. As a result I could not continue.

Regarding the vertical wall correction and the head set selection .. I checked all of the above head gear types and wrote my results
Then I saw that the pano scene had vertical wall corners and as I selected head gear flavor would zoom in adding barrel distortion or out the vertical wall corner would curve.

There appeared to be a line of very large text below the browser screen bottom.. could not read it because no way to tilt down or scroll down or zoom out to make text smaller.

Hope this feedback helps
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Alain

Thanks Dave for testing.

All I wanna know is:
Can Pano2VR do this kind of "barrel" distortion.

All I need is a yes or a no :-)

Kind regards
Alain
Bostjan

At the moment version - "NO"
Alain

Thanks for the crystal clear answer ;-)
Is it krpano that can do this kind of distortion ?
360Texas

You may need to visit Krpano forum

http://krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?l=2
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Alain

krpano does support it.