Cardbord + computer pano

Q&A about the latest versions
Neal

I would like to general a pano that allow for dual output. Those with a VR device can view it using that, others can view is on a computer screen. Of course I could generate 2 complete panos, but that would take twice the storage space. Is it possible to have both panos share the same image tiles?
360Texas

We are using Pano2vr Pro 5.0 final

Our panoramas normally use HTML5 output and we are just getting started VR "Cardboard' work.

So we have not tried your dual approach yet.

--
So lets say YOU do try to do your approach... just thinking outloud here is probably what will happen.

I know that you can create a 1 normal HTML5 output, skin, multi res, multi hotspot linked panorama set. This generates all needed files in HTML \output\tiles.

I know that you can ADD another HTML5 output-1 element and it provides use of a different skin. You can select "Cardboard.ggsk".
In the OUTPUT dialog click the HTML [x] box and change Template = normal.ggt to cardboard.ggt
You will notice that the Output File: is now called output-1\index.html

below Output find Multiresolution it shows a Filename called: tiles/$n/... etc. This should generate a set of tiles in in the output-1\tiles folder not the first HTML \output\tiles
If you change your HTML5 "output-1" path to read "output" then your cardboard image set will overwrite the original HTML panorama Tile image set

You would have 1 set of Tiles certainly... but they would be from HTML output-1. But both should be the same TILE anyway. For me the question might be... what about the skin and .html? which skin is used first ? Would you have 2 skins 1 normal and 1 cardboard.

Suggest using copy of 1 panorama with no hotspots or menues. Try it. If it breaks.. then you will have an opportunity to ERASE ERASE, and try again. Please let know what you learn.

I know this probably didn't help.. but it good to brainstorm your question. And yes we do have a Samsung smartphone and Gear VR headset.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
Neal

I understand that Cardboard is still a work in progress. Brain storming at this point is good.

I'm going to try out your suggestion and see what happens.

In the long term it would be great if the was a feature to share HTML tiles. Each HTML output would share the same tiles, you would just access different html files for the different versions.
Neal

I found that a simple modification is required to make this work. Here is the workflow.
  • Create a normal panorama using html5.
  • Change the name of the skin.js file to skin1.js
  • Edit the index.html file and change skin.js to skin1.js. It is found only in one place.
  • Create a VR panorama with the following changes
    • Change the html file location to output
    • change the index.html file name to vr.html
  • create the VR file
  • edit the vr.html file. Change output-1 to output (found in 2 spots)
  • Delete the output-1 folder, it is not needed.
To view the pano for a computer call index.html, to view the same pano for VR call vr.html
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Guys,
The simplest way to do this is add two HTML5 outputs and make sure they both have the same output folder name, output.
In the first project which will be the normal pano, just add your skin etc.
Then in the second output select the cardboard skin, then go to the HTML tab and select the cardboard template and edit the file name of the HTML page, example index_vr.html.
Go to the Advanced tab and edit the output XML file path, example pano_vr.xml.
Hold down the Alt key and generate output.
The Alt ket forces Pano2VR to publish all outputs.

You will end up with one output folder with two HTML files, one for normal and one for cardboard.
Two skins and one image folder and one tiles folder.

Both output will share all the tiles so not having to double up on the tiles.
Please see attached project.
Regards,
Hopki
Attachments
normal_vr.zip
(328.75 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Boothy

Hi Hopki

Sounds a good idea but a little confused ?
Edit: Sorry I meant to say I am a little confused - not you !

The above method does not work for me. I have tried several test to your workflow and then have linked the 2 outputs with an action button as per my previous method, switches first time but then gets confused because there is only one skin in folder, 2 lots of xml but only one skin?
You will end up with one output folder with two HTML files, one for normal and one for cardboard.
Two skins and one image folder and one tiles folder.
Your sample also only appears to have one skin within output folder ?

Best Wishes

Boothy
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Boothy,
This is simple to to add to the project.
In the HTML file path of both the normal and vr outputs just amend it to:
output/std/index.html
and
output /vr/index.html

This will put a skin, images, player and skin.js file in each of the sub folders.
But both will share the same tiles.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
Boothy

Thanks Hopki

I will give this a try
Boothy

Hi Hopki

I may be being a little thick regarding this workflow but using the method described in your last post just brought up a black screen with no images. I have set individual xml in advance tab and left them in main output folder and each html into separate sub folders (std and vr). Both contain skin but neither html read tiles from main output folder. Even if this can be made to work I am not sure if using NEALS method is much simpler !

Boothy
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Please find attached working project.
So both outputs use the same output folder.
The first project which is the normal output has HTML file path: output/std/index.html
It also has XML file path, as found under the advanced tab: output/pano.xml

The second HTML5 output which is the VR one has the HTML file path: output/vr/index.html
And the XML file path: output/pano_vr.xml

This means both share the same tiles folder.
Regards,
Hopki
Attachments
normal_vr.zip
(446.63 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
Bostjan

... but... if we use the same titles on cardboard, even with the smaller tiles for a starter level, it won't work well. I tested a number of sizes for different mobile devices and the optimal size is the 2880 x 1440 for the equi. panorama, used quality at > 95% (lower is going to be to blurred with your cardboard) and than manual tiles with two levels down. Two skins are needed to be created and the separate VR directory for the cardboard tiles and xml data.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Bostjan,
The tiles is not the problem, this just means you have all resolutions available.
The problem is the resolution being used with the size of screen you have in your phone being used for your VR headset.
Multi resolution is still a better way to go as different VR devices will have different resolution displays.
So being able to serve up the best quality for your display is a good thing.

Multi resolution looks at logical screen size, example the iPad Air is 1024 x 768, but the screen resolution is 2046 x 1536.
There is a setting called Switch Bias found under the HTML5 outputs Advanced tab. There is also a setting for Switch Bias HiDPI.
This was using the default 0.4, in a new Alpha I'm testing the Switch Bias HiDPI is set to 1.
So devices with high resolution displays will use a higher quality tile setting.

In the cardboard output make sure that the Switch Bias HiDPI setting is set to 1, you can also experiment with higher values.
As said this setting is found under the HTML5 output setting tab, Advanced.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
Ben

Hi All,

I've just attempted to make my pano tour live to upload to my wordpress website.

I've stuck an issue.

Firstly, I've got the tour working for the standard "click" based tour.

However, when I try export the "cardboard" vr version (.ggpkg) it references back to a single view. Not the double view which is needed for vr goggles.
If i double click the direct index.html the two view loads fine, this issue is occurring during the package stage (which I need to upload to wordpress)
I've looked previously through numerous forums however I haven't have any luck.

I assume it's an easy fix, I just cannot figure it out to save my life.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Ben
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Ben,
The ggpkg.ggt does not support cardboard.
If you follow my instructions in this post then you will end up with a standard pano in Wordpress, but you will have a cardboard button in your skin that will open a new page with the cardboard view.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
Bostjan

Martin, I used the multiresolution... but only two levels 720 and 360 pix.
The reason doing that downsizing of my hi res stereo panoramas was that the use of full resolution and multiresolution option caused that that the panorama didn't follow my turn but it was like with steps and using that made people sick and dizzy. Now it is fine - the image good enough even for Samsung 2880 res display but can be used also eg. iphones low res displays or older android smartphones, including windows 10 based smartphones.
That was done and tested with V5, ... v5.1 beta now supports fluent viewing with full res.?