Batch auto-leveling of Theta panos

Q&A about the latest versions
tksharpless

Just want to say how happy I am to have discovered that P2VRb5 can automatically level a whole batch of panos shot with Ricoh Theta S for a time lapse movie.
New project, drag in all raw panos, create a "transformation" output for equirectangular of the desired size, set filename template to generate sequence numbers and/or copy source names, go. Output equis are auto-leveled using source exif data.
-- Tom
360Texas

Tom - Thanks for that information about the Theta images with Pano2vr Pro Beta 4.
We use the Theta S. Will give your workflow a try.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
360Foto2B

This works great and very fast! I don't need the Hugin app with the script.
"drag in all raw panos", but the equirectangular of the Ricoh Theta S are in JPG. I wish it was in RAW.
Or do you mean the first JPG files uploaded from the Ricoh Theta and them convert them to TIFF?
360Texas

I need to do some Theta .jpg testing today. When converting single Theta -S panorama compressed .jpg's to uncompressed .tif I have localized blur and image artifact issues in the .TIF . Beginning to think not a good .jpg ->.tif idea.
Converting RAW Canon CR2 to 16bit color depth TIF is a good idea and these non-compressed 16bit .tifs for stitching post processing. These are 100+ mb images

Will report back soon.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
360Foto2B

Interesting! This could be a new topic "Theta JPG -> TIFF".
I thought it was too good to be true, to convert jpg images to a better quality. So, perhaps the next Theta version the files will be in RAW?
I read a post on Panoramic Photographers on Facebook, level Theta images, http://www.worldofpaul.com/theta/
My question was: from jpeg to tiff?
Answer: JPEG is a lossy format. Every time you save to JPEG, data gets discarded, and the image loses quality as a result. So by outputting in a non-lossy format, no further data loss and image degradation takes place.
360Texas

You will note in the worldofpaul.com web page top it shows two before/after images. The left pan shows the horizon passing through the image center. The photographers hand /camera is in the bottom portion of the image. The right pan show a reconfigured image to an "S" shape with horizon still mid center but the photographers hand is in the image right side. The reconfigured image is similar to PTGui's [123] Numeric Transformation Pitch -90° button where Pitch parameters is -90°. This is good image manipulation where camera is held horizontal taking an "Over the building balcony rail"

Ok I tried one Theta -S original image copied directly (via USB cable) from camera to my local hard drive. Direct copy maintains the images EXIF meta data showing imag data like date, time, f/stop, image size, color depth 8 or 16 bit, color mode profile like RGB or sRGB, LAT / Long GPS data etc.

HUGIN:
Downloaded and installed free version Hugin for Windows. (Path 0S (C:) Program Files Hugin)
There is a folder for 32 bit based software called c:\Program Files (x86).
It installed to c:\Program Files\ Hugin which is our 64 bit based software folder.
installed folders: \bin, \doc, \share
and files called Uninstall.dat and Uninstall.exe

In our Control Panel | Programs and Features | Hugin 2015.0.0 is 83.9mb Here if needed Hugin can be uninstalled [EDIT] but not loosing the plugin functionality.

Level Theta Images:
Downloaded Level Theta Images plugin to an external harddrive E:\LevelThetaWindows\Level Theta Images.exe
Unzipped and selected the above .exe "SENT TO DESKTOP" to put the icon on the desktop.

TAKING THE Theta picture. Our camera was placed vertically on a free standing monopod and remotely triggered using our Samsung Galaxy s7. So the horizon IS on the horizon and not held horizontally -90°. See opening comments about holding the camera over building balcony.

Starting the conversion from .jpg to .tif :
On the desktop click or tap the Level Theta images.exe icon - did not have to start Hugin software.
This opens a small panel icon showing a large down arrow.
Opened my Windows files Explorer and browsed to E:\ folder with my original Theta .jpg panorama image.
Selected the image and drag and dropped it on to the already opened Level Theta images.exe panel icon
The panel icon recognized the panorama.jpg by displaying the file name and showed "IN PROGRESS".
After 20 +/- seconds the panel display "Finalized".
The plugin remembered the path to external harddrive source folder. So now I had 2 same named panorama images 1 original .jpg and converted .tif

So what are the differences between the .jpg and .tif ?
I used Photoshop's Bridge to learn what changed.
Both images remained the same dimensions 5376 x 2688 pixels

original .jpg is 72 pixels per inch. The .TIF is now 150 pixels per inch
original .jpg is 74.7 x 37.3 inches. The .Tif is now 35.8 x 17.9 inches

original file size is 3.82 mb. The .Tif is now 39.51mb

Color depth profile original .jpg is 8 bit RGB. The Tif remains 8 bit RGB (as compared to a smaller gamut mode sRGB)

Did the .Tif image horizon level change ? Since our Theta camera was Vertical the horizon may have been leveled somewhat. Had I place the Theta -90° to the ground it might have been corrected like shown in worldofpaul.com where the photographers hand reconfigured to the right side. e.g. Ptgui's [123] Numeric Transformation pitch = -90° function. The plugin maintains the original image meta data EXIF + It adds/ changes the APP to HUGIN and worldofPaul.com information.

One word about image quality .. IF the jpg had image has chromatic aberrations, distortions, lens smudge particles and compression artifacts then the .Tif will also have them.

Recommendations:
Yes,using Level Theta Images is worthwhile. It combines the features found in PTGUI and Photoshop. PTgui can reconfigure using the [123] Numeric Transformation Pitch = -90° feature. In Photoshop Resizing/Resampling and changing the Resolution from 72 to 150 ppi feature. Both software features can now be handled in just 1 plug in "Level Theta Images". And this is a good thing.

Thanks for pointing the plugin out to us.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
360Texas

Update - changed to add PTGUI Numeric Transformation Pitch = -90°
Dave
Visit 360texas.com