Question regarding Flash vs HTML5 panos, etc.

Q&A about the latest versions
mikeb

I have a question or two regarding Flash and HTML5. From having created panos or virtual tours with both of them I am trying to figure out whether using Flash is really necessary any longer. I mean, it appears to me that html5 looks as good and, and especially with the new version of Pano2VR, it seems we can do virtually anything with html5 that we might have done with Flash.

So, I guess one question I have is, do not most all computers, browsers, devices, etc. now support html5 so that virtually every device and computer can run html5 and not need to have a flash version of a virtual tour?

Another question: is there some benefit to having a Flash version of the virtual tour in addition to the html5 version at this point in time? Why not just a single responsive html5 version?

Essentially, if I offer my services to others commercially, would it be practical and appropriate at this point in time to only offer html5 virtual tours, or is it still best for whatever reason to offer both html5 and flash with a fall back to one or the other?

Kind Regards,
Mike
hum@no.id

Gumir J | VR Panoramic Photographer | mobile: +77055717171 | skype: gumirj
website: gumirj.com | google.com/+gumirj | facebook.com/gumirj | twitter.com/gumirj
seanbhalliday

I can give you my perspective.

Until recently, I made all my tours Flash first with an html5 fallback.

Nowadays, I do html5 first, with a Flash fallback.

The skin I make has basically all the cool stuff using html5, and I disable all those when flash is used
and I make some basic elements for navigation for Flash and that is it.

Looking at who will be using Flash, it will mainly be those people accessing the web from work that still uses
old Operating Systems and old versions of IE (I work for a software company that makes Healthcare software
for hospitals and you would not believe the older systems they make their employees use. It is very hard
for us to make improvements to our software and still keep basic usage using those old systems).

Here is an example of how if you watch the html5 version of this tour and the flash, they will be greatly different,
but still keep available an "experience" for the user no matter what they use to view the tour.

http://seanhallidayphotography.com/real ... geWoodRoad

Sean B. Halliday