Blurry Hotspot Node Previews v7

Q&A about the latest versions
mbb

v7 arm64 (mac)

I reported this new issue that cropped up in the last 7beta but it was not addressed, so now that the issue is also present in v7-

I am getting blurry hotspot node previews. Not only are the preview images lower resolution than their size would dictate, but they show up even MORE blurry and low res in the final skin--
Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 9.54.58 AM.png
Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 9.54.58 AM.png (425.78 KiB) Viewed 71188 times
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Under the Web output and Advanced tab, what is your Hotspot setting, sharp or smooth?
What skin are you using?
If it's your own skin can post it or send it to support.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
mbb

I have "smooth" selected.

Note that the hotspot node previews in the "images" folder created by p2vr are sharp 120x120 images.

I will send you an email with the .ggsk skin file and a couple of the generated hotspot preview images.

EDIT:

Ok I have rebuilt the tour selecting "sharp" and this has fixed the problem.

However- questions remain, such as: Why is this not the new default? Why would "smooth" effect such very small preview images in such a drastic manner (ie: making them look so poor)?

Thanks!
Hopki
Gnome

Hi mbb,
The setting was set to default by customer request.
A little history, the point hotspots could be seen to "wiggle" up and down when the panorama was rotated slowly, more so when the panorama had a very slow auto rotate and the hotspots were at the sides where you have the most distortion.
To overcome this a smooth setting was introduced to smooth out the wiggle.

The overall effect means the hotspots no longer wiggle but the hotspot image is not as sharp, hence why it's called sharp and smooth.
If you don't want this setting just create an output template and use this for all your projects.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
mbb

RE: The setting was set to default by customer request.

Here's the problem with that-

This new customer requested default will now degrade every single VR tour I have ever made whenever I bring it into the new version of Pano2VR for re-export (to make changes, updates etc) unless this particular setting is sought out and explicitly set to what it was before. I did not have an issue with "jiggling" hotspots because I use very small icons. My node previews only appear upon hovering, and having them all of a sudden become blurry messes when they weren't before is kinda goofy.

That's not typically how one should roll out such a change to the software. Would you not agree?

Additionally, there very terms "Sharp" vs "Smooth Motion" do not accurately depict the expected result. Perhaps the terminology should indicate that smoother motion results in poorer image quality. Because it REALLY makes those node previews look bad.
Manel

there is also another issue, if you select sharp, everything is ok and looks the same than the Version 6, if you select smooth the Hotspot appears much much bigger than normal.

By default it should be "sharp" to avoid problems.
thomas
Chief Gnome

We changed this with version 7.0.1. "Sharp" is now the default.
MfG, Thomas