360 Video - Black Screen

Q&A about the latest versions
PStorey

Hi, Im trying to build a tour using video but have a slight problem. When hosted on a website, the video just outputs a black screen. I get the holding image for the first 5s, then it switches to the video, I can hear audio and also see any hotspots so know its all working but get a black screen for video. I'm thinking its codec related but can find very little info on the correct settings

FYI, it works fine locally and I can scrub through the video in Pano2VR. the current format is 7680x3840/30FPS/H265 and has a duration of 2:22.

Anyone shed any light on this?
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
The video is far too large.
Panop2VR uses native browser support and 360 video is very limited.
The max should be 3840 x 1920, but even this can trip up some mobiles so try 2048 x 1024px.
HandBrake is good for encoding, use the Apple surround 30 preset, then select Web Optimised which helps start the video sooner as this is best for streaming.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
PStorey

ah, ok, many thanks. We cant do that low resolution unfortunately as we planned on doing VR and that's just too low resolution to look presentable. Approaching the problem from a different way then, is there anyway to export from Pano2VR to a self contained app or file I could load on either a Pico Android based VR headset or an Oculus Quest? Its a proof of concept project and need to find a way to get the best out of the video. Thanks
3DV

You could take a look at VR Tourviewer: https://www.vrtourviewer.com

It's a dedicated VR app that uses Pano2VR output, including hotspots, polygonal hotspots, overlay images and video and even supports 180 and 360 monoscopic and 3D videos, pdf and web pages.
Skins, css and JavaScript are not supported though.

With the next public update 8K 360 video on Oculus Quest 2 will be supported. On Pico G2 4K or Neo 2 this will be impossible, it's processor isn't powerful enough so has a max of around 5.7K.
If you'd like to have access to the beta version of VR Tourviewer that supports this already, please send me an email or private message with the email address of your Oculus account, so I can add you to the Beta test channel of the app.
Ruud van Reenen
3DV - Real estate artist impressions and animations
VR Tourviewer - Experience Pano2VR tours on Oculus Go, Quest, Rift, Pico and Cardboard VR headsets
PStorey

Thanks, it looks an interesting platform but unfortunately I need more functionality by way of the HTML/Skins etc for this one. If all else fails, Ill have to build in Unity or something.