My Stereo experiments

Panos/Objects created with Pano2VR/Object2VR/Pano2QTVR. You are welcome to post your recent creations here.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Never taken a stereo pano before and as we now have the HMD template I thought id better give it it ago.
So had a try at two methods as I only have one camera.

The first method was from Wim Koornneef which I was luckily enough to see him demonstrate this technique at the Venna Pano Tools meeting in 2011.
Wim has detailed instructions found on the Nodal Ninja's forum which also includes the video if the talk.

However I changed it slightly as I have the Canon 6D and the 8-15mm lens. With the lens set to 12mm I shot 12 around then made my own mask following Wim's design. I moved the camera 30mm forward of the NNP on an NN3 pano head.
IMG_0185 2.JPG
IMG_0185 2.JPG (158.24 KiB) Viewed 2885 times
IMG_0187 2.JPG
IMG_0187 2.JPG (218.72 KiB) Viewed 2885 times
The output:LINK

The second method was to off set the camera, still with the lens set to 12mm, but this time only requites 4 around for each offset, so a total of 8 shots altogether.
I used two rotators and the lower rail of the NN3 pano head with an R1 pano head.
IMG_0184 2.JPG
IMG_0184 2.JPG (149.68 KiB) Viewed 2885 times
IMG_0183 2.JPG
IMG_0183 2.JPG (142.88 KiB) Viewed 2885 times
I used 35mm from centre of the lower rotator to the centre of the lens. Rotate using the lower rotator, then once taken the left images turn the camera on the rail 180º then rotate the lower rotator so the camera is now on the right. Take the 4 shots around. 2 x 35mm gives me the 70mm difference between the image sets.

Parts list,
NN3 Lower rail
Rotator RD8
Rotator Mini
R1 Pano Head

Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
360Texas

This is encouraging. Thank you. I too have never done this before. I think I have enough parts and pieces bracket hardware to give this a try.

I understand the Right and Left panorama offset from tripod center point of rotation.
1st Method:
I moved the camera 30mm forward of the NNP on an NN3 pano head.
Is there science for relocating the lens forward of the proper NPP? Moving forward of NPP you are certainly adding parallax. If the bracket and lens are not calibrated for NPP probably will have a dickens of time trying to stitch. There must be more to this than first thought.

I gave Wim's tutorial a quick read.... (brain freeze)
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com