Is an API key necessary?

frodo

Hi to all!
I´ve been absent for a while on this forum and many things have changed, regarding Pano2VR (for good) and specially StreetView, which is what I will ask you about, regarding the API.
My question: I want to upload an image or a few, edited in Pano2VR and upload them to StreetView. In this case do I need an API key?
Just an image I´ve created and uploaded to mine or a third person account. It confuses me a little the option of API for Google Places. No maps in this case nor Google Maps images, the images are mine.
Sorry if this was asked before.
Regards, Martin
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Martin,
Not if you're only uploading a few a week, but any more than this then we recommend you have your own API Key.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
frodo

Hi, Martin!
Thanks for your answer. The same, it is still a little bit confusing to me. I've seen the tutorial videos, but the same, I'm confused. I understand that there is a limit to upload certain number of images. Now in case I upload them to a client verified place on Google, should I do it with my key (which I don't have yet), or should it be the client's API key?
Thanks, regards, Martin
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
In this case it’s not the about the key, you need to make sure you use your customers account.

With regards to the API key, think about it like this, we have a key, and when people upload using it, it cost us a sum of money which we don’t mind doing from our account.
But if lots of people started to use it and the cost got out of control, we would disable it until until the following month.

Of course if this is your business you would not want this disruption in service and you would want your own key.

However, you may as well get your own key because if you don’t use it that much then it would be free for you to use and you are in control of it. If you use it a lot then you would want to have your own key anyway.

This is why when you use one of the cloud based Street View upload providers they charge you as you are using their API key.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
delete30

If Ur virtual tour need google map skin element to navigator panos,U should have api key!
If U wanna get more detail google satellite map to alignment panos,U need api key...
Otherwise, No need api key!
etegration

Hopki wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:18 pm Hi,
In this case it’s not the about the key, you need to make sure you use your customers account.

With regards to the API key, think about it like this, we have a key, and when people upload using it, it cost us a sum of money which we don’t mind doing from our account.
But if lots of people started to use it and the cost got out of control, we would disable it until until the following month.

Of course if this is your business you would not want this disruption in service and you would want your own key.

However, you may as well get your own key because if you don’t use it that much then it would be free for you to use and you are in control of it. If you use it a lot then you would want to have your own key anyway.

This is why when you use one of the cloud based Street View upload providers they charge you as you are using their API key.
Regards,
oh i see when we leave it blank, we are simply riding on pano2vr/ gnome software's keys?
Hopki
Gnome

Yep,
This is a good test to see if your API key has issues.
If Street View is your business we recommend you have your own key, as we reserve the right to switch ours off if it is being used to much.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
etegration

Hopki wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:35 pm Yep,
This is a good test to see if your API key has issues.
If Street View is your business we recommend you have your own key, as we reserve the right to switch ours off if it is being used to much.
Regards,
thank you!