Pano2QTVR 1.6.6 reports error when showing output .mov

Q&A about the latest release Version
paulus

I use Pano2QTVR 1.6.6 on Vista, with Quicktime (Alternative) 7.4.0.85.
Everytime I try to create a Cylindrical panaroma, and the viewer starts up,
I do not see Quicktime, but get an error message displayed:
"A software error occurred"
When I try to create a Equirectangular panaroma, the viewer does start up normal,
however, I need the Cylindrical panaroma.

Is this a known problem?
thomas
Chief Gnome

Hmmm... haven't not seen this. Can you send me the resulting .mov file?
MfG, Thomas
paulus

Where can I send the .mov file?
thomas
Chief Gnome

Some people on the QTVR mailing list reported that QuickTime 7.4.1 fixes some QTVR related bugs. Have you tried to use this latest version? If this doesn't help just click on the "PM" button to send me your file.
MfG, Thomas
paulus

thomas wrote:Some people on the QTVR mailing list reported that QuickTime 7.4.1 fixes some QTVR related bugs. Have you tried to use this latest version? If this doesn't help just click on the "PM" button to send me your file.
I installed 7.4.1, with the same result: Equirectangular does not give an error (although the QTVR image is shown partially in black and white,
whereas the original has colour), Cylindrical shows "software error". I tried to view most examples on your webpage, these work all OK for me,
so QTVR seems (at least for viewing) to work OK.
thomas
Chief Gnome

Ok, the panorama is broken. Looks like QuickTime is not installed correct or has some other problem. Maybe the reason is the hacked QuickTime version you where using. Maybe try to uninstall the QuickTime "alternative" and install the genuine Apple QuickTime.
Some people also reported problems with QuickTime and NVIDIA hdd drivers. If this also doesn't help I am running out of ideas. Maybe you should report the problem to Apple or upgrade to Pano2VR.
MfG, Thomas
paulus

thomas wrote:Ok, the panorama is broken. Looks like QuickTime is not installed correct or has some other problem. Maybe the reason is the hacked QuickTime version you where using. Maybe try to uninstall the QuickTime "alternative" and install the genuine Apple QuickTime.
I installed Apple's original Quicktime 7.4.1.10. It works. Indeed, the Quicktime Alternative Codec does not work flawlessly, at least for Pano2QTVR.
Rob Gorham

I run Windows XP / IExplorer. Since installing QuickTime 7.4, we had been experiencing significant errors on closing a QT pano. With QT 7.4, the system would drop QuickTime upon closing a QT pano. You could not access a set of panos for example.
By installing the "fixed" QT 7.4.1, we would get a "buffer overrun" message and the "fixed" problem had become worse.
After weeks of thrashing about, I found a thread that suggested that the problem with the QT 7.4.1 FIX was that the automatic installation clean up had not cleaned up properly and that may have contributed to the problem.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 2&#6571472
I followed the posted advice, downloaded the Windows Installer CleanUp utility, ran it and things seem to be back to normal. My confidence in Apple, however has been shaken significantly.