interpolators

Q&A about the latest release Version
Carel

I am still mighty befuddled by the topic of interpolators. For instance when converting cubic back to equirectangular, Lancosz is "not allowed" but the various spline interpolators are.

I think there is an illustrated list of different interpolators hidden somewhere on Thomas's website, but I cant find it anymore.

Am I correct in thinking that spline 64 is better than spline 36? Then I have heard good things about Hamming or Hanning, but dont know which of the two was so highly recommended.

Any guidelines and/or "rules of thumb"?

Carel
hum@no.id

Hi!
cubic back to equirectangular
But where you found such function???
smooth

hum@no.id wrote:Hi!
cubic back to equirectangular
But where you found such function???
In the same place you find equirectangular to cubic only after the event.

Regards, Smooth 8)
hum@no.id

Oops... I am a blind :oops:

I'm never used this remaping...

Carel rights... there there is problems described by him.
thomas
Chief Gnome

Carel wrote:I am still mighty befuddled by the topic of interpolators. For instance when converting cubic back to equirectangular, Lancosz is "not allowed" but the various spline interpolators are.
I think you need a newer pano12.dll or you can disable "use PanoTools" in the Pano2QTVR menu. Then all interpolators are available.
Carel wrote:I think there is an illustrated list of different interpolators hidden somewhere on Thomas's website, but I cant find it anymore.

Am I correct in thinking that spline 64 is better than spline 36? Then I have heard good things about Hamming or Hanning, but dont know which of the two was so highly recommended.
You can find them here http://www.pano2qtvr.com/dll_patch.php spline 64 is better than 36 but all the "old" interpolators suffer from aliasing. I personally prefer Mitchell and Lanczos3 from the new interpolators.
MfG, Thomas
Carel

OK, almost there :-)

I remember seeing a page where the same image of the greek (?) stadium was used to compare all interpolators on one page. Something like: "click on one of the interpolator's names and an interpolated crop of the stadium is shown, using that interpolator.
thomas
Chief Gnome

Hmm... have not seen that for the new interpolators but it would be definitely a good idea to do this some day...
MfG, Thomas
360Texas

I think you might have seen the Greek Theatre under the filter chart link anit-alising samples:

Burgruine Finkenstein. Original 6000x3000, Tilesize 400
NO Anti-alising

http://www.pano2qtvr.com/dll_patch.php
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
Carel

This is very strange. I seem to remember very clearly a page where one could click on a number of interpolators and see the results in rapid succession. The image used was the greek theater or a part of it. You could see how the text on the blue sign at the top of the theater became more or less readable depending on the interpolator used.

I remember feeling overwhelmed by all the slight variations, so I am rather certain that there were more than 4 interpolators shown. Oh, well, I guess I am hallucinating :(