equirectangular to cubic and cubic to equirectangular

Q&A about the latest release Version
jaaaab

Hi all

I use pano2qtvr to remove my tripod on panoramas.

I first do a equirectangular to cubic convertion, then work on images in photoshop, and at last i do a cubic to equirectangular convertion.

That works perfectly, but theres something that bother me:

My original equirectangular is about 600ko, and after the two convertions, pano2qtvr gives me a 6MB file!!

where did i get wrong???

thanks
thomas
Chief Gnome

I guess you use JPEG. It's not a good idea to use JPEG as a format for such operations because you lose quality with each step. If you still want to do it I set the quality to 100 which gives you this size.

The best thing to do is to use TIFF for the whole process and only save the JPEG in the very last step, maybe in a smaller resolution for PTViewer.
MfG, Thomas
Timothy

On the topic of cubic back to equirectangular, I need some answers. #1: New or Existing project? #2: Should patched nadir face, along with other five faces be put in a separate folder? It seems that Pano2Qtvr selects the range
( from 0-5 ) of faces that it output. #3: When the Convert button is pushed and the Save As prompt comes up, I asume I am creating a new TIFF? #4: If the cubic to Equi progress window stalls at the Writing to TIFF stage, is this normal? I am close to the end, but info on these steps is sparse!
jaaaab

ok thomas, but i mean there's a button to set quality of faces when you do equi to cubic, but there's no button to set quality when you do cubic to equi!
thomas
Chief Gnome

jaaaab wrote:ok thomas, but i mean there's a button to set quality of faces when you do equi to cubic, but there's no button to set quality when you do cubic to equi!
I know, but does this conversion make sense?
MfG, Thomas
thomas
Chief Gnome

Timothy wrote:On the topic of cubic back to equirectangular, I need some answers. #1: New or Existing project?
What do you mean by that?
Timothy wrote: #2: Should patched nadir face, along with other five faces be put in a separate folder? It seems that Pano2Qtvr selects the range
( from 0-5 ) of faces that it output.
For the conversation all faces must be in the same directory but if you like to keep only the patched face you can also store it in a seperate place.
Timothy wrote:#3: When the Convert button is pushed and the Save As prompt comes up, I asume I am creating a new TIFF?
Yes, but you can also overwrite the old one.
Timothy wrote:#4: If the cubic to Equi progress window stalls at the Writing to TIFF stage, is this normal?
If you have large files this is normal because there is a lot of data to write onto the Harddisk.
Timothy wrote:I am close to the end, but info on these steps is sparse!
Lets see, if I can improve this.
MfG, Thomas
Timothy

Thomas:

Thanks for the help. Re: Question #1, when I open Pano2QTVR the options are Create New Project or Open Existing Project. Does it make any difference how I get to my Cubic TIFF faces for conversion back to Equi? The existing project is a .pqp suffix, so my guess is Create New Project because the files I need are TIFF's.
Timothy

Thomas:
Thanks for your patience. If I had bothered to look at the tutorial on your website I would have seen that it was a simple drag and drop routine to return the cubic faces to a .mov file, which is what I wanted anyway.