How to set a custom jpeg quality setting for preview track

Q&A about the latest release Version
smooth

Absolutely 100% has to do with the image that is being fed to Pano2QTVR.
I have just tested another panorama of mine and it works perfectly.

If I run the same thing with Dorin's image it fails to work. I can only assume EXIF data is the cause. Find a way to strip this data and I bet it would work.

I see some programs that can do this but none of them free (so far!)

Regards, Smooth 8)
DorinDXN

Thank you gentlemens,

@Smooth
ExtractJpeg managed to extract all the 12 tiles, It took about 15 minutes to complete (Win 2000 AMD Sempron 2200+ 1GB RAM)

The size in pixells is the same for both preview tiles and main tiles becouse I deliberatelly used 1:1 color for preview in the .mov posted above.

If your extracted tiles are each around 1MB or less in size these are the preview, if them are around 2..4 MB these are the main ones.

the images feed are tiff, them are produced from one of my own written software and has no exif data them are clean tifs, I'll test now with BMPs if I can feed them to Pano2QTVR.. maybe is the size in pixells...

however my goal is to use 1:2 preview at 60-80 quality and that lead me here all the failed tests was done with 1:2 color preview track as seen in the logs posted

still investigating,

Dorin
smooth

OK, so there seems to be a maximum pixel limit and your image tiles exceed this limit. I see now where "your" problem is. I tried at 10% and at 90% and the preview tiles remained the same weight. Still there is something very different about your work flow as it doesn't extract the same way as mine do using Pure Tools Extract. Using ExtractJpeg I'm now try to find the preview pixel size limit. Thomas may already know this answer and let us in on it? Will save some mucking around.

I should also ask why you are trying this with such a large panorama image file?

Regards, Smooth 8)
smooth

Very strange :?

I have reduced the image cubes to 1500 pixels and still at 10% or 90% the image weight remains the same!

But only with Dorin's image. Using my own things work as expected.

More tests....

Regards, Smooth 8)
DorinDXN

Actually the images aren't mine , I feed to Pano2QTVR the tiffs then Panoqtvr convert and compress those and produce it's own jpegs and feed to QuickTime, the logs seems to reflect that, but is like QT said "wait a minute, I can't put that thing in preview .." and Pano2Qtvr gives the 20 instead..without logg-ing smt about, but what puzzles me from where are those at 20% and when are those made?!

So your tests are made using jpegs produced and embedded by Pano2qtvr then extracted. thanks for testing!

strange indeed

Dorin
thomas
Chief Gnome

Sorry for the late answer but one HD crashed so I wanted to add a new one to the RAID before I can test it.
QuickTime tricked us all.... I use the QuickTimeVR Flattener which is a QuickTime component to optimize the QTVR after the creation. This component rearranges the tile and unfortunately it also re compresses the JPEGs!?!?!. So to get the better quality you need to turn it of with the checkbox "Optimization - Rearrange tiles". The drawback is, that the tiles are not ordered in the viewing direction.
Pano2VR uses its own QuickTime engine and doesn't show this flaw.
MfG, Thomas
smooth

Well that answers that! Thanks Thomas.
I still will do some more testing because I don't think I had that check box unchecked on my own images.

We'll see......

Regards, Smooth 8)
DorinDXN

[quote="thomas"]
QuickTime tricked us all.... I use the QuickTimeVR Flattener which is a QuickTime component to optimize the QTVR after the creation. This component rearranges the tile and unfortunately it also re compresses the JPEGs!?!?!. So to get the better quality you need to turn it of with the checkbox "Optimization - Rearrange tiles". The drawback is, that the tiles are not ordered in the viewing direction.
Pano2VR uses its own QuickTime engine and doesn't show this flaw.[/quote]

Thank you Thomas for solving the mistery,

Now works as you said

Thanks to all for help and for the investigation in this issue.

my problem is solved
http://www.dxn.ro/wedding_salas.html
(23 MB download including 1MB audio)

the 6000 wide pano is suppose to download now in the first 20% of total download time and the next 80% will contribute to increase the resolution to 12000.
maybe is not the best exemple for having a 12000 wide pano with 6000 wide high pano as a preview, but once the technique works as I expected a more appropriate example/use will follow

Dorin
ericob

I am glad that you have chosen to use XML as the project file format. That way, if necessary, we can open said file and hack it.

However, common settings should be available to change from within the visual interface. Such a "common setting" I would consider to be the quality setting for the preview track.

Please: in pano2VR, just offer a way to set this value from inside pano2VR.

Thanks.
thomas
Chief Gnome

Done. Pano2VR beta2 has this slider in the "Tiles Quality" window.
MfG, Thomas