Can't Convert to cube faces from partial cylinder

Q&A about the latest release Version
Bruce

Hi to the forum.
New to Pano2QTVR and starting a bit from the deep end perhaps with an issue. I am converting by command line stitched panoramas to jpeg cube faces (for use in flashpanorama). Doing this with the below parameter:

Pano2QTVR.exe -e "C:\pano\chapel.bmp" -f "C:\pano\chapel"

This works very well for spheres and 360 cylinders, but when I try it on a partial cylinder pano2qtvr seems to assume that it is a sphere and

A. For the zenith and nadir it does not put in the necessary black holes, but pulls the image right to the top and bottom.
B. It assumes the pano is 360, so when I should have most or more of a cue face with black, all 4 horizontal cubes show the image.

I played with the pan.min/max and tilt.min/max but they don't seem to have any effect. Perhaps they only work when expoting to QTVR. Would much appreciate any advice.

See here for a screenshot of each face:
http://inview.jp/files/cubefaces.jpg

cheers
Bruce
360Texas

Hi Bruce, welcome to the forum.

I do not use the command line. However, wanted to brainstorm your issue for a few minutes.

Is your panorama 2:1 ratio like 2000 x 4000 pixel dimensions?

On Pano2qtvr Project Tab your Panorama choices are Equirectangular (2:1), Cubic (I think means 6 separate tile face files) as compared to 1 image with the cube face sides. And Cylinder which is a non 2:1 image possibly even a partial panorama.

When I click on Cylinder radio button, Converting to cube is grayed out.

This tells me that converting a parital or full cylinder to cube files may not be do-able.

HOWever, you can make your cylinder a 2:1 image. Lets say your curreny cylinder is 5000 pixels wide. In photoshop make a new canvas with a black or colored background that is 2500 x 5000 wide. Paste and flatten your cylinder mid center of this new canvas. Ok NOW you can use Pano2qtvr to cube your image. I think you will find that you will have large BLACK or colored areas above and below your cylinder.

Just took another look at your URL sample. Looks like it is a partial panorama... excludes the wall behind the photographer. Here is where it is preferable to take the 360 cylinder and yes this is where you would use the MIN. MAX FOV settings. You set the left, right, tilt UP/down limits similar to the kind we used with PTViewer Java delivery. Those values get used when generating a Flash or QTVR output file.

Welcome to the Forum...Bruce. Hope all is well in Japan.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
Bruce

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Good to meet you over here!
So, to answer your questions...

My pano is 3101x1500. So it is very close to a 2:1 sphere size, which may be confusing pano2qtvr?
But of course this is a cylinder pano. That is why the width is not very long.

I tried the same as you in the GUI with same results.

>In photoshop make a new canvas with a black or colored
> background that is 2500 x 5000 wide. Paste and flatten your
> cylinder mid center of this new canvas. Ok NOW you can use
> Pano2qtvr to cube your image. I think you will find that you
> will have large BLACK or colored areas above and below your
> cylinder.

Thanks again, though I thought about trying that, and would it not leave out the important factor of getting the distortion perspective right? Just copying and pasting into a spherical image, the fov would be completely lost and an even worse image than I see woudl occur, no? Or maybe someone has a magical action for that?

cheers
Bruce
360Texas

Just took another look at your URL sample. Looks like it is a partial panorama... excludes the wall behind the photographer as well as being a cylinder.

Best to use a full 360 cylinder
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Bruce

Dave,

That's right its a partial cylinder. Now with this experience I will make note to always take a 360 even if not going to show all. However for this project I have several half cylinders I need to convert somehow...
Wracking my brains but no idea on this one.
Worst case scenario maybe it might be possible in the new 2.0 version? ;)
360Texas

pano2vr now works with cylinders and various types of cubes.

Question: did Iseemedia photovista convert partial panoramas <less than 360 degrees to a vertical striped cube image??

I also think that iseemedia's photovista (using the .ivr) would display a vertical cube strip image. But that was long time ago.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Bruce

Dave,
Thanks again. Yes pano2qtvr seems to do 360 cylinders, but not partial.
And Photovista I also had to check myself, but unfortunately it will only convert to a cube from a full 360x180 sphere.

But I sat back and thought about this, and realised I was thinking too hard. I just looked at the average width of my 360 degree cylinder panos pixels, and I increased the canvas size of the partial to that size in photoshop. Then putting it through pano2qtvr it correctly recognized it was a 360 cylinder and got the nadir and zenith.

Sometimes you have to sleep on it.

Bruce
360Texas

Please elaborate when you have a moment

??width of my 360 degree cylinder panos pixels, and I increased the canvas size of the partial to that size in photoshop. ?
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Bruce

Ok. So I have a partial cylinder panorama.
I used the same lens and camera to make other 360 cylinders. I know the height is roughly the same in the panos as it is the same lens and equipment, same technique to take the shots.

So I averaged the pixel width of all the 360 panoramas (just to be careful), and that average width I then used to increase the canvas size in Photoshop. Really it seems pano2qtvr needs is a long image, then it will make correctly the 6 cube faces with a black whole for the zenith and nadir, instead of trying to pull the image to the zenith and nadir as if it was a sphere.

Simple workaround but worked first time! Just need to estimate for the degrees versus pixels, but I am not a perfectionist.
surroundimage

Hi Dave

I had a similar issue with converting cylindricals, and I used your suggestion of increasing the canvas size to a 2:1 ratio. Now, how do I prevent the top and bottom black area from displaying in my Flashpanorama? Is there a way to fix the zoom?
Bruce

SurroundImage,

You want to use the "borders" plugin for Flashpanorama. It will enable limiting the area that can be shown of the panorama image.

Below is a simple version of the XML file that uses borders plugin.
I can't remember where I learn't the syntax and can't see it in the manual, but if you get stuck let me know. Of course the Flashpano forum would also be more appropriate probably for that discussion...

<?xml version='1.0'?>
<panorama>
<parameters>

panoName = images/pano1
layer_1 = files/borders.swf

</parameters>

<borders>
pan_min = -60
pan_max = 60
tilt_min = -30
tilt_max = 30
</borders>