Full screen

Q&A about the latest release Version
PanoMapper

Smashing program this... I particularly like that I can create fullscreen pans, but with this comes a slight problem, which someone might be able to resolve for me... :D

I am aware that more and more people, including me, are using widescreen monitors, and when I look at presentations, they have the same qualities as watching a 4:3 movie on a widescreen TV. In other words, everything looks a little out of proportion. Pressing F11 in IE helps to redress the balance a little and I would like to modify the source code of the generated html page to open the new fullscreen image in this mode. Is this possible? Does anyone have the code?

Thanks in advance.

For anyone with an interest in old Norwegian churches, they can see the work I have done to date at http://tynsetkirke.no/besok.htm.

Thanks again,

Jon
360Texas

Jon, Welcome to the forum

We use a Samsung 226 to view wide screen panoramas.

I think this what you are talking about.

Yes, I think you may be able to do this. On the Settings Tab, set your Movie Properties Window size to be wider than 3:4 ratio. Example I think default window size might be 400 wide x 300 high px. I changed mine to the World Wide Panorama Events required size of 570 wide x 320 high. Then on the helpers Tab.. HTML FILE find TEMPLATE | select FULL SCREEN .html QTVR flavor. This will generate an html page with the full screen option using your panorama file name. It will open to the full width of any monitor 'wide' or typical 3:4 ratio
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
PanoMapper

Hi! Thanks for your kind words of welcome!

Hmm... I see where you are going, but the problem is that even when setting the proportions to those you suggest, the actual proportions of the image changes. Compare, if you will, the following urls:

http://tynsetkirke.no/movies/menhus_test.htm

http://tynsetkirke.no/movies/kvik_mh.htm

and

http://tynsetkirke.no/kviknemenhus_pan_1.htm,

and you will see that the proportions are slightly different. By pressing F11 in IE 7, these come a little closer to the third, which is quite correct.

The first two are, in fact, exactly the same on a widescreen monitor, although one was created at 4:3 and the other proportionally based on the dimensions of my monitor: 360x225 pixels.

Now this is where the problem seems to lie, since with all the "*&% that appears at the top of the window (I think I am meant to call it a toolbar), it further reduces the proportion. I could, in fact, base the movie on the proportions of the available window size, but with everone and everybrowser having different settings, this seems a fruitless task. What I need to be able to do is open the window to the same setting as it appears on pressing the F11 key, thus redressing the proportions slightly for those, like me, who think widescreen is cool!

Any other suggestions? I'm all out of ideas! I think it should be a simple alteration to the javascript window.open script, but I'm damned if I know what it is.

Thanks to all in advance,

Jon
http://tynsetkirke.no

PS Sorry about any poor English in these messages... I don't get to speak it very often!
360Texas

Not sure but you might be able to set the sceen display dimensions to % instead of using specific pixel dimensions. % like 91% height x 99% width will use the available width and height.

I know QTVR will use %'s. Not sure about flash .swf projections.

I revisited your images.. appears you are already using this code

Code: Select all

if (window.p2q_Version) {
					p2q_EmbedQuicktime('kvikpan_2_test.mov','99%','91%',
					  'scale','tofit',
					  'controller','true');
The last panorama #3 has been preset to display at

Code: Select all

movies/kvikpan_2.mov" width="400" height="300"
When clicking on #2 this is what I see full screen

Dave
Visit 360texas.com
PanoMapper

Thanks for taking such an interest in this...

Unfortunately, your idea didn't work, although it was quite inspired. Actually, I'm not sure anything will. I tried creating a .mov file just to the proportions of the page area in my browser, which is approximately 7:3 and the result... exactly the same problem. I could transform the original panorama jpeg accordingly, but then this will not work with 4:3 format screens.

I suppose this is one of those problems that will not be surmounted until program developers get used to the idea of ws monitors. At the moment, programs stretch to fit and, I suppose, the same is the case for certain embedded activeX on web pages. This is one for web developers to scream about.

Power to your panorama!

Thanks,

Jon
360Texas

Just 1 more thought.

Leave your page as is for now... full screen 99 and 91%

If your wide screen image appears to be stretched... you can change that by changing the FoV values to

FoV

Normal persons eye typically sees at about 90 degrees angle of view. By using the START FoV 90 value... will reduce the amount of barrel distortion you will see with wide screens.

Please try that and let me know what you see.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
PanoMapper

Good thinking, although the values you provided were, to my eye, not quite right. I changed the values a little more radically, which seems to work. These are

90 / 61.4 / 5 (althought this last number is of no consequence)

and although it feels a little close and too cramped with this one, since the subject is very close, but I've done a test with a different one, which appears fine. When I resize the browser to roughly 4:3 proportions, everything seems to be fine as well!

http://tynsetkirke.no/movies/tylldalpan_in_test.htm

It's not perfect, but is, I think, about as good as it gets. Oddly, and I am not sure if this has anything to do with the issue, in each case I have used a fisheye image as the tripod cap, and to achieve the right proportions, the starting FOV is exactly the height of the circular image... Perhaps someone in Cyberspace can explain this!

For anyone with widescreen issues who is watching this thread, the resulting settings are as follows:

Viewing screen proportions appprox. 7:3.16. [On my site, I am offering smaller views alongside the fullscreen versions, for which I have decided to go with a widescreen aspect as well. Thus, using these proportions, I have decided on an image size of 665x300 px, which takes into account the actual viewing area of the fullscreen panorama. For these proportions, the math is a little hard to realize, but if you want a differently sized movie, just set up a blank page in photoshop of 665x300 and reproportion it with alt+ctrl+I, ensuring that the "scale sizes" box is ticked.]

The results can be viewed laterhttp://tynsetkirke.no/besok_eng.htm.

Max FOV: 90
Start FOV: 61.4

Many thanks for your input into this project.

Jon
360Texas

Yes. I thought you might be on the correct track when you said "Stretch". Stretch by another name might be called barrel distortion. And yes they really do look great on my 22" wide screen.

Great job!
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
PanoMapper

Problem solved completely: See entry from Mathrafal, 21/7/07