PLEASE option to not touch the exif!

Q&A about the latest release Version
Shanti

I know I am probably shooting in the dark seeing as the development has stopped for pano2qtvr (shamefully btw, why would I buy another program from you just to be abandoned later for another one?) anyways, could there be at least a small update to keep the EXIF on the jpg? For the tiles, equirectangular and the thumbnails or for every JPG that comes out of pano2qtvr? gps loggers are getting used more and more and it’s a hassle to re-tag the jpg's than pano2qtvr produces, also, I would like to keep the exif to show how the pano was taken (exposure, f-stop, etc) I am creating a PHP system to upload my panos to my website, and having EXIF is a major advantage!

Thanks in advanced

Shanti Gilbert
smooth

Shanti,

People are going to have differing opinions on this but you purchased Pano2QTVR long after the release of Pano2VR so that was your choice. Pano2QTVR v1.6.6 is classed as final because it was felt all bugs had been sorted and it had reached the end of it's limitations and a new platform/infrastructure was required to cater for new Flash releases and the options it offered. Too ease the pain for loyal customers a discount is offered to those who wish to upgrade to a Pano2VR license from Pano2QTVR. The attraction with Pano2VR is plentiful with Flash 8/9/10 supported, A Skin Editor, Patch extracting for editing (even 16 bit) and whole heap more. I had no issue with the upgrade as Thomas is never stagnant on his software and we see improvements often. The price is fair in my eyes.

As for the GPS exif data issue I can see your point 100% and this needs to be fixed within both Pano2QTVR and Pano2VR. Because as soon as you use either of these programs the exif data is totally stripped out meaning we have to manually replace the exif data. I currently use a GPS unit on my Nikon D300 but have to manually replace the Exif data using alternate software. Mind you the software is free Geo Setter from www.geosetter.de but it is time consuming and really there should be a way for Thomas to allow a way for our original exif data to be retained. I remember this was a fairly recent improvement to PTGui stitching software.

So I vote with you Shanti on the exif issue. It is something I also would like resolved.
Personally I think it would be great if Thomas would introduce some sort of Exif editor to the Pano2VR program. Hint, Hint! :wink:

Regards, Smooth 8)
Shanti

Actually Smooth (nice to talk to you again) I bought pano2qtvr BEFORE there was even a flash option...
and yes I agree on it being final, but options, (like the exif one I am recommending) could be implemented, I am no asking to have the same program as pano2vr, just regular bug fixes and minor updates at least!

I don't see a problem neither, pano2vr is a great program, not even complaining there, I just feel left out on pano2qtvr :P

Also, most of the features that pano2vr has I don't need (yet) so pano2qtvr is perfect for me (except the exif of course)

I actually use Geo Setter on my RAW images directly, THEN I export to ptgui, and everything is cheapy, the moment I get to pano2qtvr I have to re do the Geo Setter again not that bad, but still one step that should be eliminated :)

The exif editor sounds good, except I would rather to first be able to leave the exif alone :P

Regards
smooth

Shanti wrote:Actually Smooth (nice to talk to you again) I bought pano2qtvr BEFORE there was even a flash option...
Sorry Shanti I based that on your comments on the Panoguide forum and that you purchased version 1.6.6. Anyway what ever the case the exif is the important factor here.
If you are entering the exif to the images anyway you might as well do this after the conversion by Pano2QTVR at least this way it is just once.

If Thomas could add a exif editor it would simplify the process for me as I could just add any extra fields required like Copyright, URL and all the other available options/input fields.
This is not to say it shouldn't retain any exif information already current in the image. Like my Nikon already has Shutter Speed, Aperture, Copyright, Date and time etc and with the Solmeta GPS added I get Longitude, Latitude added to the exif but I still add more exif data with Geo Setter and this is where an exif editor feature with either Pano2QTVR or Pano2VR would be appreciated.

We live in hope! :P

Regards, Smooth 8)
Shanti

Thomas?
thomas
Chief Gnome

As long as it is not an emergency with an easy fix I don't want to touch Pano2QTVR so it will stay at version 1.6.6. Sorry. But there may be another solution. Hugin has imho a tool to copy EXIF data from one image to another. This may solve your problem.
MfG, Thomas
Shanti

great...remember me not to buy from you again :) good luck with your new software I am out :)
smooth

Maybe this is something you will give some thought to for Pano2VR Thomas?

Regards, Smooth 8)
thomas
Chief Gnome

smooth wrote:Maybe this is something you will give some thought to for Pano2VR Thomas?
Yeah, I plan to do this for Pano2VR, but I still have some problems with the EXIF data handling.
MfG, Thomas
smooth

Great to hear Thomas, Looking forward to this feature.

Regards, Smooth 8)