QTVR protection

Q&A about the latest release Version
hkoontz

Thomas,

Could you or other list members tell me how to protect my QTVRs so that the Right-click>"Save as" function is disabled? I would assume it's the check-box under Settings>Movie Properties>Protection>Enabled, but I haven't had any luck with that. It looks as though if someone has QT Pro, they could easily rip it off - correct? :cry: Is there another way around this?

Thanks,

Hoyle
centreofengland

hkoontz wrote:Thomas,
Could you or other list members tell me how to protect my QTVRs so that the Right-click>"Save as" function is disabled?
Hoyle
Hi Hoyle, I think it only protects when on a browser window.
I use Pano2QTVR and my html does not allow you to save the .mov.

I have turned KIOSKMODE ON and turned the controller OFF.

See an example of this in action on my page here :
http://www.absolutelyandy.com/derbyphotos/wwp/306/
Click on the thumbnail to open the qtvr viewer and then try and right click.
I have Quicktime v7.1.3 Pro and I can not save it with right click.

Hope this helps.
Andy
ThomasK

...and this is the picture link:

Code: Select all

http://www.absolutelyandy.com/derbyphotos/wwp/306/photos/tl01.jpg
centreofengland

ThomasK wrote:...and this is the picture link:

Code: Select all

http://www.absolutelyandy.com/derbyphotos/wwp/306/photos/tl01.jpg
Thomas, Hoyle was asking about protection on a Quicktime movie not photos. You can see my quicktime movie by clicking on the thumbnail that says "Hover to preview click to see it" on it.
thomas
Chief Gnome

hkoontz wrote:Thomas,

Could you or other list members tell me how to protect my QTVRs so that the Right-click>"Save as" function is disabled? I would assume it's the check-box under Settings>Movie Properties>Protection>Enabled, but I haven't had any luck with that. It looks as though if someone has QT Pro, they could easily rip it off - correct? :cry: Is there another way around this?

Thanks,

Hoyle
Works for me with Panoramas but there is a bug with Object movies.... what did you generate?
MfG, Thomas
craigm

Hi,

I have tried applying the protection for object movies as described above using the enabled checkbox and the movie simply was not created with the process stalling at the adding protection prompt.

Is this the bug that is discussed above, if so when is the fix likely to be implemented?

When this is is fixed is it correct that the end user will not be able to download the movie from a website at all?

Craig
patrickcheatham

Hey Hoyle:

Using Kioskmode will keep the casual users from downloading your movies for nefarious purposes. You can further protect your movies using DeliVRator (and a whole lot more), but again, it ultimately only keeps the honest folks out.

With various QTParser scripts and other server shenanigans available, there isn't too much we can do to keep the real "black hats" out of our QT content. Kioskmode is easy to work around for anyone who understands paths and HTML, and being able to extract images and such from QT files is fairly easy for anyone with knowledge past that.

As with many things it's a trade-off -- you could put your copyright directly on your panoramic image in Photoshop before you render out the QTVR, making your image(s) less palatable for folks; this obviously goes against the 'creative' grain. The less accessible you make your images for the black hats, the less accessible you make them for other folks too.

At least, at this point (and I don't see any changes forthcoming), decompiling QT files is generally difficult and any scripting within is pretty well obfuscated even for those in the know; this is unlike Flash projects, where decompilers abound. I think even Thomas has fallen prey to the Flash sort of black hat.

There are other ways to obscure your QT content from would-be thieves -- use multiple layer movies, or streaming, or even compile your movies on-the-fly a la PHP or other server-side scripting -- but again, they can detract from the general experience and ultimately not dissuade the hacker.

If you ask this general question on the IVRPA forums, you migh get different answers; this is just my experience. :-)

P