Launching panos from a flash (swf) interface

Using Pano2VR/Object2VR SWF files with your own Flash projects
arondale

Hello. I've looked on this forum first before posting, but I'm not sure what I read is what I was looking for, so I'm starting a new topic (my first one!) :)

I've created a pretty awesome all-flash website and am using AS2 actionscript (so converting to AS3 not an option here). When I try linking the exported .swf files Pano2VR exports, I cannot use the standard:

Code: Select all

on (press){
   loadMovieNum("nameofpano.swf", 2) //where 2 is the level I am loading it into
   }
When I use the code above, it does nothing. I guess, from examining the HTML that Pano2VR exports, the SWF file is actually looking at the FlashVARS fuction.

SO.... what do I need to do to get the pano to load into level 2 in my flash? I really need to get this to work so I can keep the page. Is it as easy as putting all of the HTML code into the host HTML index page that contains the primary flash somehow?

Many thanks for your suggestions. As an interim band-aid, I'm launching new web pages using the getURL trigger from the flash buttons in my interface, but I'm encountering some users are getting these pages blocked by pop-up blockers and besides, it just isn't as elegant as keeping everything self-contained into one web page. I've interlinked all the 7 panos I've created to one another, so you can go from pano to pano and stay in full screen mode, which is pretty cool.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Arondale
thomas
Chief Gnome

Have you exported the panorama as Flash 8? You can not load Flash 9/AS3 into a Flash 8 project.
MfG, Thomas
arondale

Oh wow. Ok. I did not even know you could export to Flash 8. However, doing so is horrible. The Flash 9 export is soooooo much smoother, plus Flash 8 export limits my control skin and once my pano loads, it does not interact the same. It feels very "clunky". While I can launch a pano from an SWF this way, doing so requires I load the pano in to level 2 and a close button into level 3 on top of the pano. That way I can trigger a blank.swf file into level 2 to "pop" out the pano to reveal the flash interface again and move to an empty frame and stop in the close button (level 3). I've been working with flash for long enough to know this will work, but it appears that I need to convert my entire Flash CS3, AS2 project to a CS3, AS3 project, scene by scene.

I'm trying to transition from AS2 to AS3 now, but I don't like not being able to click on an object and change it's actions.

Are there any good resources online that have helped you guys with this. I'm finding tons of tutorials, but it would help a lot to have one of you "refer" me to an article or book that could really accelerate my learning of AS3. I'm mainly only using it for timeline stops, plays, mouseover actions, loading swf into levels, swap depths, and so on. Nothing fancy.

Arondale