problems with hotspots, margins and text boxes in O2VR3

Q&A about the latest versions
ScottWitte

More problems. Is it me or is it O2VR? What are the workarounds?

1) In HTML5 the text box doesn't display background or border and will not center text. Works fine in Flash. I really need a workaround?

2) If you use margins, the VR Object is masked by the margin but hotspots float right over it -- no masking. Looks bad. (See followup - next post)

3) In HTML5, if a hotspot template exists it will be used for any point hotspot with no skin ID. In Flash you get the bare point with no template unless you assign a template to the skin ID.

4) If you use margins to contain the VR object on the stage, when you go full screen in HTML5 the margin area turns black. In Flash it stays white. Really need a workaround to this. (See followup - next post)

Using the same skin for both.
ScottWitte

Came up with a couple workarounds:
2) If you use margins, the VR Object is masked by the margin but hotspots float right over it -- no masking. Looks bad.
4) If you use margins to contain the VR object on the stage, when you go full screen in HTML5 the margin area turns black. In Flash it stays white. Really need a workaround to this.
Workaround for both these problems was to place a white rectangle below everything except the hotspot template, same width as the margin, and extend it to some 1400 px height which I think will cover any screen height. Put hotspot at the bottom of the object tree. It slides under this background effectively masking it. The white rectangle covers the black band so controls and text again stand out.

Not a proper solution but it seems to work. Still really need a solution to #1 -- a working text box.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Scott,
Going through your list:
Please can you tell me which platform and OS you have.
I have tested on a Mac Book Pro with 10.9.3
1) In HTML5 the text box doesn't display background or border and will not center text. Works fine in Flash. I really need a workaround?
I have tested both the system text box and a text box in the skin on a hotspot template and I don't see any problems?
2) If you use margins, the VR Object is masked by the margin but hotspots float right over it -- no masking. Looks bad. (See followup - next post)
If you use margins the output should be restrained within the margin, so you should not get into the situation that a hotspot should full behind it?

Not saying there is no bugs, but do need to be able to reproduce them before I can bug track.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
ScottWitte

Yo Hopki,

Working on Win7x64. Testing on that and Mac OSX with multiple browsers on Windows but only Safari on Mac. Same result on all.

1) To expand the text box issue, you can define a system text box, put text into it and it will work as expected. But when you set the text using a button function then the background, border and centering disappear in HTML5 but remain in Flash. This is my most pressing issue since I haven't found a workaround.

2) Forgot to say that the hotspots I am talking about are hotspot templates attached to the VR Object.

As designed, the margin restrains the VR Object -- limits its display area. Other elements can exist within the margins, as in my example. Hotspot templates attached to the VR Object should be constrained the same as the object and only display where the VR object can display. They aren't. So they can slide into the margin even when the part of the VR object they are attached to is hidden by the margin.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Scott,
Thanks for the information, I can reproduce the text box bug, its funny we had this in Pano2VR and was fixed, but must have crept back in Object2VR, :(

Re the margins, I am confused, if you have hotspots within your object and have in within margins then the hotspots can not be outside of the object?
Can you make a simple project showing this and post it.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
ScottWitte

You can see this in action here.

Zoom in and you will see the template hotspot slip into the margin area.

Also, click full screen and you will see how the margin turns black.