Use case for Object2VR?

Q&A about the latest versions
ffurger

I am looking for a way to take "3D pictures" of large objects. By that I mean isolated buildings of relatively small size. (No sky scrapers).

I thought I could use 3D modelling software. However, after some preliminary tests I discovered that the results are of poor quality, the technical requirements (very powerful PC) costly and the software very expensive (3k-4k dollars per YEAR).

I am now considering using Object2VR. Instead of turning the object I would then have to walk around the building. I looked at the examples provided on the GardenGnome website, but these are limited mostly to small objects.

Has anyone used Object2VR in the way I have just proposed? Your experience and suggestions would be much appreciated!

Best,
Franco
Hopki
Gnome

HI Franco,
I would have thought the best way to do this is pull up Google map, then satellite view.
Zoom in so you can plot a circle around the building.

Then right button click, click "What's here" to get the GPS data.
You can then go out and using a GPS tracker move to each location. GPS is about 1 to 2 meters accurate so probably won't notice that much in the pictures.

The main problem is height so make sure you have plenty of ground and sky to crop later when levelling up.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
ffurger

Hi Hopki,

I must admit I don't really understand your suggestion using Google Maps.

So, I launch Google Maps, I zoom in on the object I am interested in, then option-click. That gives me some coordinates. Ok, so far so good. What are the geo data good for?

-Franco
ffurger

Oh wait, may be I get it:

are you saying I can determine the positions around the building where I should take the pictures by using Google Maps and the GPS?
ffurger

In other words, having the proper locations I could then use Object2VR to get a "3D picture" of a building?
Hopki
Gnome

Yep, take a picture from each location pointing to say the chimney as a reference point.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
ffurger

Thank you Hopki, I really appreciate it.

One last question: does it matter if the center chosen as a reference point (i.e. a chimney) for the object is not the geometrical center of that object? In the case of buildings the geometrical center may be hard to determine, let alone then figuring out what its coordinates are.

Best,
Franco
Hopki
Gnome

HI Franco,
What your trying to achieve is as the building rotates it does not wobble side to side, however If you have the Pro or Studio version of Object2VR you can dewobble later.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
ffurger

Ok, thank you very much for your feedback. I am going to test all this out soon.

Best,
Franco