HTML 5 on iPad Air issue

Q&A about the latest versions
marcbell

Hello,
I have several output files that play fine on desktop and Android tablet but don't work well on the iPad Air.
I've tried them on other browsers (Dolphin and Chrome) as well as the Safari browser.
Here's the strange part, after loading in Safari it won't play, but if you refresh the page then hit the stop loading
button it then will work fine.
Not sure if it's some setting on the iPad or something I'm doing when generating the output.
I don't think it's the file size as some will work with larger size while smaller one's wont.

This is the one the with the issue:

This one works fine:

Also, I'm running these files from Drop Box (copy public link) could this have something to do with it?
Any ideas?
Thank you very much!
Marc
Last edited by marcbell on Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhotoSpherix

I just tested it out on the beta of Chrome on a Mac. You have lots of files that are not loading, and playback was subpar. I also see that you have a space in the folder name, when the browser goes to get the file, it adds a 20% for the corrected url. I would start there. If that does not resolve some of the issues, get it out of dropbox.

Long and short, it seems to be more of a host issue.
PhotoSpherix
Starting a revolution in Photography
360 Product Photography
marcbell

PhotoSpherix wrote:I just tested it out on the beta of Chrome on a Mac. You have lots of files that are not loading, and playback was subpar. I also see that you have a space in the folder name, when the browser goes to get the file, it adds a 20% for the corrected url. I would start there. If that does not resolve some of the issues, get it out of dropbox.

Long and short, it seems to be more of a host issue.
That was it!
I was over looking the obvious, sloppy file names.
Not an issue with Drop Box either, after using proper file names all is well.
Thanks again!
Marc
marcbell

Hello all,
I'm still having a few small issues.
My object movies are working fine now on the iPad Air, but only with the Safari Browser.
They don't seem to want to work with the Chrome or Dolphin Browser.
If they are working everywhere else would this indicate an issue with the web browser?
I've tried deleting cache,etc. but still not working right.
Here's a clue, I created a manifest file for each movie file so in the Safari Browser they start working instantly.
In the other browsers they seem to be trying to download every time then will rotate, but very, very slow.
If I stop during the loading process they will work better, but all images are not loaded.
I know it's something simple I have over looked, but can't figure it out!
I really just want to know what's causing this for my own knowledge, as they are working fine with Safari.

Just looking over the documentation again, should I be making a manifest file at all for viewing on iPad device?
I see that it is to store on the device for offline viewing.

Okay, I deleted the cache manifest files and cleared all the local cache.
Now in safari when I refresh the page they won't play.
If I stop the refresh before fully reloaded they will play.
Gotta be something simple, I've looked at other object movies in the gallery and they all work fine.

Thanks in advance!
Marc
marcbell

Hello again,
I have created a new HTML 5 object output movie no manifest file or skin and it works just fine on Windows and Android.
When I open it on the iPad in Safari it loads and will spin while loading then will only work very slow one frame at a time after loading.
If I refresh, then stop the reload before complete it will then work fine.
Still trying to fine the solution as I know it's something simple.

Thanks again!
Marc
marcbell

marcbell wrote:Hello again,
I have created a new HTML 5 object output movie no manifest file or skin and it works just fine on Windows and Android.
When I open it on the iPad in Safari it loads and will spin while loading then will only work very slow one frame at a time after loading.
If I refresh, then stop the reload before complete it will then work fine.
Still trying to fine the solution as I know it's something simple.

Thanks again!
Marc
I still don't know what I'm doing wrong and was hoping someone would try this on their iPad to see if the same thing happens.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/867 ... /five.html

I'm still not sure if it's my output or something else.

Thanks,
Marc
PhotoSpherix

It seems to do the same thing on Chrome on a mac, Your playback is not good at all.

I did a little inspection and it seems that your 360 is 50 frames, and they are 960 x 600 and the total size is about 5.8 mb. You might try making one that has higher compressions to reduce the overall size. It is just a though. If you post up your source images, I might be able to run a test of the files on my end.
PhotoSpherix
360 Product Photography
marcbell

Great thank you.
Here are the original images.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86703783/images.zip

Thanks again for your help.
Marc
PhotoSpherix

Here is the link to my build. It looks to be acting much better.

http://zoom.photospherix.com/marcbell/marcbell.html

and the source and project is here

http://zoom.photospherix.com/marcbell.zip
PhotoSpherix
360 Product Photography
marcbell

Thank you very much!
It play just fine from your site, but when I put it in Drop Box it won't go on the iPad.
So...that would seem to indicate it's not going to work reliably on all platforms out of Drop Box.
Can you suggest a site or server service to put them?

Thanks again for your help!
Marc
marcbell

One more favor please,

Here is your build from Drop Box.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/867 ... cbell.html

If it won't play on your machine now it has to be something with Drop Box...right?
Any Ideas why this will play on Windows and Android tablet but not iPad or Mac? I know it's not a problem with the
machine because other animations in the gallery will play fine.
I'm new at all this and get a little confused sometime!

Thanks again!
Marc
PhotoSpherix

I had troubles with the version that I made, on my Nexus 7.

My feeling would be the overall size could be part of the trouble.
PhotoSpherix
360 Product Photography