Big objects

Q&A about the latest versions
Rajah

Hi,

In the just received "updated Getting Started tutorial" for ObjectVR you use a scooter as an object.
How is this big object done (or is it a miniature) and where all 12 pictures made free standing by hand ?

Frans
PhotoSpherix

With a big rotator, but a scooter isn't large by an stretch of the word :)

Large Object 360 Photography

You have 2 options.
1. move the object
2. move around the object.

I vote for number one when ever possible.
PhotoSpherix
Starting a revolution in Photography
360 Product Photography
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Move around the object, you can make a low cost Dolly, see example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBo9bMnG ... re=related
Just set it up to go around the object.
EDIT:
Also found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63PxC4i8 ... ure=fvwrel
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Rajah

Well, has to find out what is better: 1 or 2.
I think it depends on the subject.
Going to make some tests myself.
Thanks anyway!

Frans
360Texas

7 years ago we created an object CAR project.

AUTOMOBILE: We used a 100 foot (30m) electrical extension wire circling the vehicle. Then using clothes pin clips, we placed them 3 feet (1 m) intervals marking our tripod/camera.

SMALL AIRPLANE or Helicopter: Locate center mark on air plane. Use transparent fishing line... to mark off camera positions on circle outside wing tips/ tail
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
Rajah

Very good idea Dave!

Frans
lmphoto

I'm working on a project now that incorporated both methods that photospherix described and I totally agree that if you can get the object to spin as opposed to you moving around it, you will get better results in a fraction of the time and there will be much less postprocessing of the images. One thing to keep in mind is, if you're moving your camera around the object, you will need to make sure for each shot, you are focusing on the center point of the object and also keep the camera at a level height all the way around. Otherwise the image will be jumping all over the place as you rotate it. This isn't nearly as critical if you are rotating the object and it will easily double or triple the time it takes to shoot the images. The object I shot was about the size of a small box truck and I didn't have the resources to secure a turntable that big, so I had to go low tech. I layed out a circle in a parking lot by setting up a light stand at the center point where the object was going to sit and used a rope and a wheeled paint wand to get a perfect circle. Then I marked off 10 degree increments on the circle. Took me about 4 hrs in the blazing hot sun to shoot all the images, but it worked flawlessly. The second half of the project involved an object that was just as big, but it was designed to rotate on a fixed base, so I set it up just like you would shoot a small object on a turntable. The camera was in a fixed location and I had an assistant spin the object at 5 degree increments. Even though I shot twice as many images, it only took a fraction of the time and there was a minimal amount of postprocessing afterward.
PhotoSpherix

I finally had a chance to shoot a larger product. This is the first test of a new rotator that we are finalizing in the studio. We have used it many times on lighter items, but we have not published this size and weight of object.

As always, I am open to feedback.

360 view of a Mazda 3
PhotoSpherix
360 Product Photography
Hopki
Gnome

Very cool, 44 images?
Any reason for 44 and not say 36 or 50?
Just curious.
Have you managed to checkout HTML5 multi resolution yet.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
PhotoSpherix

The honest truth is that 44 is the divisible of a hammer handle and the edge of the table top. :D

and I have not even looked at the new version as of yet. Looking forward to it, but I have not had a chance.
PhotoSpherix
360 Product Photography