how do you take photos of the object

Q&A about the latest versions
dreamer

I am new to Object2VR. Looks like it doesn't need any stitch application like ptgui, all the photos can be input directly to Objct2VR. I tried taking photos (6) of my cup, then, I rotate my cup, take another, ...., After I input them to Object2VR, it only accept the first photo, the rest all become spared photos. I guess, the object must be put on some rotatable platform so that the object can be rotated around the center. Can anyone share some ideas how to take photos of the object to make it work on Object2VR?
Hopki
Gnome

Hi
It sounds like you have not told Object2VR how many columns.
If you have 10 pictures then you need to set for 10 columns. Otherwise you will get the spare image thing.
Hopki :)
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
dreamer

Actually, I did set columns:7, but after I load all 7 images, there is only 1 input image. I dragged 6 spared images to the input images, then created the flash. In the flash, I saw my object is not centered during the rotation. Mainly because I rotate my cup by hand and I take each photo with offset. What kind of equipiment I need to center the object during the rotation. Centering the object in each image in the post processing is tedious.
PhotoSpherix

You need some type of turntable to control the rotation of the object. This can range from a piece of paper with a center point printed on it to a turntable able to hold hundreds/thousands of lbs and stops at a desired degree from the beginning.

This might start you in the correct direction.
http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/vi ... able#p8723
PhotoSpherix
Starting a revolution in Photography
360 Product Photography
mike.a

New to this forum as well. But may be able to assist.

We run a high production website and we shoot about 30-50 products a day with about 20 products in VR. Actually we just started doing the VR but have been shooting regular hi-key photography for many years. I'll explain only hi-key photography because it's a lot harder to do than low-key photography in high production. Once you can get the camera setup with lighting its actually a lot easier than low-key photography. Our team is down to 1% photoshop time with 20vr images processed in about 5 mins if not faster. Some items are strait out of Aperture 3 without photoshop needed. Our imaging is shadowless because it works for us. If you want shadows/reflections your going to lose out on production time. Here's how we shoot.

View image to see layout.
Pamco turntable 40 lbs.
3/8 clear plexiglass riser stand - new riser being built for better workflow.
Translucent white plexiglass table. Back background is a sheet of translucent white plexiglass.
5 alien bees 800 strobes with soft boxes.
Must see light meter.

2 strobes used to light background white plexiglass. 1 strobe to light white plexiglass table. 2 strobes 45° to light product. You will need background strobes to be 1.5 - 2 stops higher than front lights. The key is to have background blowout the plexiglass riser stand without blowing out the product. This is going to take some time to grasp from figuaring out the light ratios and product placement. We shoot about iso 100 f16 on certain products about f22 on some because of DOF. Must shoot in raw due to high dynamic ratio. If you don't, you lose a lot of detail in edges of the product. Everything imported into aperture 3 (can use lightroom) and adjust for levels, sharpen and crop. We will go into photoshop to do some cleanup work if needed buts its about 20 products out of 50 that needs photoshoping.

Hope this helps, basic method for hi-key product photography. We use different methods of this concept but depends on the product.

Mike
Attachments
basic table top explained
basic table top explained
_DS15090.jpg (19.95 KiB) Viewed 5566 times
product image straight out of aperture.
product image straight out of aperture.
_DS15045.jpg (22.29 KiB) Viewed 5566 times
slenderlittleone

hi thanks for advice
progres

dreamer wrote: it only accept the first photo, the rest all become spared photos.
same experience here - under windows 7 home prem 64.

then suddenly everything works ok - without any modifications ! Bugsy ?