Interested but...

Q&A about the latest versions
visual360media

Hi all.

I have been interested in creating object movies since owning Pano2QTVR a year or so ago but never got around
to creating any. Now this new version is out, and it outputs in Flash I may have ago and buy this software. I own
Pano2vr and am very happy with it. I have a couple of questions though and they are general questions really.
How many images are recommended to create the object movie? and what size then would each image be?
(i.e. what size do you set in your cameras settings or do you take at max then resize on your pc?)
Do you buy a table to rotate the object or are any of you using a home made one, and can you comment on your
experiences of the type you prefer.
What is the idea of the light table rows in the software? I see you use one row for one object,
so is the other row for another angle? If so how are the other images taken?

Thanks for all replies,

John G.
Kind regards,

John Goulding
360Texas

I made a rough object model for Agno's Mrotator RingT. http://360texas.com/services/software/agnos/index.htm

For lightweight objects

Local Hardware store [Homedepot or Lowes]
1 24" diameter piece of plywood $ 2.00
1 10" diamter 'Lazy Susan' metal ball bearing race plates for rotating plywood deck $5.00

Found the center of the round plywood deck
Put tape measure around the edge and find length of the circle and divide by 36. Marked on the plywood edge 36 marks.
36 because marks will be every 10 degrees. Also with this many marks, you can also take smaller increments if you want like 4 images at 90 degrees or 8 images at 45 degrees. 360/4 = 90 etc

Set object in mid center of plywood deck. (like lens bracket RingT).

Work flow observations
1. Finished object model file size should be suitable for reasonably fast download.
2. More images (like 36 pic's) will make the final file size very large ( like +5mb ) not suitable for slow 384 kbps download speed. OK for DVD or CD-r. Result is very smooth rotation

3. Fewer images (like 4 pic's) smaller final file size fast download speed but rotation will be choppy. (RingT is 8 images)

4. IF you take the image series FULL camera resolution (Canon 5d 12mega pixel) 8 images x 12mb = 96 mb final file size and choppy rotation.
5. Image set should be dimensioned reasonably small like 240w x 360h pixels) you can get a reasonably fast download and yes with 8 images rotation is choppy.
6. What to do with the background? Use a cloth drape.
7. Lighting 1 lamp left and right of object. 1 lamp pointed down to help remove the shadowing affect.

8. Set up camera very close to the plywood deck. My camera lens was about 18" from object. My camera is in portrait orientation - Image long side up.
Frame the object. Rotate around several times to make sure the object is centered and inside the camera view finder.

Use pieces of tape on the plywood deck edge to mark the disired image stop points. Yes I did get confused ? did I take that spot or not ? Nice thing it digital you can erase all and start over.

Use the trial version of Thomas's Object2VR program post your results on your web site so we can see the results please.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
visual360media

OK, thanks Texas, will set about making a table within the next couple of weeks.
Will prob start with small lazy susan one 1st and see how i get on.
Cheers, John.
Kind regards,

John Goulding
thomas
Chief Gnome

MfG, Thomas
visual360media

Thanks, looks good.
Kind regards,

John Goulding
visual360media

Ok, have bought it and ordered 'lazy susan bearings (yes, they are sold seperately so i have found thru searching google),
so will soon be making my own turntable.
The bearings I found are here,
http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p42341 ... _info.html.#
Not the cheapest I could find but they accepted paypal which i was after, and they can take a bit of weight.
(A lot in the USA on internet and ebay were cheaper, but afraid i am in UK! ).

Just wondered if anyone had a any test images I could use to play with software while i waited.
(dont worry if not as i will soon have the table made)

Any hints and tips to get me going? Image sizes, quantity, window size, interpolator etc would be helpful, thanks,

John G.
Kind regards,

John Goulding
360Texas

John, sent you an email ... send a reply to me and I have a zip file ready for you.
Original images were 2 - 3mb each 2112 x 3168 pixels

I used Thomas's Kiss MyImage to batch my images down to thumbnails size of 240 x 360.

Contents
13 files, each 240 x 360 20 to 23kb each total 277kb +320kb in flash overhead code creates a 597kb output flash .swf

I have a double image (the 2nd image has Agno's face ghosted on the lens)
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
visual360media

Cheers, have replied and look forward to them,
but what does this mean?

have a double image (the 2nd image has Agno's face ghosted on the lens)

Double image ?

Look forward to using this software, thanks.

John G.
Kind regards,

John Goulding
visual360media

Hi Tex,
I got the files, cheers. Look great and very easy to use, not sure i will bother
posting as looks same as yours!
Bearings came this morning so hope to make table and have something up
for you to see this weekend, prob late Sunday.

One thing for Thomas, I noticed that when you go into the software and use flash 9
option, then skin/controller, if you browse to file it goes all weird (not sure of techy term!)
but you can choose the same file from drop down box without a problem. Its beta though so
guess you are on the case. Thanks for a great product.

John G.
Kind regards,

John Goulding
360Texas

You asked about the 2nd same angle image. Its to provide some type of action other than just rotating around.

Different point of view Example. Rotating around a car with to engine lid, doors, boot, opening and closing.

Park your car in an open area like a shopping mall lot.

Using 2 50' long electrical cords make a circle on the ground around the car = 100 foot circle

Use 50 cloths line clips to mark off camera positions every 2 feet on the electrical cords.

Set the camera/tripod up at the front of the car.

Position 1 take
1 picture with the engine lid closed
1 picture with engine lid 50% open
1 picture engine lid 100% open
Duplicate engine 50% closed
Duplicate engine closed

Moving to the right around the circle...
approach the door closed
door 50% open
door 100% open
Dup the 50% door closed
dup the 100% door closed

Do same for trunk or England Boot

Moving around to the right continue around to the driver side (England).. do same door open closed

When you are finished with your imaging resize all image down to the thumbnail size

Assemble all

Now play.. you will see the car rotating, engine lid, door open, boot, drivers door and back to the front of the car.

This process creates a little bit of action when compared to "standard rotate the car"

by all means.. have fun doing this.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
visual360media

Ha, great, thanks. Yes i have seen sphereworks stuff and it does make the objects more
interesting and more informative...Am looking forward to having a go, and will post some
results soon.
Thanks again.
John G.
Kind regards,

John Goulding
hum@no.id

Gumir J | VR Panoramic Photographer | mobile: +77055717171 | skype: gumirj
website: gumirj.com | google.com/+gumirj | facebook.com/gumirj | twitter.com/gumirj
visual360media

Yes, but they cost a little a bit more than my home made one :D
Kind regards,

John Goulding