Cardboard with object2VR: is possible?

Q&A about the latest versions
GIOLETS

I wonder how is possible to realize a Vr object stereo vision for an HMD like Google cardboard or Oculus device.

Could someone give me some ideas?

Thanks.

Luca
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Luca,
Not yet, but on the wish list.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
PhotoSpherix

I have played with this idea a few times over the years. If you shoot a table top item, and have 5 degrees between the shots, you can use the odd shots for the left eye and the even shots for the right eye. Not if you shoot at a little over 10 degrees between shots, you can use the first shot for the right eye, the second for the left and then when rotating right, move the right eye to the left eye and add a new shot on the right. It is not perfect, but you have a 3d 360 with only 40 images.

I had a player a long time ago that I had this functionality in. I made it into a split screen, and it just showed to vr;s next to each other and they were linked. One master and one slave.

Long and short. At the time I could either cross eye at it, or they needed to be red green split. The output was less than desirable, but with the new vr heads up displays, it could be a great thing to see.
PhotoSpherix
Starting a revolution in Photography
360 Product Photography
Hopki
Gnome

Im thinking walking around the object with the gyro 8)
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
PhotoSpherix

See my thoughts are on the depth of field, really 3d
PhotoSpherix
360 Product Photography
360Texas

Since we are in process of acquiring a Gear VR you must be using the Cardboard.

To VIEW the output using Cardboard, would you place the object project (or panorama project) :
in your smartphone memory card and use FoxFire and browse using My files and folders to play at your project ?
or use Gear VR or Cardboard +smartphone WI-FI to get to your website ?

Brainstorming above work flow questions in near future USING Gear VR ? Onboard G 7s memory card or some how use its Wi -Fi to connect to Router internet.

Still trying to figure out how to use Gear VR to break out and jump on internet. Maybe we need use Gear VR & Gear VR store to download Samsungs Web browser.

After reading the Gear VR User Manual.. appears they suggest 100% charge phone AND make sure your Phone is Wi - Fi connected to your Wi - Fi router before using Gear VR. Also there is discussion about additional Gear VR UPDATE download from your service provider.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
BrownewellPhoto

I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately.

Has anyone tried setting up stereoscopic cameras, combining the images side by side, and churning it out in that manner? A full screen output properly masked in photoshop (simple action) should be able to pump these out with no issue. To get around the two camera issue, you could just mount one on a rail and slide it back and forth.
Pat Brownewell
Brownewell Photography
http://www.360ProductPhotographer.com
PhotoSpherix

I have in the past and found that using the two frames did the same thing.

PhotoSpherix
360 Product Photography
PhotoSpherix

Here is a full 360 with the same process. Anyone that has red-blue glasses can take a look.

Red-blue 3d 360 view
PhotoSpherix
360 Product Photography
GIOLETS

Here there are many client request to see their machinery or products through Cardboard or VR Gear.
I think the problem is not how to release a stereo vision (side-by-side or green-blu) but how to give to user the right feeling to "watch around" the object...
Any thoughts, ideas..?
Hopky, when do you plan to give us to play with?

Thanks to all!

Luca
Hopki
Gnome

HI Luca,
I can't give any time frames as yet as I don't have the development plan for Object2VR.
I think the main thing to look at will be do you use the gyro, does it make sense to walk around an object or do you just turn around and in doing so the object turns? None of which makes any real sense.
Im sure this is open to debate and this will be visited a few times.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
PhotoSpherix

The issue that we have had with a single point 360 that is displayed in the vr headgear, (and remember that the user interface still has to be a mouse) is that it is FLAT and does not show the depth of the object in the rotation. That is why we stared working towards the true 3d view first. I have faith that the viewer will be there when we need it.

The best example that I can give you is a video in the head gear is great because it is a great big screen, but a real 3d movie is "off the shelf" great because you are really there.
PhotoSpherix
360 Product Photography
GIOLETS

Hopky, I see your point.
Also is my opinion that for an interior rendering seeing through a Vr Gear give a great sensation to the user, that really could feel the real space around him.
We have realized many stereo 360 interior rendering with great feedback from our customers.

Different thing is a Product visualization where feel the depth in a stereo view is perhaps not so important.
But clients ask this kind of visualizations (too many Samsung advertising spots I suppose...), and, from their point of view, they are some good reason to ask that:
imagine as a first 360° scene where the user is in a central position and all around see the products, or the machines to visualize.
Seeing in a center of each one he could choose wich one to explore...
In the next scene we can show the VR 360° rotation of the object and the user can watch around the object moving his head and having an immersive experience.
Good idea to use the Gyro... could we try to use it already???

If not can you provide a very beta version where we can test (or I can give you some mine stereo images)?

Thanks again.

Luca