multiresolution file size

Q&A about the latest versions
linkaran17

Hi all
I am doing some tests for a future project.
before shooting the photo's I am sketching the situation and different object states whith a 3D simulation.
That will give me the opportunity to experiment with different viewpoints and resolutions.

Of course I want too obtain a multi resolution object movie so one can zoom into details.

I started with rendering images with a resolution of 5632x3584, close to my cameras max image resolution and a factor of 512 px with tiling in mind.
When generating the multi resolution levels automagically, I assumed all resolutions would be a factor of 512px (512, 1024, 1536 and so on.)
However the multiuser levels are not quite representative with the 512 factor) ??? (see screen shot)
multires levels.jpg
multires levels.jpg (170.63 KiB) Viewed 5459 times
When generating the actual movie it does not zoom smoothly like the zoom in the examples on the website.
the rocket example zooms very smooth and shows a lot of detail.How to achieve that?
Possibly more zoom levels ? That will increase generating time and file size dramatically.
My movie total project file is 1.4 gig big when I choose for best image detail...
The example movies on the website (lego and rocket) go smooth and have a lot of zoom detail

how to do that without ending up with monstrous projectfiles?
any suggestion is welcome.

here's my first attempt, I had to strip off the highest resolution level and lower the jpg quality to be able to publish the movie on my WP site
http://www.imageplant.nl/testpanos/

(yes i use the trail version but trying is what I do, when it works fine I will buy it for sure ;)
regards,
Johnk
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Object2VR divides each multi resolution level by 2, so as your image is 5632, then you get the levels you have.
All you need to do is make sure the level tile size is set to the same as your lowest level, so set it to 352.

As far as zoom not being smooth, it looks ok on my computer?
However if you have odd sized tiles you may be expericing the slowdown as the player is fetching tiles from the server as you zoom in. With setting the multi resolution levels correctly you may find this will help.

As far as large project size, well the higher the resolution the larger the file size, may be start with 4096 then 2048, 1024 then 512. Set the level tile size to 512.
Even 4096 will give good image quality.
Also make sure you set the zoom level so you don't go past the best resolution of the image.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
linkaran17

Thanx martin ! this very useful information for me.
I'l try again building it with the right tile size.

BTW
I noticed obj2vr can crash easily when working with large numbers of images and large image size.
Rebuilding the lightable index every now and then will prevent crashing the prog.

Do you also noticed glitching frames in my example?
I used 15 rows for lifting up the beam.
When manually skipping through the rows in the movie I see some glitching frames after row 11
Obviously this will be gone when choosing the proper tile size ?

Above all I do have a lot of fun with obj2vr and my prospect was enthousiast. Good chance they will let me 360 photograph their flagship...
Hopki
Gnome

Hi John,
I see the glitches, What sizes ate your input images?
I have thrown lots of images at Object2VR, 5472 x 3648px each which is what my 6D can produce and all is good.

There is a limit on input image size, tested with 9200 x 10787 which was ok but 9300 x 10904 caused a problem.
This is in the bug tracker as there should not be any limit but that said lets not us forget what Object2VR is.

Here is a 50 image project using the files from my 6D.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
linkaran17

Input size of the images is 5632 x 3584. resolution based on 512 tiling horizontal and vertical.

Of course the final movie does not need the full res. 2048 px will be enough for most applications.
However capturing the sky worker at its highest cradle reach (57 meter from the ground) preserving detail in the image demands shooting in the highest res possible.
higher res will also be handy when accurate detaching the sky worker from its background.
max resolution 9200 x 10787 does mean I can shoot the images of the sky worker with a 60 mp hasselblad to obtain detailed images.

Reducing file size of the object movies is another concern. Therefore I did some testing with png and transparency.
I rendered the images as .tiff with an alpha channel at 5632x3584 px. I then made an action in photoshop to save them as 4096 px wide transparant png files.
These files were then dropped in the light table.

I made two versions, Multi res and no multi res. both generated with the "use png" option selected
In the output settings dialog I first selected "background visible" with color white. This resulted in a black background so I assume the png transparency is not used.
Then I output the movie with background visibility checked on. Now my movie is transparent!
I tried to replicate this but it seems object 2vr keeps "things" somewhere in memory causing strange and inconsequent behavior.
I noticed it is wise to refresh the project by starting up again, populate the fightable and output the files.
when switching too much with the settings, object2vr can make a mess of the output.
About the file size: the transparent version is 28 mb and the multi resolution 70 mb when deleting the multiresolution layers and generating new out put the file size is still 70 mb?

all the way trying there is a constant factor:
The movie with multiresolution levels shows no transparency i.e. the background is black, no matter the background visibility option is selected or unselected

the movie with multi resolution has the glitching frames..
I tried to replicate the clitching by using the up, down left and richt buttons in the nabber
but it seems to appear ad random and mostly when skipping through the last 5 rows when the beam is at its high altitude.

see the examples here:
http://www.imageplant.nl/testpanos/
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
See Issue #772
The glitchy images are they png's as well?
Maybe you can upload your complete project so I can download and have a look?
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
linkaran17

indeed, all png..

i'll send a wetransfer to support at gnomes with projectfiles and png's.