Implementing tooltips on mobile devices

Special forum to share and discuss skins for Pano2VR and Object2VR
ffurger

Hi:

I really like the ability to move over an marked area and have a tooltip provide some information.

However, I am having a hard time implementing this on an iPad. In Safari for iOS there is no :hover gesture, and pano2VR doesn't support mobile gestures such as swipe.

How do you guys have dealt with this issue? I could resort to tapping or pressing of course, but ... these solutions are not quite as attractive.

Best,
Franco
360Texas

I think you will find that Pao2VR does support hand gestures like tap, pinch zoom in/out and two finger rotate.

At least they work on my Dell PC 2720 27" touch screen without the gyroscope option. I have also tried this on our Apple iPad3 and on our Samsung GS4 Jelly bean 4.4 O/s
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
ffurger

Indeed, I did find that, too. But to implement tooltips you would need some kind of swipe, wouldn't you?
360Texas

Agree that even with Android "hover" does not function as expected. However I find on my smartphone when I set the button icon with a two step process the tool tip text box is displays followed quickly with the action needed.

example:
on mouseover like hover [finger touch screen button]
displays (show text) TEXT the tool tip momentarily displays the text box.
Continue to touch the screen button is equal to 'select' which then performs the action.

On the examples I have on our site... the tool tip text box is too close and below to the button to see it as it is under the finger end tip. Possible solution would be to have the text box larger text and positioned above the button.

I think the pano2vr skin has a 3 function button. Hover, display text, select.

I do not have pano2vr installed on this netbook so I can not immediately go look at the skin button functions.

On some devices are too touch sensitive. Like holding your finger tip 1/4" above the screen actually selects the button. Needless to say, I returned the HTC smartphone for a Samsung GS4.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
The Mouse Enter and Leave source actions work on the iPad. The only problem is if you tap on a button/hotspot then slide your finder off rather then lifting your finger off then you don't generate a mouse leave.

You can test this with using the simplex skin and using the hotspot with tooltip.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
ffurger

Ok,thank you.

I was just going through the Apple dev docs on handling events in Safari iOS. In principle, one could also rely on "PreventDefault" to implement the traditional tooltip behaviour. I don't have the time to try this out just now, but I'll get back to you later and let you know.

See

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios ... 006511-SW7