Slow loading time

Special forum to share and discuss skins for Pano2VR and Object2VR
Peter Stephens

Hi,

I'm working on a skin at the moment and have noticed the skin and sometimes the pano loading slowly. I have created the skin images in a separate folder (..\..\..\graphics) as it's quite a large tour, haven't done this before and wandering if that had anything to do with it? Also this is the first time I've created anything with Pano2VR v4.5, before I was using v3 so could be something else.

Any ideas ?

Here is the project I'm working on http://www.peterstephens.co.uk/virtual_ ... ernal.html

(please note I have much work to do on it yet)

Many Thanks,

Peter
Peter Stephens

I've just put more graphics into it and it's even slower to load the skin, never had this problem before. At this point I have 187 PNG graphics totalling at 323KB in size.

I must say though, the skin editor is a pleasure to work with - better than before ! Though frustratingly it won't let me manually enter width and height figures, and if I click the button to nudge an item a pixel x or y it only allows one click. I can only move items by hand in the editor window.

Peter
Peter Stephens

I've created another image this time not making the skin external and it is a lot faster, here's the link:

http://www.peterstephens.co.uk/virtual_ ... ernal.html

Any idea why this is happening?

Pete
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Pete,
I guess the first question is have you tried 4.1 which is the stable release?
And does it make any difference?

Ill start with the top and bottom borders, you need to make them much wider, I normally use 5000px to be on the safe side, when going fullscreen on my 2560 x 1440 monitor they don't quite reach the right side of the screen.

The link from your first post does load very slow, too slow. Have you tried not using some many levels in your file structure? Must admit this is something I would not do.
That said it should not make a difference, but try it.

Re the skin, the elements in the menu, are these graphics/image files? if so why not make them from the rectangle tool.
Can you tell me more about not being able to dial in width and height in the properties for an element, this works for me using 4.5 beta 1 and the new skin editor.
I take it you have expanded the Properties, Position Menu? here you see the ID Position and size of the element.

Your last link where all the elements are in the SWF did load quicker, I guess its because its one file, so less server requests to fetch files which will slow things down a tad.

Humm Now I have opened it once and cleared my cache the first link still open much faster now. You changed anything?
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Peter Stephens

Hello Hopki,

Thank you for having a look.

No I've not tried 4.1 yet. Thanks for reminding me about the boarders, haven't used them for some time and forgot about that. They where set at 2500

The file structure is setup with the three Residences at the top, then the different Halls and then the location names - which open the associated 360vr image. The tour will require updating from time to time and this I thought was the simplest way to organise the files. Perhaps this is the issue with the loading speed? I'm assuming the main benefit of storing the graphics in one folder rather than many duplicate ones is to save space? I don't think this will be an issue so I will continue with the way that works for now.

Yes the graphics are mostly PNG files, as they all have text on thought this would be the best way to do it?

I've just checked the first link again, took around 10 seconds to open properly. The navigation graphics opened up straight away, it's all the others including the pano which took the time. I dono, the other way is fine.

Regarding dialling in numbers I've just tried it again with the boarders when I changed the width of them. I can change the size no problem, it's the position that is the issue. Without filming what I'm doing it's hard to explain. y: is currently set to 433, if I try to change the number using the arrows either up or down it goes to 440 in one click and freezes. Though I can still use the skin editor. If I highlight the number and try to type in a new one it does odd things, pressing 1,2,3 and 4 will set it a 0. 5 sets the figure at 11 with the courser in the middle allowing me to press it a couple more times to give the number 1551. Same with number 6 giving 1661. 7 is odd lol as first I get 11, then 176 and then 1782 all from just pressing 7. 8 gives me 1892, 9 gives 1903 and 0 is fine, it likes that digit and lets me put is as many as I like.

Another thing I've noticed is when resizing a box in the editor window the whole box jumps a number of pixels diagonally after, again a little frustrating.

Cheers,

Pete
Peter Stephens

It would be nice in the skin editor to be able to load a graphic related to the pano that is currently running, for example the name of the current pano running. Currently when a location is clicked on this triggers a name in the top left of the skin to show, but hides the others. This isn't too bad as there are 14 different locations, so 1 show element and 13 hide elements. The idea was to have a graphic showing the name of the image location too, there are 48 at the moment plus more to come in the future.

I can't find any other way of doing this, hopefully you will be able to show me a more simple way of doing this. :)

Pete
Hopki
Gnome

1 show element and 13 hide elements
Have a look at this tip: https://ggnome.com/wiki/Using_regular_e ... e_elements

you can show and hide many elements with just two actions.
Will have a better look at your post later, dinner time soon :wink:
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
Peter Stephens

Cool, thanks. Having a look now.

Pete
Peter Stephens

Ok the problem I might have with that is I have quite long file names, rather than numbers like in the example.

I've attached a screen shot of what I'm looking at, how could I use this method with the file names that I have created? I've named the elements a, b & c for the 3 different main headings, then numbers for each of the subcategory's and images plus the name. ie: a_01_01_external__o.png or b_08_04_standard_kitchen_living_area.png

Pete
Attachments
skin-screen-capture-01.jpg
skin-screen-capture-01.jpg (853.28 KiB) Viewed 8126 times
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Pete,
When dealing with regulars expressions you do need to think about naming conventions to make life easier.
Perhaps not something you can impediment in this project but in future you can use a diffrent naming convention.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
Peter Stephens

Tricky as there are so many images, I need a visual reference rather than a code. I suppose I'm going along the right lines with a_01_01_external__o.png and b_08_04_standard_kitchen_living_area.png but would work better without the name ie: a_01_01.png or b_08_04.png Though I would probably get confused quickly :-) oh well.

Is there a way to link a graphic to the pano that is currently running? ie a graphic showing the name of the current pano? This would make life a lot easier.

Pete
Hopki
Gnome

HI Pete,
Use tags, you can tag each pano, then a node marker can be set to show and hide elements when that node is active.
Please see: https://ggnome.com/wiki/Using_Node_Markers_(Pano2VR)
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
Peter Stephens

Awesome !! Trying it out now, thank you.

Pete
Peter Stephens

Ok this all makes sense, but I'm having trouble getting it to work.

I tag the image like this:

But the tag doesn't show in the node marker properties, and when I type it in manually it disappears.

Any ideas? I'm doing something wrong.

Another question, is there a way to have an action to open the next pano which will link to both the .swf and .xml without creating two skins as I usually do?

Many thanks,

Peter
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Pete,
You need to type in the tag, only nodes when using Pro will show in the drop down box.
Pano2VR internally converts SWF to XML so you only need to target the SWF as long as the SWF and XML have the same file name.
Example
pano_one.swf and pano_one.xml.
This is also the same for the hotspot editor, you just enter the SWF version and the XML is picked up automatically.

Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com