Need some help for Skin Editor Mac OSX

Special forum to share and discuss skins for Pano2VR and Object2VR
Wim.Koornneef

Hello Forum,

I hope you can help me.
After downloading a skin file (.ggsk) from this Forum I get a folder on my desktop with a bunch of image files (.png) and a single skin.xml file.

This is the problem I encounter:
I can't load the downloaded xml file into the Skin Editor,
I can't drag and drop the images to the Tree or the Editor window,
I can't import the images from the Menu because all options in the "File" and "Image" tab are grey so they are not available,
(I tried to access the Menu with an unlocked copy of an existing skin file and I tried it with an empty skin).

Because I didn't read anything in the release info about differences of the Skin Editor between the Pano2VR Windows and the Mac OSX versions (perhaps they are stated but then I missed them :-( I may assume that the Skin Editor in Mac OSX must functioning well.

Can you help me on track?

Best,
Wim

PS, I am running the last beta and I tried it on OSX 10.4.11(G5) and OSX 10.5.1(Intel)
thomas
Chief Gnome

Ohhh.... this is a stupid behavior of Safari. Just because .ggsk files have a ZIP header Safari extracts them without even asking. It took some hacking (for almost 2hrs with a Mac expert), but now I managed to avoid this. If you now download a .ggsk from the forum it should stay a .ggsk file and after a double click Pano2VR should open up and you can use the skin editor.
MfG, Thomas
Wim.Koornneef

Yes !!

I now get real .ggsk files and editing is now a piece of cake.
Within a couple of minutes I changed the default video controller in my Gornergrat timelapse by a modified extended one (removed the full screen button) and it is functioning very fine.
Thanks a lot Thomas.

Best,

Wim.
Svendus

thomas wrote:Ohhh.... this is a stupid behavior of Safari. Just because .ggsk files have a ZIP header Safari extracts them without even asking. It took some hacking (for almost 2hrs with a Mac expert), but now I managed to avoid this. If you now download a .ggsk from the forum it should stay a .ggsk file and after a double click Pano2VR should open up and you can use the skin editor.
That problem is actually solved in Safari Version 3.0.4 in Mac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.1
The skin folder lies at:/Users/YOUR USERNAME/Library/ Application Support/GardenGnomeSoftware
Leopard Downloaded files
Leopard Downloaded files
bild.jpg (27.6 KiB) Viewed 8812 times
Last edited by Svendus on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
ericob

So I take it that a .ggsk file is "really" a directory, containing the xml and png files, compressed in zip format but with the extension changed. Right?

For my education, what did you (Thomas) need to change to get Safari to leave it as-is?
thomas
Chief Gnome

ericob wrote:So I take it that a .ggsk file is "really" a directory, containing the xml and png files, compressed in zip format but with the extension changed. Right?
Exactly. You can have a look at it. The XML format should be easy to understand. You can also create your own skins this way (the images can be tiff, jpeg or png). Just pack the bunch of files into a ZIP and rename it to .ggsk. For the moment you can not use subdirectories in the ZIP file.
For my education, what did you (Thomas) need to change to get Safari to leave it as-is?
Finally the solution was to send a different mime type that is unknown to Safari, in my case application/x-pano2vr:skin. If you send the file as application/octet-stream Safari tries to be smart and extracted the content of the file. What took me some time to find out was that phpBB3 (this forum software) uses it's own mime type system and ignores Apache mime-types so I needed to find and hack the right PHP script to change the type for .ggsk files.
MfG, Thomas
ericob

Thanks for the info Thomas. And... "Oh my goodness." :|