GoTo URL in a new popup window - possible?

Special forum to share and discuss skins for Pano2VR and Object2VR
Andrew H

Hello

I would like to be able to click on a button in my Pano2VR skin and have it open a new html page in a pop-up browser window of a pre-defined size, along the lines of what is possible in Javascript with, say - "window.open(\'../help.html\',\'window\',\'width=480,height=560,toolbar=no,location=no,scrollbars=no,resizable=no\');return false"

My knowledge and experience doesn't stretch as far as this, :( so could some kind reader tell me if this is possible and if so point me in the right direction, please?

Regards
Andrew
smooth

To get you started you can open a new window with Target: _blank

Regards, Smooth 8)
DemonDuck

That kind of browser window is called chromeless. Google for it and you should find a bunch of information. Please post what you find out.
Andrew H

Thanks, Smooth
Yes I had tried Target: _blank, and that works OK, but it opens a new window or a new tab, depending on how the browser's preferences are set. I need to open a new window of a specified size. I can open such a window from an html page with javascript, but I can't see how to do so from a Pano2VR skin. As I say, my skills in this area are currently very limited.

Thanks, DemonDuck
Actually, reading up on it indicates that chromeless windows are generally frowned upon and associated with unwanted ads and phishing, so I would be happy to omit the "location=no" argument and have a location bar and the usual close, maximise/minimise buttons. But I don't know how to get to the point of having the option to do that.

I have hunted around, but I am yet to find an example of a panorama that does what I am after, so maybe it is not possible? Any help on this would be most gratefully appreciated.

Regards
Andrew
DemonDuck

There is a way to use Javascript as a URL. For example:
javascript:window.open("<your local file>","welcome","width=300,height=200");

Copy that into the address bar on your browser. Replace <your local file> with an html page on your computer.

It opens that page in a 300x200 window.

But it doesn't work if you paste that into the URL of the hotspot. If you could put a javascript snippet into the URL of a hotspot, that would be really useful.
Andrew H

Thanks, DemonDuck

I have just tried your suggestion, and pasting your instruction into the browser address bar produces exactly what I want - shame it can't be done from Pano2VR.

Any chance of implementing this in a future version, Thomas, or is it a limitation of Flash?

Regards
Andrew
dp.math

hi all.

Please give a look to this vtour

http://www.lecce360.com/vtour/Basilica_Sant_Irene/

and click non the "i" icon

Is what are you looking for?

Mimmo
jeroen

Hi Mimmo,

I think your solution is great EXCEPT for the extra popup and all warning messages :(

BTW there are 2 i’s on your screen that’s why I first did not react on your message; we should press white on blue I; not the gray one..

I made some screen dumps to show you what happened if i use IE8; I did not test it with other browsers.

First when I click the (white/blue) i; I get a fresh IE screen with a pop-up window; I use a localized version of windows (Dutch) so I try to translate the messages;
After clicking I get a new window with a pop-screen
After clicking I get a new window with a pop-screen
3.jpg (60.09 KiB) Viewed 14438 times
The popup windows is saying: The webpage you are looking is trying to close a window; Do you want to close this window? Yes / No

In the yellow bar I see message:
A popup is blocked; click here to show the popup or to change options.

Only after saying no to the question; clicking on the yellow bar and adding permission, looking at a third warning (same as first) I can see the desired information.

So I like the end result; but I’m afraid only a small part of the visitors are seeing it...
Jeroen / Amersfoort / The Netherlands
Hopki
Gnome

Hi
I am working on this, Link

This opens a panorama with four chromless windows.

1st on the left hand sign post, point hotspot opens a video.
2nd on the road, point hotspot open a html page with a scroll bar.
3rd on the right sign post an area hotspot open a video
4th button in the skin opens a video

The problem at the moment is I can set resize, yes and no, and scroll bars, yes and no, but this only really works in IE, Google chrome and the other web browsers the window is still resizable regardless of settings. :x

The project continues……. :roll:
Hopki :)

Edit:
Just added a NN3 Video
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
smooth

You opening a full page to auto open a pop-up, closing the pop-up also closes the parent window.
Not very elegant. but I see what you are doing. I have covered all this with Tourweaver years ago, but this was before "other" browsers became popular and before "tabs".
I'll be waiting for Thomas to add HTML page support to Pano2VR.

Good luck Hopki! :D

Regards, Smooth 8)
Hopki
Gnome

Hi
I am opening the pop-up window from a function call from within the swf.
The function call specifies, html page to open, its size, will it be resizable and if scrollbars are needed. This means that each link in the panorama can open each pop-up with its own properties.

OK there are compatibility issues with some of the browsers.

Pop up window size: All seem to work ok.

Scrollbars: All seem to work ok.

Resizable: only IE seems to work properly, all other browsers, the window can be resized regardless of setting. To this end I don’t think I can overcome this resize issue.

However I think the desired effect has been reached, to open a chromless window from a button within the panorama.
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
smooth

Hopki wrote:However I think the desired effect has been reached, to open a chromless window from a button within the panorama.
So long as you don't mind that you can no longer see the panorama.
It's not a case of a sized chromeless window sitting neatly on top of a full screen panorama.

Regards, Smooth 8)
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Smooth
What are you seeing???
I open the panorama, and clicking on the hotspots opens the chromless windows the size I want.

Of course if you go flash full screen, clicking on the hotspot resets back to normal view and the pop up is then displayed, again a small window on top of the panorama.

I have tested this in IE, Fire Fox, Safari, Google Chrome and Opera.

When I open the panorama and click on a hotspot I get a small window appear on top. At no point am I getting a window covering the panorama, or the panorama disappearing.

Is it possible you can do some screen shots so I can see.
Many thanks

Edit, This is what i get.
Attachments
Screen shot.JPG
Screen shot.JPG (98.79 KiB) Viewed 14353 times
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
smooth

Hopki wrote:Hi Smooth
What are you seeing???
hopki.jpg
hopki.jpg (38.33 KiB) Viewed 14351 times
A whole lot of black. The panorama is buried.

Regards, Smooth 8)
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Smooth
Thanks for that, I suspected you had Opera, Opera opens a new tab, that’s an Opera thing and the only browser that does it in my tests. :(
Close that tab to return to the panorama.

I see why you think it opens a new full size window and that window opens the chromless window. The fact is that it does not; when I tested different JavaScript window openers in Opera they all do the same thing.

Testing the same script with other web browsers they all worked fine. I also remember Fire Fox doing this some time back, then after one of the updates they made it open how it should.

Looking at the web stats, Opera for Windows is creeping up the rankings, I just hope they sort it out soon.
Regards
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com