Resizing browser window out of sync with viewer

Special forum to share and discuss skins for Pano2VR and Object2VR
DemonDuck

http://pancyl.com/Driveway.html

The above is the test I've been working on to see how I like Pano2VR. So far I've been able to work through my lack of knowledge with all your help. I have another question --

When the browser window is resized larger, the viewer doesn't resize larger until I release the mouse button or slow the movement of the mouse. This leave a gap on the bottom and right hand side. Likewise, when I resize the browser window smaller, the view is clipped by the bottom and right side of the browser window.

Other viewers don't behave that way. Is there some parameter in the project window that I'm not setting right? How do I force the viewer to resize in sync with the browser window? So if I make the browser window larger, the view gets larger in sync?

I'm on W7 64 with Intel graphics. I see this in FF3. IE8 resizes with an outline and doesn't really resize until after the mouse has been released. So it's not a real issue with IE8.
Sebastian

Hi there DemonDuck

I hope it does not come off as rude but I'm curious why would you worry about that? I seldom find myself (if ever) dragging browser window corners while surfing the web :) , and even if I did change the window size for whatever reason, I don't believe it would bother me that much.

Going back to the subject:
I don't believe there is much you can do about it. ActionScript uses "Stage class" and the "onresize" event handler to Invoked functions when the SWF file is resized. The handler and listener is there to monitor the changes in stage in particular time intervals. This is hard coded within the file itself. It's not an option that can be control from outside of the file, and I have not seen any property within the Pano2VR gui that would allow such control. You could increase the FPS, but keep in mind that Frame Per Seconds (Frame Rate) is not actual accelerator, it is a speed limiter which prevents the file from running too fast, on very fast computers. By setting it to higher value, you could speed up the file and way the file process the actions, tho on the other hand, you could also reduce the performance while running the file on slower/older computer. With very high Frame Rate, Flash try to keep up with your preference, taking whatever available resource to sustain. If the are not many resources available, it will slow down and reduce performance.

Perhaps you could request from the author to adjust that, it's not big deal from the coding point of view. I believe it was overlooked because, again, as I said above, no one really drags windows while surfing the web :) And even if they do, no one will bother with it.
DemonDuck

Sebastian wrote:Hi there DemonDuck

I hope it does not come off as rude but I'm curious why would you worry about that? I seldom find myself (if ever) dragging browser window corners while surfing the web :)

Perhaps you could request from the author to adjust that, it's not big deal from the coding point of view. I believe it was overlooked because, again, as I said above, no one really drags windows while surfing the web :) And even if they do, no one will bother with it.
I don't think you are being rude -- don't worry about that. But people complain about the smallest details and some will judge the whole on the smallest defect.

I noticed it and I think it cheapens the whole presentation. And the assumption that nobody or very few people will resize the browser window is just not a valid assumption for demographic except yourself.

Pano2VR is the very first Flash viewer I've seen that has this problem. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough at the other viewers. But I know that FPP does not have this problem and I've never seen a KRPano presentation behave this way, so I know that there is a way to program around it. And from what I know of object oriented programming, this is usually fixed by tweaking the resize event handler -- which already exists. So it shouldn't be a hard fix. And better fixed than not fixed....

DD
erik leeman

With my multi-loaders I am having similar problems, but more of a 'sticky zoom' nature.
I see it in your example too, so it's also visible on single panos.

The effects manifests itself when I quickly zoom with my scroll wheel.
Zooming in, the FoV will stop changing at a certain point, only to jump a step further when I pan the pano a bit.
When zooming out quickly, sometimes some of the cubefaces that should come into view (in the corners) remain invisible until I give the pano a little 'push'.

My computer is quite old and slow compared to contemporary ones, so that has to be a significant factor, but I still find it odd that the required updating of the view prematurely stops (or doesn't happen at all in some cases) until I rotate (pan) the panorama. I think that shouldn't happen, no matter how slow the hardware is. In my multi-loaders I've built in a quick-'n-dirty workaround that works most of the time, but alas not always : (

Erik
DemonDuck

erik leeman wrote:With my multi-loaders I am having similar problems, but more of a 'sticky zoom' nature.
I see it in your example too, so it's also visible on single panos.

The effects manifests itself when I quickly zoom with my scroll wheel.
Zooming in, the FoV will stop changing at a certain point, only to jump a step further when I pan the pano a bit.
When zooming out quickly, sometimes some of the cubefaces that should come into view (in the corners) remain invisible until I give the pano a little 'push'.

Erik
I see the "sticky zoom" also. I see it when zooming in or out with the mouse wheel. If I zoom in or out with the mouse wheel, it looks like the pano zooms with no problems. Then when I start to pan, the pano makes another small jump in the same direction that I was zooming.

Never noticed that before -- thanks a lot Eric -- now there's something else that annoys me :-)

I'm running on w7 with a fast processor so it's not just an old'n'slow computer problem.

And I just saw another little weird problem. Go fullscreen and look at a corner where three cube faces meet while you zoom in and out with the mouse wheel. It looks like a little portion of the corner moves out of sync with the rest of the corner. If you look up toward the trees, it looks like the wind is moving a branch -- which could be a really nice effect if it was possible.

I think this is similar to your invisible piece problem Erik but on my computer it is just an incomplete update of the cube faces. This might be a Flash bug. I don't know where to look to check that out.

DD
360Texas

I have been working with this software for several years, your full screen "sticky zoom/in - rotate" is the first time I noticed it.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
erik leeman

I have been working with this software for several years, your full screen "sticky zoom/in - rotate" is the first time I noticed it.
Well, this software has changed quite a bit over the years, it has evolved, grown in functionality to a considerable extend.
It must have become incredibly complex compared to what it was not too long ago, and we must not forget that Flash player itself has changed quite a bit too!

Problems are inevitable under conditions like this, and when they happen no one is to 'blame' for it, but we shouldn't ignore them either.
Let's just hope Thomas finds a cure.

Erik
ronrack

I have noticed this behavior for a long time now and coincidentally just brought it up of the Panotools list and found out about this thread. I notice it when I click the full screen button, the window resizes but the pano can lag behind sometimes as much as 8 -10 seconds before it resizes, very frustrating when you are trying to do professional presentations. I have never noticed this with any panos from FPP or KR

ron rack
http://360around.com
Ron Rack
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
http://360around.com
360Texas

Ron, you might also be Demon Duck with sunglasses ?

See Duck with pink bill..... You might have to do a browser refresh to see the yellow duck in the page header
http://rackphoto.com/pp/about/
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
360Texas

Code: Select all

but the pano can lag behind sometimes as much as 8 -10 seconds before it resizes,
You must have a very slow video card.

Even with a video card with 256kb ram the switch to full screen is almost "Instant".
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
DemonDuck

360Texas wrote:

Code: Select all

but the pano can lag behind sometimes as much as 8 -10 seconds before it resizes,
You must have a very slow video card.

Even with a video card with 256kb ram the switch to full screen is almost "Instant".
No! It's not. I have Intel integrated graphics GX45. Other viewers do go fullscreen "almost instant" I can't see any resizing delay whatsoever. But Pano2VR viewer does show the bottom and right empty space for a few milliseconds. Long enough to notice.

You guys gotta stop thinking that the viewer is working perfectly. It's not.
360Texas

I have not had any complaints from the folks I work with.

The issues you have pointed out repeatedly are very very minor.

I guess I would have to now ask.... What is your point ?

Do you have a recommeded alternative ? Are you selling something that works better?
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
DemonDuck

Ok, just trying to help. Seems you don't want my help. I'll say no more....
360Texas

Help by pointing out minor issue is ok. Your comments are noted.

Questions.

The small edge lifting noted in your comment can be seen IF you are using Flash Viewer 8.

It also can be seen if you did not use the default settings in Pano2vr version 2.3.1

When you created your panorama with Pano2VR did you select Flash 9/10 ?
Is your browser using the Adobe Flash viewer version 10 plug in ?

Do you have Adobe Flash Viewer Version 10 Stand-Alone [it 5.58mb called debugger] installed on your computer. Meaning your compiled flash_out.swf should not have to use your web browser to view it. The Stand alone Debugger program is the Flash viewer runs by itself. This small program is available on Adobe 'Download' page.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
360Texas

Your pancyl.com cylinder fades to black during the transition to full screen.

Pano2vr transitions through white to full screen and therefore might be giving the impression of a momentary "blink"

Just an observation
Dave
Visit 360texas.com