Is there any wildcards tecnics for ids in skin editor?

Special forum to share and discuss skins for Pano2VR and Object2VR
privatem

Hi, everybody.

You've done a great work around pano and object projects. And you've made a very good information base to make the learinig curve for this projects really short. Great job guys!

I'm curious if there is any way to target actions to group of objects with the same root but with different suffixes? There some situations when $parent and $child techniques don't work. I believe that many people would be happy if there is some symbol like "?" or "*" that mean "any symbol" or “any number of symbol” :D % prefix works only for group of objects with the same ids, but it would be great to have an ability to use some syntax like "%name*" that can make skin programming really comfortable when we talk about large number of navigation elements.

If somebody can kindly find time and say something about this, that's would be wonderful.

Good luck to gardengnomesoftware team! :D
360Texas

Yes, I think so:

http://gardengnomesoftware.com/wiki/Main_Page

Then look under Reference and Skin Place holders or other reference topics
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
DemonDuck

360Texas wrote:Yes, I think so:

http://gardengnomesoftware.com/wiki/Main_Page

Then look under Reference and Skin Place holders or other reference topics
I think the poster was asking if there was a way to reference more than one object using a regular expression like "*" for all. Or a way to reference all children on a particular branch of a parent.

Also -- is that page still current? There is no $self on that page.
privatem

Hi again.

First of all, thanks to 360Texas and DemonDuck for paying attention to my topic.

DemonDuck is absolutely right. I'll try to explain the situation when it is very hard to use standard placeholders. For example when we click on some small image button we need to set all larger images off (alpha=0) and set one of them (that describes currently pressed button) on (alpha=1). Yes, we have an ability to target each of these images and make all except one alpha=0 and this one alpha=1, but you know, when you are creating a skin for tour with many entering points with external skins for each pano this would be a great help for making not bad scripts. I'm not very bad in actionscript, but as if I understand the naming system is an attribute of pano2vr itself, so when it's trying to find a right target for the action it makes a String comparison like "==" for name depicted in a field "target" with an array of skin objects. When we use % I believe that pano2vr behaving the same way, but not stopping after finding the instance with the target name, but going along the array of skin objects. So, if there is some advanced logic in this process that makes possible to target instance group and then a single object in this group, that's would be great.

GL :D
privatem

P.S. And what about current pano tracing, it's easy to do this with $u* family of placeholders (as if I understand, thanks to Hopki :D ), so, that's not a big problem :D
privatem

Sorry, DemonDuck, you're absolutely right about question with tracing current pano. There is no way to use $u* placeholders in target field of actions in skin editor. I see partial solution to use php or any other server side code (or js, but i don't like client side solutions) to make changes in skin xml itself. But, of course, firstly we should make a good namespace for panos.

And is there any explanation about fovmode property?
privatem

But above mentioned partial solution works only if you use "Goto UTL" type of panos linking, but not really advanced "Open next Panorama", so, that's not a cool solution :D Wish to see a small part of code that uses pano2vr for dealing with object names to understand it's logic and maybe find some tips for community :D But, I believe it's impossible. I don't use decompillers so, se la vie :D

I've patiently examined documentation section of your site and didn't find a direct link to skin actions description page. If i'm right and somebody from ggs team will have some time to make it, i think that many people would be happy. What about me, i've found this page thru search engine and not thru direct link. That's only advice for good people)
erik leeman

You mean a skin editor wildcard like this one (%)?:

Hopki
Gnome

privatem wrote:Sorry, DemonDuck, you're absolutely right about question with tracing current pano. There is no way to use $u* placeholders in target field of actions in skin editor. I see partial solution to use php or any other server side code (or js, but i don't like client side solutions) to make changes in skin xml itself. But, of course, firstly we should make a good namespace for panos.

And is there any explanation about fovmode property?
As a test I tried it and all works ok.
This version of Pano2VR can use placeholders in target and value fields in the skin.

They do not work in the target field of a point or area hotspot, but in the skin and open next panorama they do.
Regards
Hopki :)

Edit, you can have some fun with this, set a view in a place holder and then an action in the skin to move to view when loaded.

You can click in a point hotspot looking the way you are going, but then when loaded turnaround the way you came. Good for end of tour.
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
privatem

Good day to everybody.

Erik, Hopki, thanks a lot!

Erik, % prefix is just a way to target all the elements with the same ID, but not a wildcard to target for example elements with IDs: "element1" and "element2" at the same time, so, that's not a solution for this topic.

The result of this topic for now is: no solution for wildcard question.

Hopki, could you be so kind to make a link to ggsk file where there is for example "Change element position" action with working $ut or some other $u* placeholder in target field. I've tried to hide the element with the same ID as "User Data - Title" after clicking on it using $ut placeholder in target field, but there was no effect at all. So, if it is possible show us your magic :D

P.S. I've tried to do this in ver. 2.3.1.
Hopki
Gnome

www.addresstoview.com/ph

The above will open a test:

The white rectangle starts life with position X:0 & Y:0
On load it picks up a placeholder which moves it to 100/100.

The hotspot to the left open a pano with the data: 100/200, so moves it down by 100px.

The third panorama has the data 200/400, so moving once more, Is this waht you are after?

By the way if you use * in an element Hotspot proxy, this will activate the element no matter which hotspot you click on.

I have used this many times and can be seen here:
http://www.hopkimedia.co.uk/robot

hover over the robots head the arrow that pops up is the same arrow for three hotspots in the object image, Head, Chest and key hole. The arrow has * as hotspot proxy ID.

All the best Hopki :)
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
privatem

Hopki, thanks for spending some time to make demo. I really liked what i've found thru your links!) It's really interesting techniques for those who pay much attention to small things to achieve the best as possible results in the whole :D But i believe you use placeholders in "Offset X/Y" field, but not in "Target" field of actions. And my experiments still shows me that the placeholders like $ut don't work in "Target" field of actions. The reason for searching a solution to identify current scene thru for example $ut is, that it gives ability to build interfaces showing the current active pano in the tour with the minimum number of action fields in skin editor. But this technique require to name some skin elements the same way as some User data fields and target this elements using these User data fields.

So, i'm very sorry, but it is seems that it's not possible neither to locate current pano in target field nor to use wildcards to build advanced scripting logic in the skin :(