How can I improve my custom hotspots ?

Special forum to share and discuss skins for Pano2VR and Object2VR
Peter Stephens

Hi,

I've just learnt how to produce custom hotspots in my VR's as you can see in this tour - http://www.peterstephens.co.uk/gsf.php I'm finding that the arrows look a little pixely. The png files look fine once in the skin editor but not in the VR? I've tried using larger arrows and reducing the size by 50%, but this didn't work. How can I improve them?

Also, I've moved some of the hotspots slightly from their original positions but they didn't change once I processed the images again - a little odd, I'll have another look at that soon.

Cheers,

Pete
wolff

Hi,

wow, beautiful pano and controlling! Intuitive.

The arrows should be plain and not pixely if you don't change the size and measure of it in the skin editor. No scaling, no reducing etc., just the original size. That should solve your problem.

Best Regards,
Wolff
Peter Stephens

Thanks for your comments :D

I did that to start with, but had the same problem which is why (for some reason) tried using a larger image of an arrow and scalling it down. I'll have another go at 100% again.

Cheers,

Pete
mhc1

Nice panos Peter,
did you change the image size ?

I had theses issues in the Skin Editor too - just as Wolff said: increasing the
size was the solution.
PMtv2000

Panos look good but your right about the hotspots, not sure if this helps but I'm doing a tour at the moment and I'm using a .png at full size of 50 pxs square and they look fine, so it's most probably the rescaling that's doing it.
Simply Intelligent Media
mhc1

Thanky you.
My image size for the controller is 32 pix.
As far as I see you don´t have a resize option in Pano2VR- so you just
create the final size you need.

I downsized a 800px JPG in PS just by saving the PNG.
Peter Stephens

OK, I've sorted this out now. I've been playing around with it all morning (finnaly got the time to do this) :D I tried making the arrows smaller and diplaying them at 100% rather than 50%, but that didn't work. Changed the angle from 10 degrees back to 0 and they look fine again as you can see here - http://www.peterstephens.co.uk/gsf.php Has anyone any advice on what angles do and don't work or what type of image/hotspot is best ? I much prefered using the arrows at a slight angle, but the pixely look wasn't good enough.

Cheers,

Pete
Andrew H

Hello Peter

Were you rotating your arrows in the skin editor? If so, have you tried rotating them to the desired angle in an image editor (e.g. Photoshop) and making new .png files, so that you can place them in the skin editor without using its rotation (i.e. with the default angle of 0 degrees)?

If the pixely effect is a consequence of rotation in Flash at display time this might help.

Just a thought ...

Regards

Andrew
Peter Stephens

Good point, I don't know why I didn't try that. Shall give it a go !! Thank you.

Pete